AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

You mean XMP? If so, that's not really overclocking. Well I guess technically it is, but still.
Nope, I've obviously seen that before...
As @RasmusP said, this MSI BIOS has something called Memory Try it! Catchy innit?
And it looks like it allows you to try all sorts of different speeds and timings and test them.
I've not tried it yet as my Hyper X Predators are running at 3200 from the XMP profile and thought I'd just leave it like that for now whilst I get things bedded in.
Once it's all running well I'll look at tweaking it all.
So far I'm pretty happy with the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon.

New bios and chipset did nothing for me if anything it made it worse

MSI reps on reddit are now tellling you to turn off Precision Boost as well
I guess it would not matter 3900X gets nowhere near 4.6Ghz one core let two
Show me a 3900X constantly hitting 4.6Ghz and I will eat the motherboard lol

So it seems like the boost values AMD has advertised are based on hypothetical best case scenarios and are unlikely to be achieved in real world use cases

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases

Look at this new Bios and chipset thread issues my mobo
Some people saying won't post with Samsung M2 Plus or Pro ( If you look back I already said that )
My Samsung 970 and 960 M2's ( both slower models ) are probably the only thing working for me although they do feel laggy

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/cjriso/b450_pro_carbon_ac_beta_bios_v18_officially/
I think "good" might mean it posts and starts when he hits the button, it's a relative term
lol

Depressing to watch simple CPU-Z bench drop from 8,000+ to low 7000's

Last edited:
I’m quite disappointed in AMD stretching the truth of boost clocks as they have. They are counting small ms bursts on a single core doing very light workloads as peak boost when in reality it’s not able to sustain a meaningful workload.

Intel could do the same and claim 5.5ghz on their i9’s but we would take them to task for it because it’s deceptive.

I’m all over the underdog doing well but not at the expense of throwing out established norms and bending the truth.

Yeah as a link says AMD has become INTEL overnight
and you can forget about price war they are both going to bleed us dry drip by drip :devilish:

On a good note I really like that new TV Series The Boys ....better then bench tests ;)

II found my 3900X problem, you won't believe this...........

Kraken cooler has a thick USB lead for pump and I had to end up passing it over the top of the memory
I tightened down pump as far as felt okay.
Today I pulled it apart to send back and when I pulled the pump off I got he biggest shock in decades of building PCs
On the CPU was the tiniest sliver of TIM .on one edge and on the pump perfect TIM with tiny bit missing
As I was tightening pump the cable was tight against top of memory so what I thought was tight was
not even mated

In other words the CPU sustained all the days of benching and 90C temps with no TIM whatsoever :confused:lol
Put new PC together again, bent USB wire clear of memory and lined the Tim best I could
Few quick tests showed it to be 20-30c cooler

Had a mate turn up soon after to fix 3 PC ( it's 5am) so had not had a chance to bench yet
got a smile on my face at last

Glad to hear you found the issue.
They do run very well...despite the core clock deficit.
I love my 3600X setup...especially after sorting the long boot.
RF2 never loaded so fast.
You can launch Ryzen Master and see the sheer cores usage by sims.
It is quite a bit more than first stated.
I still believe MSI should be ashamed of how woefully unprepared they appeared to be.
The amount of time in anticipation of this CPU launch does not seem to have been well used.

Last edited:
The 3xxx is straight forward:
- Keep temps low
- Enable PBO and let it do it's thing. That's close to your best performance across numerous scenarios
- Match mem, fclk, uclk for best performance and lowest latency example: 1800, 1800, 1800
- optional/advanced: Tighten secondary timings and test
- optional/advanced: Tighten tertiary timings and test

That's all you can do. People keep thinking some magic formula for getting all core boost to be the same as single core boast are going to keep being disappointed. This isn't an intel platform.

The 3xxx is straight forward:
- Keep temps low
- Enable PBO and let it do it's thing. That's close to your best performance across numerous scenarios
- Match mem, fclk, uclk for best performance and lowest latency example: 1800, 1800, 1800
- optional/advanced: Tighten secondary timings and test
- optional/advanced: Tighten tertiary timings and test

That's all you can do. People keep thinking some magic formula for getting all core boost to be the same as single core boast are going to keep being disappointed. This isn't an intel platform.
You're 'nailed' this 100%.
I see guys complaining..."my 4.4 GHz chip is only doing 4.375 GHz"...like that is going to somehow make any real difference to gaming.
As you've indicated, set the darn thing with optimal settings and forget about it.
My memory specifies 1.35 volts. I've set that.
Turned off a few things not used at this time like parallel port, serial port, etc... enabled current protection and fan failure mode...that's it.
The thing is stable as a boulder and quick.

Last edited:
UPDATE FOR MY BUILD

RYZEN 3900X
MSI B450 GAMING CARBON PRO AC ( Rev:1.0 Bios:1.80 )
G.SKILL 16GB F4-3200MHz CL16 ( El Cheapo )
GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M2 with WINDOWS 10 HOME RETAIL 64BIT 1903
PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV X TOWER
NZXT KRAKEN X62 280MM AIO
PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W PSU

1. Updated Bios first time using Flash Bios Button
2. Ryzen Master issue won't start resolved by re-enabling Workstation in Services
3. Testing: - Manual 1.35v 32c Idle :) under 60C for 3DMark Vantage and Steam demo
4. Updated Kraken Cam ( support 3000) all readings now correct and set to "performance" very quiet
5. Still stress testing to do
6. Running really nice now :barefoot:
7. BT5 :inlove:

Unresolved issues: Voltages and bugcode: NDIS ( WIFI causes blue screen )

Last edited:
Gotta say I'm glad you got most of your issues resolved.
I felt bad the other night when I just installed Win10 in about 10 mins and everything went smoothly without issue.
My wifi and bluetooth work flawlessly too.

Just FYI
MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC also updated to latest bios with flash bios button, think it's called M-Flash?
HyperX Predator LED 3200 Mhz kit (also cheapest I could find here)
Palit GTX1070 Gamerock (hate the name but it runs at 1924Mhz without oc'ing, cool and quiet)
Win10 Pro installed from USB drive onto a new Kingston a400 120GB m.2 drive in port M2_1 I think. Pretty quick and I wouldn't notice if quicker loading than the Crucial boot drive it replaces below.
Most played titles stored on Crucial MX300 SSD 256GB and Intel 540 120GB drives
2TB WD Black for all other titles and media files for Plex etc.

I'll try some benchmark tests soon but the reason I had to get it put together so quickly was for the rF2 race this morning

Last edited:
Wifi is okay once I install Intel Proset then go back and enable in bios
I don't really need wireless probably better if I disable the attraction
to me wa solely remove another lead from tower lol p
Bios is also a bit laggy no biggie

A nice surprise is to find my Coolermaster Lite K/B and mouse now work in the Orico 15 port hub as well as my usb3.0 dual docking bay has booted every time with Ryzen
None where reliable in hub with Intel board which seems odd to me

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 475 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 288 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 312 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 139 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 182 26.8%
Back