Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
OverTake
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

After months of waiting the moment has finally arrived. Assetto Corsa is released by Kunos Simulazioni on Steam Early Access.

Players can buy the game saving 22% of the retail price, getting the access to the beta version, including its updates, and they will receive the final version of the game, when it will be released, without any additional charge.

Assetto Corsa is already in advanced state of completion. Meanwhile some features and structures are under progress and testing, the...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

My very first impressions are so-so, maybe because with so much hype I was expecting something better.
Not saying it's bad,I like it, and I know that this is very early access and that it'll getting better and better but overall, at the moment it's just ok.
The thing that I really hate is the penalty given when going off track.It really break the momentum and lose any concentration. I hope in future updates at least we'll have an option to disable it.
Edit: From A/C forum: Go to Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg and open the race.ini with notepad and change the "ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT" from 2 to -1

Last edited:
A lot of us hanging on to the old GTX 260. ;) I use FXAA: 2 (first AA samples setting off) and it's barely ok. This is only a DirectX 10.0 card, but the minimum requirement is 10.1. I will need an upgrade by the time AC 1.0 is released.

It's impressive - it's really impressive. I really love it. I did few laps in Z4, then Exige Scura, then M3 E30, then 458... The difference between those cars is so real, it just stuns me.
Even on my old DFP it's sensational.

And the thing which impress me most is... Traction Control in 458.
CTRL+T guys (in PRO mode of course). Really check it guys. in TC1 option (I guess it is manettino's max left option) you have to really want to kill yourself to get the car do something stupid. With TC OFF it's a beast that wants to eat one of your legs (probably one on brake pedal). With TC4 (I guess that's CBT or CT off) it gives you a lot of freedom but in a moment you can overdone it, it saves your ass from being crashed alongside with this beautiful 458 body.

from someone who has been patient with rfactor 2 for so long, from someone who has listened to a lot of people say how crappy it is and how assetto corsa will answer all problems , from someone who has seen rfactor 2 improve MASSIVELY to already a really fanstastic level, may I ask someone who likes rfactor 2 for an honest review of the assetto corsa beta? my first thoughts are that many people like it but perhaps built it up too much. i am a little surprised that after being over a year overdue...a beta is released with only 5 tracks. to make myself clear, i am not starting an rfactor 2 vs AC war - i will very shortly give in and buy this for its nice lazer scanned tracks, because its a new sim with different cars and usually, a bit of difference is nice. I'm just curious though...is it as good as you thought it would be? is it easy to setup with few glitches? do you think this game will dominate racedepartments racing club events when it is fully released or have too many people overhyped it?

Thanks in advance for any honest, respectful opinions.

Just some comments I have after playing AC for a while.

AA needs to be fixed ASAP. I was hoping the release version would have better AA but it doesn't. No matter what AA I use there is no setting that completely gets rid of the jaggies. Also I am running on a 30 Inch screen at a res of 2560 x 1600 but it doesn't feel like that resolution in game. Everything looks blury, even with all AA off, and motion blur off. There is also some jerky world movements when watching from replay cameras.

Also we need better replay cameras, more track specific camera setups at certain turns like rfactor has, where you can switch between multiple cams at certain areas. Often in AC the camera is either too low or too zoomed in to see what your car is doing. Anyways I was hoping the release would be more polished than this, but I am still enjoying it. At least the cars feel pretty good to drive, which is the most important part. :)

Done a few laps in the Ferrari at Silverstone and the GT2 BMW at Imola. Thoughts:

UI: WOW -- it's awesome, if not a little "sticky". Beautifully designed and sophisticated.
GFX: Very good and run great on my rig. A little bit of odd blurriness looking in replay mode but very clear, very functional.
Physics: Very good, the Ferrari gives you that real impression of the real thing ... perhaps could feel a bit "meetier"? GT2 is good too and nice TO BE ABLE TO RECOVER A SPIN FAIRLY EASILY (other simS take note, hehe)
FFB: Great, once you crank it up to 150%
Sound: A bit muffled if I am honest, needs to be louder, clearer and more "bass-y"

Now, is AC way better than pCARS and rF2? I would say not at the moment. Generally feels perhaps a little more like the real thing than pCARS in some aspects (FFB), but less so in others (sound, environment). FFB very good and it is just nice to not spin out. In all honesty, we're getting to the stage where there is not an awful lot in it in terms of differences between different sims. rF2 probably the best still in FFB.

I hope other sims learn from AC's best bits, and AC learns from the best bits of other sims. The great thing is another super title has joined the list of other products to push forward the genre we all love.

from someone who has been patient with rfactor 2 for so long, from someone who has listened to a lot of people say how crappy it is and how assetto corsa will answer all problems , from someone who has seen rfactor 2 improve MASSIVELY to already a really fanstastic level, may I ask someone who likes rfactor 2 for an honest review of the assetto corsa beta? my first thoughts are that many people like it but perhaps built it up too much. i am a little surprised that after being over a year overdue...a beta is released with only 5 tracks. to make myself clear, i am not starting an rfactor 2 vs AC war - i will very shortly give in and buy this for its nice lazer scanned tracks, because its a new sim with different cars and usually, a bit of difference is nice. I'm just curious though...is it as good as you thought it would be? is it easy to setup with few glitches? do you think this game will dominate racedepartments racing club events when it is fully released or have too many people overhyped it?

Thanks in advance for any honest, respectful opinions.

I'm that guy!!

I enjoy rF2 alot despite it's problems with grip at the edge (as alla other sims) and
I must confess I was a little dissapointed this evening when I ran AC the first time. It was NOT instant gratification. However...
After tweaking and swearing for an hour or two it felt a bit better, especially the 49 and xbow. So I did a lot of laps with the 49 at monza and though: rF2 feels better that this.

Fired up rF2, same car(roughly) and same track. And it feels very, VERY wrong.
Back to AC, very natural feel in comparison, admittedly lacking some FFB on curbs as mentioned before. But very, very natural.
Back to rF2, witch is now just ugly and weird and undriveable. NOT because AC is too easy, but because it doesn't suprise you with odd behaviour.

This is my highly subjective opinion off course but I really did question AC at first, but now I'm drifting the xbow with a stupid grin on my face and it feels... Natural.

First impressions - not sure if it was worth the wait. It is a nice, I'd say "appropriate" driving sim (too early to call it a racing sim, since there is no one to race against), but nothing to write home about. Perhaps it is due to the hype - I have been waiting for it like it was a Holy Grail, which obviously was a mistake. Driving is correct, but so is in rF2/GSC, but here lacks the emotions (perhaps it;s due to the lack of any opponents), the feeling of immersion is worryingly low. The cars sound kind of bland, performance-wise it hasn't changed a bit since the TD, but I get microstuttering, something I did not have in the TD.

The same old story. Stupid old me, always jumping to conclusions too quickly, too soon.
After a few hours with AC I can now say it is a VERY GOOD sim. Perhaps not fantastic, too many feattures are currently missing, but a truly very good one. So good I cannot wait to get the AI/Multiplayer functionality to race against someone! :)

BTW: I don;t know if it;s already been posted, but if you go to the Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg folder and open the assetto_corsa.ini file, you'll find the ENABLE_DEV_APPS= entry. Add =1, save the file, then youl'll be able to pick up an icon called Onboard Settings from the side panel while driving. With it you can set the driver's seat position both vertically and horizonatally.
A truly useful feature, don't know why it wasn't enabled in the first place.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 364 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 226 43.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 242 46.6%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 107 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 139 26.8%
Back