AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

You might want to look into either activating the ultra low latency "ultra" mode or using temporal upscaling in combination with a fps limit.
The input lag of acc is pretty huge anyway but 100% GPU utilization increases the input lag a lot:
V-Sync-OFF-BarChart-Big.png
I don't feel anything awkward but I will give it a try...Thanks for the tip!

Graphics Card:
Source: Rockpapershotgun
GTX-1060-vs-1660-Super-1080-High.png

CPUs:

i7 4790: 2229 ST and 7217 MT
AMD 3600: 2582 ST and 17859 MT
i5 9400f: 2482 ST and 9550 MT
(5600x : 3379 ST and 22160 MT)

Or in FPS: (4790 set to 60 fps)
i7 4790: 60 ST and 60 MT
AMD 3600: 70 ST and 148 MT
i5 9400f: 67 ST and 79 MT
(5600x : 91 ST and 184 MT)

Most simracing titles only gain FPS up to 5 physical cores. So it will be somewhere between the ST and MT difference.
Probably about 72 fps with the 9400f and 76 fps with the 3600.
(And 96 with the 5600x)

If these upgrades are worth it is up to you. I personally wouldn't do it but if you really need an upgrade right now, it might be worth it.
However getting an AMD 5600x right now and then upgrading the graphics card to something like a used 2060 later on will be a lot better...
Or maybe a Radeon 5700 when lots of people upgrade to the latest AMD cards.

RTX 2060: (Source: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefo...60-Ti-Benchmarks-Preis-Specs-Release-1335562/)

Dirt Rally 2.0:
View attachment 496733

Just wanted to update here as i ended up getting the Ryzen 5 3600 build, it had GTX 1060 6GB and the CPU was head and shoulders over my i7 4790.
Even managed MSFS 2020 on mixture of medium / high settings so well well chuffed.
Then today i just installed an RTX 2070....

So i am hoping to see some more improvements!

Also i am runing my Ryzen 5 3600 with the 'processor power' on 99% instead of 100% so i don't boost over base, and it keeps it cool and seems to not effect my performance, though i am a 60hz playing and quite happy with that so might make the difference...

I know RTX 2070 on 60hz... sacriledge.

Last edited:

This, thank you Rasmus.
Yes it was a tip on the MSFS forum which for some reason just works certanly on MSFS.
CPU stays at 49-52 playing MSFS.

Because its a new to me system i'm playing it safe and keeping tabs on temps etc. Like i say i only play in 60hz anyway, i'm still blown away by it all as i don't know any different.
I guess 4k to 1080p would hurt.
Same as its worse to go from a Mansion to a 4 bed house, yet i am just happy to have a house!

Mt RTX 2070 does run quite hot though compared to my 1060 6gb.

CPU stays at 49-52 playing MSFS.
As far as I read, MSFS is pretty much single thread limited though so letting the CPU boost as high as possible would result in a lot higher fps. And probably not very high temps, since not all cores are heavily loaded.
What temps are you getting with 100% in the power plan?

These modern CPUs are basically indestructible from temps. They just clock down when getting too hot.
Laptops are even designed like that. They boost until they hit the "target temp" and then adjust the fan speed to maintain a good mix of loudness and needed performance.
There's a video where der8auer (German pro overclocker) takes off the cooler from an i7 8700k while running a stresstest.
He thought the PC would shut off but instead the 8700k just throttles down when hitting 100°c.
After a while it comes down to 98°c and starts to boost up again :roflmao:

If your CPU stays below 80°c, there's no reason to worry. If it goes close to 90°c, I would make sure that it's not staying that hot for longer periods.

Sure, high temps lead to "degeneration" but regarding this:
We're talking about overclocking to the absolute maximum stable mix of as low voltage as possible and as high clockspeeds as possible.
And after 1-2 years you will need to give it one click more voltage and one click lower clock speeds.

If you're just running stock settings with the standard boost speeds, it will probably need more than 10 years to get the CPU unstable when boosting when it's staying above 80°c for longer periods.

49-52°c is super low. And nice for your room temperature in the summer hehe.
My 10600k shoots to 70°c when clicking on a youtube video. But only for about 5 seconds... It's just how CPUs are today.
Mt RTX 2070 does run quite hot though compared to my 1060 6gb.
Yeah it probably pulls about twice as much energy too hehe.
You could try to undervolt it if you want your room to stay cooler. I brought my 3080 down from 1900 MHz @ 1.025 mV to 1830 MHz @ 830 mV.
Doing a standard 20 people multiplayer race in daylight and dry conditions, while being around 65% load, the power consumption dropped from 310W to 190W :)

As far as I read, MSFS is pretty much single thread limited though so letting the CPU boost as high as possible would result in a lot higher fps. And probably not very high temps, since not all cores are heavily loaded.
What temps are you getting with 100% in the power plan?

These modern CPUs are basically indestructible from temps. They just clock down when getting too hot.
Laptops are even designed like that. They boost until they hit the "target temp" and then adjust the fan speed to maintain a good mix of loudness and needed performance.
There's a video where der8auer (German pro overclocker) takes off the cooler from an i7 8700k while running a stresstest.
He thought the PC would shut off but instead the 8700k just throttles down when hitting 100°c.
After a while it comes down to 98°c and starts to boost up again :roflmao:

If your CPU stays below 80°c, there's no reason to worry. If it goes close to 90°c, I would make sure that it's not staying that hot for longer periods.

Sure, high temps lead to "degeneration" but regarding this:
We're talking about overclocking to the absolute maximum stable mix of as low voltage as possible and as high clockspeeds as possible.
And after 1-2 years you will need to give it one click more voltage and one click lower clock speeds.

If you're just running stock settings with the standard boost speeds, it will probably need more than 10 years to get the CPU unstable when boosting when it's staying above 80°c for longer periods.

49-52°c is super low. And nice for your room temperature in the summer hehe.
My 10600k shoots to 70°c when clicking on a youtube video. But only for about 5 seconds... It's just how CPUs are today.

Yeah it probably pulls about twice as much energy too hehe.
You could try to undervolt it if you want your room to stay cooler. I brought my 3080 down from 1900 MHz @ 1.025 mV to 1830 MHz @ 830 mV.
Doing a standard 20 people multiplayer race in daylight and dry conditions, while being around 65% load, the power consumption dropped from 310W to 190W :)

MSFS as benchmark (its all i play right now).
I'll test again now at 100% and report back the CPU temps.

I think i will under volt my 2070 as you say.

EDIT*
OK so put power settings back to max 100%
MSFS GPU prefer max performance as well.
CPU on quick flight around Scottish highlands was boosting up and down and fluctuating
from 50c hoovering around 59-64c and intermitedly going up to 70-72c but quickly coming down.

GPU 2070 with custom fan curve not too aggressive was around 62-68c but average i'd say 66c.

I certainly think temps can scare you, but yes i doubt those are anything to worry about and i can't see any other game i play being as taxing as MSFS.

Last edited:
These temperatures are nothing to worry about, nice!
GPUs were normally around 80°c. Some newer cards have massive coolers though for air restrictive cases. For some reason (probably to boost a bit higher than the competition), these cards have pretty aggressive fan curves.

My tuf 3080 on auto fans stays around 62°c and won't stop the fans as long as it stays in 3D mode so sometimes it drops down to 48°c in menus...

My old msi 1070 was hovering around 78°c on auto fans.

Anyway, GPUs are totally fine around 80°c but won't boost as high with the modern boosting-algorithm-vBios.
The memory on the back starts to throttle at 110°c and with the 3080 cards this is an issue.
Not all coolers do a sufficient job on the memory. But when reading about these 110°c even I got a bit worried!

You might be able to read out that temperature with hwinfo64 (click on sensors only in the launcher).

EDIT:
Had a quick look for undervolting data.
Apparently 925 mV at 1900 MHz.

How to do undervolting quickly with nvidia: (video is for 30xx but it works like that for all modern nvidia cards!)

Last edited:
These temperatures are nothing to worry about, nice!
GPUs were normally around 80°c. Some newer cards have massive coolers though for air restrictive cases. For some reason (probably to boost a bit higher than the competition), these cards have pretty aggressive fan curves.

My tuf 3080 on auto fans stays around 62°c and won't stop the fans as long as it stays in 3D mode so sometimes it drops down to 48°c in menus...

My old msi 1070 was hovering around 78°c on auto fans.

Anyway, GPUs are totally fine around 80°c but won't boost as high with the modern boosting-algorithm-vBios.
The memory on the back starts to throttle at 110°c and with the 3080 cards this is an issue.
Not all coolers do a sufficient job on the memory. But when reading about these 110°c even I got a bit worried!

You might be able to read out that temperature with hwinfo64 (click on sensors only in the launcher).

EDIT:
Had a quick look for undervolting data.
Apparently 925 mV at 1900 MHz.

How to do undervolting quickly with nvidia: (video is for 30xx but it works like that for all modern nvidia cards!)

Cheers Rasmus, incredibly helpful stuff and a nice insight for someone like me who is a, dust the case out everyday kinda guy...
This stuff is expensive and i like to take care of it.
Undervolting and keeping a check on temps helps me stay less anxious!

Last edited:
Just built a 2nd PC for SWMBO using some used parts, including an R5 3600. Turns out its even better than mine!
I was getting 4.35GHz all core at 1262mV.
This one reached 4.35GHz all core at 1200mV, according to CTR (1usmus' programme for Ryzen tuning) it can do a 4035Mhz all-core at just 1020mV:geek:

Sadly it's currently on the stock cooler, hoping to resolve that soon as in cinebench its hitting thermal limits on standard settings:confused: CTR reckons it might be possible to hit 4.5Ghz all-core with around 1.3v!

looking good
F1_2021.jpg

"The $289 Intel Core i5-12600K is easily the best CPU for gaming in its $260 to $289 price bracket, which is where most gamers shop.
The 12600K is truly the mainstream gamer's chip, with up to 38% more threaded performance than the Ryzen 5 5600X and 7% more than the Ryzen 7 5800X. Coupled with the snappy single-threaded performance, this is the mainstream gaming chip to beat."
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Last edited:
The 12600K is truly the mainstream gamer's chip, with up to 38% more threaded performance than the Ryzen 5 5600X

Am I right in thinking that the 'threaded performance' referred to is across all the cores and not something I am likely to see the full benefit of with the likes of AC?

I'm struggling to source the i5 for less than the R5 and added to that the R5 price also includes the cooler and I won't have to consider upgrading my PSU either.

threaded performance
"The Core i5-12600K is 25% and 52% faster than Ryzen 5
in the single-threaded and multi-threaded tests"

"... the blue camp proposal is much more expensive.
People interested in overclocking must buy a Z690 motherboard
– the prices of such models start from $199 – $349,
though for better design with lots of extra features you may also spend about $499.
For comparison, good models for AMD AM4 with the X570 chipset cost about $199 – $299."

single.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-ryzen-7-5800x-cpu-face-off

Last edited:
Agree the R5 is massively overpriced now. The i5 even out performs the 5800x as well.

This may change following the next AMD announcement at CES on the 4th of Jan where they announce Zen 3D adding 3x the level 3 cashe to all the Ryzen cpus which is supposedly going to level the single core performance again, or close the gap enough. This may also address the price issue for the 5600x as it’s blatantly too much now. If you are buying the entire platform from scratch it’s worth getting the intel i5 with a ddr4 motherboard right now for sure.

Bit surprised the 5600x hasn’t dropped in price yet if it was closer to 200 it would be a bargain, may be because Alder lake isn’t selling well or because people cannot buy ddr5 and holding off. Don’t know.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%