PC3 Another Project CARS Title in The Works?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3 Confirmed.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head Ian Bell has reportedly confirmed the smash hit Project CARS franchise is due another new release - Project CARS 3 is in the works...

Never one to be shy with the big predictions, Bell has taken to the GT Planet forums to confirm to fans that another Project CARS game is in the works by Slightly Mad Studios, and with a typical shyness we've all come to expect from new PCARS news, Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".

Now call me a sceptic, but we've heard statements like this before in relation to Project CARS games, and although both PCARS 1 and 2 certainly do some things very well indeed, for many players they often leave more than a little to be desired in comparison to their main sim racing rivals.. especially when compared to some of the grandiose statements made by the developers during the build up period prior to release.

Now of course this "announcement" is very early in nature, and as such very little is known about the intentions of SMS and the development path of PCARS 3, but one thing is for sure, whenever a PCARS title is in the works, plenty of excitement is sure to follow..

Stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

i don't know how you can possibly claim that when other sims were massively more popular than pcars despite not having these features.

besides rf2 had these too, so saying its cause of pcars isn't true
Making steps has nothing to do with popularity, and Pcars2 is not less popular than other sims.
Yes rfactor2 has these features, but it is an awful user experience ignoring 20 years of software evolution and not popular among the mass market users. It, for sure, is not an example to reproduce for other sims (personnally I like it, but I've been using this kind of awful piece of software for many years).

Complete nonsense, SMS and both games had a plethora of REAL racing drivers actively involved in the development process. I'd rather a game developed with the opinions of Ben Collins et al than some no mark armchair racing "expert". Like most people here are. Get off your high horses for gawds sakes, it's truly pathetic, if any of you lot had any sort of real skill you'd be real racing drivers and or in the industry already. Just a bunch of the worst types of critic mashing their keyboards over a game that costs less than a night out as if it's the worst thing to happen to humanity. Get a grip you spuds.
It's even more pathetic to live in a delusion and think that people paid to say something positive about any given product are genuine in what they're promoting.
The games are so great, yet all of those professional racing drivers paid to promote it do not actually use them as their training tools of choice.
It's a marketing stunt. Nothing more, nothing less.

And going by your rants against "armchair experts", the marketing worked on you if you seriously believe what you're saying.
Nobody here or elsewhere thinks to know more than a professional. BUT. Most of them here or elsewhere have enough IQ to see beyond the facade of blatant PR campaigns.
A lot of people out there think that GT is a simulation because of its self-proclaimed "The Real Driving Simulation" subtitle that has been used as a marteking tool in their advertising campaign for over 15 years now, but just saying it doesn't make it so. Here it's essentially the same thing. Just because they claim these games are something they're not (or pay professionals to say it on their behalf), it doesn't mean it's actually true.

The thing why PC2, or more so, SMS gets so much hate is, as mentioned before: They know about the many bugs but are not willing to fix them. PC2 is good, but could be so much better.

And yes, not only PC2 has its problems. Other sims got theirs too and are not bashed so hard for that. But other titles also didn't try to over-hype the game whenever possible. SMS did a huuuuge marketing campaign for their game. No other of the sim titles does put so much effort into this.

So most of blaming SMS is for: not fixing things but caring so much about marketing to get peoples money.
Other developers sound like: we try to simulate everything as good as we can, but it won't always work for several reasons.
SMS sounds like: Look at us, we are the best, we did everything right, we have the best sim out there. They yell it out, so players yell back.

But what I'm seeing in this thread, where a basically good (but not perfect) sim is ripped to pieces as being total crap? It reminds me of how the flight sim business was ripped apart by its own fans. I remember them criticizing Falcon 4 so much that, as of 2018. we still don't have a single flight sim since 1999 that features a dynamic campaign. The devs themselves listed impossible-to-make-happy hardcore flightsim fans (and the high costs associated with placating them) as the primary reason they just stopped trying.

I was C3PO from Lead Pursuit and there were many reasons why Falcon didn't continue ... but I appreciate the warm words for the product. Indeed, the sim was all about an F-16 pilot plonked into the middle of a live and evolving virtual universe of warfare and it felt so alive. The fans were generally super supportive and many super enthusiastic, and with that inevitably you see "factions of fans" coming together with different views and sometimes those views boiled over. But that is a different story from a place long, long ago in games development territory. I am totally in awe of Eagle Dynamics product today in their series ... incredible stuff Matt and his team are doing. But I go off topic :)

PC2 is a really good game, the racing car line up, track selection and inmersion is good. However, the game could have a second season pass and more updates. Is awful how in this sequel we got horrible feedback from the devs, they really could have improved more things, like larger grid sizes, custom grids, mid session save and more cars. But it seems that Ian and his forums guards doesnt like constructive criticism.

No, if you deactivate autoclutch you still have an autoclutch if you misused your manual clutch. You can use your H shifter without touching your clutch while having deactivated auto-clutch (don't forget to lift and blip). The only thing the game does is gearing slower than if you manually clutch. It's a well known simplification, the only one the game has on the clutch.

I'm amazed that my post got 3 people agreeing and 2 disagreeing.
It just means several people are just purely lying about Pcars2 (the ones who agree with me or those who disagree?).

It's insane considering it is so easy to check (and that it is a well known feature on Pcars2 which has been receiving many complaints for months); anyone who owns the game can do it. You just need to try to drive without clutch (and you don't need a 3 pedals set for that :roflmao:).

This experience gives good information about the reliability of people here when reviewing their favorite title...

If Ian Bell is smart he should spare effort, time, money and user frustration just by stick with console versions. No boring stuff to be confronted with: ffb, physics.AI, general gameplay mechanics. Just lovely graphics.

PC2 was nearly perfect for me, with one huge deal-breaking exception:

Almost all of the cars had way too much grip under acceleration.

The result: Infamously tricky cars like the Lotus 49 and Porsche 917/10 that would only understeer. Even coming out of tight hairpins in 1st gear, it was nearly impossible to get them to break traction. I've been told it's a tire issue (they inexplicably put modern tires on these old cars, resulting in way too much grip).

This gave the game an overall "dumbed-down" feel to me, and sent me scurrying back to AC when it became apparent they were never going to fix it. It's a real shame, because I really enjoyed just about every other aspect.
This sounds like a strange excuse. You don't just throw on modern tyres on a car and all of a sudden it's almost impossible to get wheelspin as if it has F1 levels of downforce and 100 hp. Sure, the grip increases, but you should still be able to relatively easily get the back-end out while accelerating hard near/at the limit. Also, I'm guessing it would also have modern-day tyres in the front as well to help keep a similar overall balance. Maybe the car comes default with an insanely unrealistic and understeery setup (on top of high-grip modern-day tyres) which needs to be changed? Just saying "modern-day tyres" sounds like a cop-out excuse. Something doesn't seem correct with the physics if you can just throw on better tyres on a car and all of a sudden it's almost impossible to get wheelspin - that's too simplistic. Sure, the limits will go higher because of more grip but you should still be able to get wheelspin.

Last edited:
I guess the next title is called Project Rally or similar. Bell talked about the idea just before the pCars 2 release. With 11 Rallycross tracks and numerous cars in pCars 2, the snow-feature and the great offroad-physics, it would be throwing pearls to swine if this was only for casual single-player fun-races for the very few that are using it. The Rallycross-implementation seems rather like a demo than a full part of the game and offtrack they only have to deal with the Dirt series and Forza Horizon as competition. Should be easy to blow this out of the water in terms of physics. And knowing California Highway and Azure Coast it seems their fantasy-tracks are a lot better than everything i saw from Codemasters so far.

This community does not stop surprising me. A few months ago, the best simulator was ACC despite being in face of beginning, now the comments are the majority bad, in disagreement ... They compare PC2 with rf2 when the community of these users practically does not exist. They talk about physics when they never got into a racing car, hahaha, they laugh. They have no idea, they speak and they write what they believe or what they read out there ... They have no idea that the physics of PC2 follow the Rfactor guidelines with many more aggregates in simulation, I know perfectly the programming codes of all simus That's why I know I speak, but it's easier for many to become fanatical and defenestrate without meaning. I repeat this community does not cease to amaze me ...

..................................The AI is good. ..............................
But what I'm seeing in this thread, where a basically good (but not perfect) sim is ripped to pieces as being total crap? It reminds me of how the flight sim business was ripped apart by its own fans. I remember them criticizing Falcon 4 so much that, as of 2018. we still don't have a single flight sim since 1999 that features a dynamic campaign. The devs themselves listed impossible-to-make-happy hardcore flightsim fans (and the high costs associated with placating them) as the primary reason they just stopped trying.

The Ai has seriously problems though as soon as it rains. They have always had this problem due to the cars running on different physics. I think trying to get the Ai right has been a nightmare for them. I think if they focused on pc only the game might turn out great but because of restrictions of console it never really delivers.
It's not a bad game its different its its own thing that is fine but how can one dismiss such a serious issue as it not being challenging for an average skilled player.

Complete nonsense, SMS and both games had a plethora of REAL racing drivers actively involved in the development process. I'd rather a game developed with the opinions of Ben Collins et al than some no mark armchair racing "expert". Like most people here are. Get off your high horses for gawds sakes, it's truly pathetic, if any of you lot had any sort of real skill you'd be real racing drivers and or in the industry already. Just a bunch of the worst types of critic mashing their keyboards over a game that costs less than a night out as if it's the worst thing to happen to humanity. Get a grip you spuds.
What about adding yourself to the spud list, talk about being pathetic, and just FYI I have raced karts and I'm in the middle of a racecar build ATM. Also, money buys opinions, just because "driver A" says the game is a top sim doesn't mean he hasn't been payed to say it. Take of the PC tinted glasses, and you might see reality.

if they open up early access , I'll be there again. I really liked being part of the development and the community on their forums

no game is perfect and never will be, compromises have to be made
But Ian Bell stated that the first one had flaws because SMS did what the community, who funded their game, wanted and was pissed off that the same community was saying their sim wasn't realistic.

Was really the community guilty? Or was it a failure in the leading of the project (SMS)?.

At the end personnally, I think the community has some responsability but the final product has been done by SMS. The community gave them trust, and more, gave them money ; SMS had to say "no" when it was needed, it was its responsability.

Are you ready to experience that bad faith again?

Honestly on graphics the only thing that I'd say "blows any other game in development" would be GT Sport replay mode graphics working from cockpit (except the blur) in a dynamic envirnonment. Anything else is just more of the same lol
Oh please man! Assetto Corsa Competizione looks way better than Gran Turismo Sport right now - including the replays, and when realtime ray tracing or even DLSS is added to ACC GT Sport will look even more the console game that it does already.These days GT Sport is simply the best looking console racing game.

But Ian Bell stated that the first one had flaws because SMS did what the community, who funded their game, wanted and was pissed off that the same community was saying their sim wasn't realistic.

Was really the community guilty? Or was it a failure in the leading of the project (SMS)?.

At the end personnally, I think the community has some responsability but the final product has been done by SMS. The community gave them trust, and more, gave them money ; SMS had to say "no" when it was needed, it was its responsability.

Are you ready to experience that bad faith again?
well, it's if you get out of it what you wanted, which I did for both PC1 and PC2, PC1 more of course due to many more reasons including some $$$ bonuses, but I still enjoyed PC2 as well
coming from a game developer background myself, I have understanding that there only so much you can do , and in my oppinon PC2 wasn't in development all that long , for having much bigger changes/improvements

PC3 is where it all can really come togehter , nicely polished, unless they decide to add boats and planes - taking away focus from what they already have

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.2%