Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

I agree in sprit in terms of being absolute equals, but kinda disagree with this statement. They have good cards now absolutely worth getting,
They are worth getting but if your just out to get the best card, or need it for work then AMD isn't really an option. Nvidia has all the industry standards, that's why I think for AMD to seriously challenge Nvidia they need to not just match what Nvidia is doing, they need to better it, and be cheaper, otherwise everyone will just go with what they know works.

People are already spending a lot of money on PC systems, justifying the cost of an Nvidia card isn't that hard when it comes with peace of mind.

It's frustrating but I don't think it's a conspiracy. 3090 and 6900xt are the cards miners don't really find profitable seeing as you can (or could) get two 3080s for one 3090, majority of people aren't going to or be able to afford them either, so more likely you can find one as an end consumer that's all it means.
I dont think for a second they are making more of these flagship cards over the 3080 and 6800xts thats just not how silicone binning works. We just are not seeing the cards everyone wants as miners are getting them before the consumer market, as well as prioritising oem builders over the diy market.

I feel this situation isn't going to change until etherieum price drops back down that's the elephant in the room. Coupled with the fact China isn't shipping anything much at the moment either.

Also everyone is on holiday in China right now for their New year celebrations, so nothing is being made in February anyway. Stockdrops Discord has been dead for a couple of weeks now.
I fully agree... it is not a conspiracy.
My point was that the companies involved...(both AMD and Nvidia) are somewhat at fault where the gaming side is concerned.
While I do accept them selling product wherever they can make a sale, they should know that a proper allocation should be a consideration.
Selling GPUs in bulk to mining companies when they know it has a direct effect on shortages to loyal customers, is bad.
These companies can clearly see the impact to folk who have supported them before mining was even established.
It is the ultimate middle finger.

I fully agree... it is not a conspiracy.
My point was that the companies involved...(both AMD and Nvidia) are somewhat at fault where the gaming side is concerned.
While I do accept them selling product wherever they can make a sale, they should know that a proper allocation should be a consideration.
Selling GPUs in bulk to mining companies when they know it has a direct effect on shortages to loyal customers, is bad.
These companies can clearly see the impact to folk who have supported them before mining was even established.
It is the ultimate middle finger.
See Linus' video. it is all about the dollars.

See Linus' video. it is all about the dollars.

Yeah was a good video. I'm sure both AMD and Nvidia just see this situation as a quick win and assuime it will crash.

If they get their way all it will mean is normal consumers will not be able to mine to pay off their card and mining companies will just flash the cards to work 100% anyway.

Guess all we can hope for is a cryptocurrency crash again. But what if it doesn't crash this time, or crash to the point where miners need to sell their cards? what is going to happen then?! Is PC gaming just going to die?

Or will this only ever get fixed if the whole thing gets regulated. I'm not sure how crypto currency is sustainable, given the amount of power required to keep it going. Maybe it'll need to get regulated on a CO2 emissions basis. IDK.

Or will this only ever get fixed if the whole thing gets regulated. I'm not sure how crypto currency is sustainable, given the amount of power required to keep it going. Maybe it'll need to get regulated on a CO2 emissions basis. IDK.
100% agree.
Read somewhere that the power use of miners are like that of a small country like Denmark.
Just utterly stupid.

100% agree.
Read somewhere that the power use of miners are like that of a small country like Denmark.
Just utterly stupid.
There are some pretty wild numbers being reported. This is an interesting read if you are really interested. https://coinshares.com/insights/beware-of-lazy-research-bitcoin-mining-update

I am a miner, a very small one, but I use my solar system to power most of my mining.

I really hope it doesnt crash, but I can understand why people hate it. Much the same way I hate to see photos or film of Vegas.

There are some pretty wild numbers being reported. This is an interesting read if you are really interested. https://coinshares.com/insights/beware-of-lazy-research-bitcoin-mining-update

I am a miner, a very small one, but I use my solar system to power most of my mining.

I really hope it doesnt crash, but I can understand why people hate it. Much the same way I hate to see photos or film of Vegas.

That rapport doesn't reference a sing fact just opinions and made up points.
You are entitled to be a miner and do not have to be apologetic about it.
I just wish it to burn and crash.
And I am not in the market for a new GPU.

...that is a highly biased article you linked there. And the point stands that a currency that converts literal electric energy into money is a bad idea especially in our current times. Those renewables could power hospitals instead you know, to give it a dramatic vibe ;)

Guess all we can hope for is a cryptocurrency crash again. But what if it doesn't crash this time, or crash to the point where miners need to sell their cards? what is going to happen then?! Is PC gaming just going to die?
Crashes won't help these days I'm afraid, they just create more opportunities for traders. Plenty of people got rich off the last crash. It just highlights the stock exchanges are overrun by gamblers and people that would burn their own country down to make a profit.

I'd hope that this is a case of the emperors new clothes and people will come to their senses at some point. I already didn't like how normal money works but this stuff is just mickey mouse money as far as I'm concerned, it's completely imaginary and just highlights to me how daft our imaginary systems have gotten.

Crashes won't help these days I'm afraid, they just create more opportunities for traders. Plenty of people got rich off the last crash. It just highlights the stock exchanges are overrun by gamblers and people that would burn their own country down to make a profit.

I'd hope that this is a case of the emperors new clothes and people will come to their senses at some point. I already didn't like how normal money works but this stuff is just mickey mouse money as far as I'm concerned, it's completely imaginary and just highlights to me how daft our imaginary systems have gotten.

Cryptocurrencies make me think of the parallel of how modern banking creates money out of thin air when issuing new loans and mortgages.

...that is a highly biased article you linked there. And the point stands that a currency that converts literal electric energy into money is a bad idea especially in our current times. Those renewables could power hospitals instead you know, to give it a dramatic vibe ;)

I little like the claims that come out every year that crypto uses X country worth of power.

I am not saying it is a good thing either. Just that there a bit more to it.

A lot of coins are moving away from POW (proof of work) which will cut it back.

I suppose it all comes back to what people want. I think Christmas lights are a stupid waste of energy. Slot machines. Fox news. The list goes on. :D

There is that crash you guys were talking about. :)

Back to sim racing, the card performs really well in AMS2 and even ACC is no longer a slide show at night time.

Not exactly a crash, just some selling off I think.

Be good to know what kinda frames you get in ACC? You said you upgraded from a 2080ti right? So interested that you noticed a big improvement. There isn't a great amount of information on how these AMD cards go in sims. Dan suzuki did one with the 6800xt but didn't include ultrawides plus I think there was one vr one which showed it being slightly slower than a 3080.

Not exactly a crash, just some selling off I think.

Be good to know what kinda frames you get in ACC? You said you upgraded from a 2080ti right? So interested that you noticed a big improvement. There isn't a great amount of information on how these AMD cards go in sims. Dan suzuki did one with the 6800xt but didn't include ultrawides plus I think there was one vr one which showed it being slightly slower than a 3080.
Some would argue, but enough on funny money.

I dont know exactly the frame rates I just know it feels a lot smoother to me. It could be just confirmation bias for spending a bunch of my BTC on a GPU. ;)

If I was that way inclined I would have grabbed some numbers from the 2080Ti and then compared, but time is short these days.

lets just put it down to anecdotal evidence that the 6900XT seems faster and smoother for me than the 2080Ti was.

One place I do have numbers, Generation Zero. Old GPU I would get 50-60FPS. new GPU 80-90FPS.

To be honest, I haven't even really tried to shop for a new card beyond a few normal mouse clicks. I can't be bothered.
My take: If I can't launch a browser...go to Amazon or NewEgg and buy the darn thing, what the heck is the point.
Sure!...like many I was initially considering an RTX3080 when the MSRP versus specs. were announced.
At that time I figured AMD was so close to an announcement of their own, that I'd wait to compare.
Their cost versus features were more in-line with what I wanted for simracing and so that went right to the top of the list...specifically the 6800XT.
I'd occasionally look at AMD.com for a reference model, if an AD popped up in my email from AMD.
It always led to an 'Out of stock' dead end, so after a few I stopped looking.
If it ever appears for sale...great, otherwise I could care less.
Which ever becomes readily available first, I'll get but I'm not jumping through hoop to do so.
I inherited a GTX770-4GB AMP card as a back-up which had some cheap sleeve-type, failed fans.
I spent $19 for two really nice dual ball-bearing, wide-chord fans.
They cool like the 'dickens' and that seems to do everything I need in simracing for now.

Getting angry at crypto because you want to buy video cards. Complaining about the power it uses when you drive gas powered cars is really ironic.
If you're not using an electric car, or riding a bike to work, you have no footing to stand on complaining about crypto mining using more power than a small country.

Anyway, this isn't a political thread so let's keep the personal opinions that aren't backed by facts out of discussion yes? I get it, everyone hates mining because they wanna buy video cards. How about dialing down your frustration about first world problems? Not being able to get a GPU is not even in the realm of being a "serious issue". But everyone here should oppose "mining only" GPU's.

Nvidia is only doing that because when crypto crashed in 2018, no one bought 2080's or 2070's because 1080's and 1080 Ti's were so cheap and plentiful that Turing was a bad deal. So Nvidia wants to release "mining only" GPU's since they'll be useless in the used market.

Also keep in mind, crypto prices rise when centralized money is manipulated. You know who cannot manipulate the price of crypto? Wall Street traders and politicians. That's why the price sky rocketed in the last year. Once the economy stabilizes, people will be back to trusting bonds and traditional American dollars, and crypto will correct itself. But it's not ever going away, and you shouldn't want it to.

Shame how this thread has become super negative. I mean noone here gives two hoots about crypto they just want a GPU to race fake cars and have fun.
Ranting is fun too. :p It's like a national pass time in most places.

I just see Crypto currency as an example of why humanity is doomed, dedicating so much effort into imaginary stuff while the world burns around us. Trade is a behavioural thing for humans and all this financial stuff is just scratching an behavioural itch for people while achieving next to nothing in the real world.

Shame how this thread has become super negative. I mean noone here gives two hoots about crypto they just want a GPU to race fake cars and have fun.

Simracing is escapism from reality after all and a decent gpu is part of that. Some high and mighty "pipe down" rant falls on deaf ears tbh.
O actually give a lot of hoots about crypto. :)

But I get your point.

I was looking at the availability of the RX 6950XT cards and thinking of upgrading from my RTX 2080TI but finding it hard to get a proper comparison of the two to see if it is worth the money. I have a MSI X570 GAMING PLUS mainboard and a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU to go with it which is supposed to leverage even more performance IINM. I have a HP G1 headset that I want to run with it and AMS2. Any comments, suggestions, advice welcome.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 139 66.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 91 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 96 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 38 18.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 58 27.9%
Back