News Assetto Corsa | Latest News

kunos
Is the number of 5 licensed Ferraris still up-to-date? Im asking because I find it odd that you picked the GTE instead of the GT3 (to compete with the existing gt3's). I guess if it's still only going to be 5 Ferraris for 1.0 then there wont be a 458 gt3 (only as later DLC?), because I think having 3 458 out of 5 Ferraris would be kind of a waste...

The Modding aspect of it could be a downplayed feature in the end.
Plans for DLC will conflict with modder's efforts at some point.

I'm not saying that AC will not be moddable,I really do not think they will take such feature away.

Games like shift2 are moddable right now,and they never intended to be.
Ferrari model looks good. but again mindless teasing...

977775_649941428365512_546834521_o.jpg

966381_649949941697994_1174075282_o.jpg

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

I´m absolutely stunned. I don´t even know how to react seeing this...
I might not play another game ever again.

GTEs drive in the WEC/ALMS, whereas GT3 drive in the Blancpain Endurance Series (just examples, there a a lot more series).
I would say, that the main difference between the two is the aero. GTEs are much wider and have more downforce, what should make them faster in corners especially.
On the other hand, BMW used alot of their z4 GT3 parts like engine, suspension and brakes on the GTE version of the car, and then went on improving said parts.
So in general, I think you can say that the GTEs make use of better materials/technologies, whereas the aim of the GT3s is to provide a raceready package (prices for GT3s start around 300k). This is why there are so many amateur Teams in GT3, while most competitive GTE Teams are Factory-related.
That being said, some Series (eg. VLN that run the N24h) allow for GT2 cars to be balanced to GT3 spec, for example via intake air restrictors (as seen on the BMW M3 VLN version)
Reading the May edition of Racecar Engineering it seems that the GTE cars have less downforce then the GT3 versions. And less horsepower.

An estimated 30% reduction in downforce compared to the GT3 machine.

uT579xF.jpg

f0T5uPu.jpg

Reading the May edition of Racecar Engineering it seems that the GTE cars have less downforce then the GT3 versions. And less horsepower.

An estimated 30% reduction in downforce compared to the GT3 machine.

wow, just realized what BS was talking :redface:
very good read tho, thank you for correcting me.

one would imagine that the factory gte cars that race at lemans would actually be faster then the gt3 privateers...but given the technologic developement on gt3's in the last couple of years...

gte cars always looked so much faster and more settled to me...

My apperication for the GTE class just took an hard hit :D

Another quote that explains the issue further:
It's a mess. As things are, we have two GT categories that are equally as quick but go about it in two completely different ways. In GTE, supposedly the pinnacle of GT racing, making a car quicker involves developing the minutiae within a defined set of regulations (ignoring waivers for the moment). If you want to go faster in GT3 you stick a bigger wing on the boot or widen the car by a foot. As a result, it is much cheaper because there isn't much as development time/money needed to improve the car. For example, the two 911s. The R (GT3-spec) costs 304,500 euro plus VAT, whereas the RSR (GTE) costs 498,000 euro plus VAT. Source: Porsche Motorsport website.

Back to Topic now, i could talk hours about this kind of stuff...

For a comparison of GT3 and GTE, look at GT Open. In the dry the GTE cars are faster. In the wet, GT3shave the edge due to ABS and more flexible TC, like at Paul Ricard. In reality they could quite easily be equalised

one would imagine that the factory gte cars that race at lemans would actually be faster then the gt3 privateers...but given the technologic developement on gt3's in the last couple of years...

The final speed of both specs are ultimately determined by the regulations, more specifically the Balance of Performance. Remember, many of the cars in both classes make less HP than their street counterparts (the GTE Corvette and GT3 12C for instance).

GT3s are, more or less, anything goes. Build whatever you want, it just has to look like a GT car. Basically, the theory is that they'll balance everyone with restrictor plates and tire compound, so to build a crazy car is pointless since you'll just be made the same speed as everyone else. They also tend to be required to run higher ride heights, so splitters and diffusers are less effective for the same size.

GT2s are more restricted in what you can build in the first place, with rules on dimensions, engine, aero, etc. They're still balanced, but the balancing tends to be more fine tuning, and they allow for about 0.5% of benefit to the best cars before restricting them towards the less developed cars. And on that note, GTE cars do get upgraded throughout the season, while GT3s are locked into the spec they start the year with unless allowed an upgrade (usually for safety reasons).

It's really tough to determine which spec is 'better' in a heads-up competition. Stuff like the Z4 is probably faster in GT3 trim, if you allowed it to run to GTE ride height and engine restriction. GT3 is allowed ABS, GTE is not. GTE is designed (in theory) for pro teams going to Le Mans and are allowed a lot more in the setups and technology (they'll often tune the TC algorithms for each track individually) for each team to try and get whatever benefit they can, while GT3 is designed around amateurs who want a stable car operating on an even playing field.

For reference, though, having less downforce and power doesn't mean GTE cars are slower. At Spa the GTEs are about 4s faster per lap in qualifying, while at Silverstone they're about dead even. Stuff like having works teams, open gear ratios, better tires, and more can make a big difference depending on track.

I love the monitor (with the rear view camera) in the Ferrari, aswell as the rest of the car... :D

I gotta admit I am not really worried about all the stuff with the different classes, I am sure (if it isn't included by Kunos) someone will come up with a "mod" or something to allow matching of the different gt cars... There never will be a real match for gt cars when they are not from the exact same season anyway even with BoP it is still kinda unfair, just look at P4/5 at the Nürburgring... They would have had a chance to battle at the front if they hadn't had that huge air restrictor...

First, kudos to you for being one of the few people to admit error quickly and move on!! A nice example for all of us.

As far as the article goes, it appears that the difference is mostly in the rules rather than any fundamental engineering. Of course, engineering changes are required to meet the rules but what I am saying is the core of the vehicle is fairly similar. And the rules change too frequently... particularly if you are comparing the series, so what you were thinking of 2-3 years ago is no longer the case today. We don't know what year model AC will bring us so perhaps the GTE and GT3 will be closer than than you think?

edit: just read the post above referencing Spa and Silverstone lap-times and it sounds like actual performance could very well be close in game and still be thought of as realistic

The nice part is that with the modding aspect we can now put virtual air restrictors on the GTE cars for the more open layouts.
Shouldn´t take long to figure out how to equalize the cars for the league.

Going to be one sweet league this.. i don´t even know what to drive for the first season :)
As a BMW fan it´s Z4 but that Ferrari looks so tasty....

Edit: side by side shot of the GTE and GT3.

e6BHHTs.jpg

The nice part is that with the modding aspect we can now put virtual air restrictors on the GTE cars for the more open layouts.
Shouldn´t take long to figure out how to equalize the cars for the league.

Going to be one sweet league this.. i don´t even know what to drive for the first season :)
As a BMW fan it´s Z4 but that Ferrari looks so tasty....

Edit: side by side shot of the GTE and GT3.

e6BHHTs.jpg

Don't forget the M3 GT2 as well!

As all of you guys have probably understand, the GTE, GT3 performance is complex and confusing. The -30% ero for the Z4 is a peculiar report to say the least, as it is true that GTE cars normaly have a bit more downforce than the GT3 ones... but... in the last years the GT3 cars have become faster and faster.

Some interesting information. GT3 cars must have production series pickup points on the suspension and scheme, with only slight modifications. They have less restrictions on the engine, ABS and TC is permitted and usually they weight a bit less. So they are less refined but faster on a straight line and, usually, easier to drive.

The GTE cars have much more advanced suspensions, a bit more downforce, although that depends also on the BoP that regulates the height of wings etc. They have much more restricted engines (in the case of the 458 is almost ridiculous as you need to gear change at around 6500-7000rpm while the car could do over 9000) and weight a bit more and they don't have ABS or TC (although on some series TC is permitted)

Another big difference is tyres. GT3 tyres are "standard". GTE tyres are more evolved, change through the season and can be track specific.

As a result, the GTE cars are faster in turns, the GT3 cars are faster in straights. The difference is not that big, with the GTE being a bit tricker to drive and setup and usually 1sec or less faster than the GT3's

I think they can do great fun races together.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 60 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%