Best Wind sim available? (DIY or to buy)

I want a good and strong wind sim for use in open wheelers.

What is the best strong wind sim in the market today?
Any good wind sim to buy?

Or better DIY with some PC fans etc...?

EDIT/ UPDATE:
I made windsim myself.
4 Noctua iPPC 3000 140mm, Arduino Leornardo and Simhub Arduino sketcch builder. VERY EASY project and good wind.
More wind is possible with Arduino shield aand more powerful air fans but you need headphones.
Post #38: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/best-wind-sim-available-diy-or-to-buy.248660/post-3611626

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback.

Some people in other forums recommended this product because it is very strong:

But after some good advices from other people, I decide to build my own wind sim with some strong (but more quiet) fans (Noctua AF-14 iPPC 3000) and Arduino Uno.

Arduino sketch and plug-in is available in Simhub.

Will post when finished.

I found it too noisy when running hard.

The effect is amazing though.

Finally I have an eye condition which doc said I shouldn’t blow air at my eyes.

Shame !

Last edited:
I found it too noisy when running hard.

The effect is amazing though.

Finally I have an eye condition which doc said I shouldn’t blow air at my eyes.

Shame !
Yes too loud is not good i think also. The reason why I will use the Noctua.

Better to follow advise from Doc for sure!
Otherwise if you drive F1 current or historic you can use real helmet with visor or racing googles. Then it is more simulation ....:D

Lol

Oddly I drive in VR so the windsim is even better for the sensation of wind. It still managed to flow up into the face plate.
Yes I always hear that using VR can be very hot depending on where you live.
I don't use VR myself. Maybe in the future.

I ordered this system last night off of Etsy. Seemed like a really good deal and loved the Red outlet to match my rig. Looking forward to setting it up!

482B58AE-A725-4798-898E-FC9B038B944F.jpeg
4042B5FB-409B-48BE-AB0F-30C10836151E.jpeg

788D8D97-D547-4EAD-A616-B8C40722459B.jpeg
8B5CBF8B-EA77-464F-A6B0-08A6BC10998B.jpeg
FF6F30DA-8672-4F78-8D54-C8EB61573E38.jpeg

I own both the SRS Hurricane and the Motionhouse and one systems. The Motionhouse system is on my rig and SRS is in a box in the garage.

My general assessment is that motionhouse feels like “wind”, and the computer-fan based systems feel like small fans. For me, there’s no comparison in that respect.

I confirmed this again recently when I thought I had a Motionhouse HW problem (turns out the Acronis backup SW I installed was wreaking havoc on my entire system). During that problem time I used SRS as my backup wind system (I can’t live without wind anymore ). It was a real let down even at full power. Now that I uninstalled the backup SW, the Motionhouse system is backup and running.

Candidly, running Motionhouse at full speed is loud.

I own both the SRS Hurricane and the Motionhouse and one systems. The Motionhouse system is on my rig and SRS is in a box in the garage.

My general assessment is that motionhouse feels like “wind”, and the computer-fan based systems feel like small fans. For me, there’s no comparison in that respect.

I confirmed this again recently when I thought I had a Motionhouse HW problem (turns out the Acronis backup SW I installed was wreaking havoc on my entire system). During that problem time I used SRS as my backup wind system (I can’t live without wind anymore ). It was a real let down even at full power. Now that I uninstalled the backup SW, the Motionhouse system is backup and running.

Thank you for feedback on both systems!

If my DIY with 4 Noctua AF-14 iPPC 3000 is not strong enough, I will go for Motionhouse for sure! Good to know.

Thank you for feedback on both systems!

If my DIY with 4 Noctua AF-14 iPPC 3000 is not strong enough, I will go for Motionhouse for sure! Good to know.
Are you sure those fans are able to stop? The specs says their minimum rpm is 800, but who knows. I am using 4 Delta TFC1212DE, 12 cm, 5500 rpm max and 252 cfm. They are quite noisy but the airflow provided is amazing. However, when wearing VR headset and headphones, 50% of the perceived airflow is lost, so it's good to have as much as possible.

Last edited:
I ordered this system last night off of Etsy. Seemed like a really good deal and loved the Red outlet to match my rig. Looking forward to setting it up!

View attachment 600068View attachment 600069
View attachment 600070View attachment 600071View attachment 600072
Im also looking at this! I like that he offers power outlets for different countries, as i'm in New Zealand this is a must for me

Last edited:

Do you know the model of fan / blower than Motion House uses? I emailed them and hopefully can get some info.

The SRS Hurricane uses 140mm x 38mm BGear industrial fans which have a rated airflow of 308 CFM and pressure of 31.08 mmH2O at 70 dbA.

Although you can't really compare decibel levels between different companies' fans because they all measure their fan noise levels in different ways, different distances, etc., the airflow and pressure #s are usually able to be compared (as long as the company isn't lying).

That's where my question lies. I saw a video (Sim Racing Garage) that said the Motion House blowers are 4". I looked up 4" blower fans and they all seem to have an airflow rating of around 200 CFM. That's quite a bit less than the BGears' 300-ish CFM.

Also, because the fan in a 4" blower is going to be smaller than the BGears fans (4" blower: 90-100 mm VS BGears 140 mm), the smaller fans will have to spin at a higher speed to get the same airflow...higher speed for the same airflow = higher noise levels for the same airflow. Which means the 4" blowers will most likely be much louder than the BGears fans in order to move the same amount of air...and the BGears fans are already insanely loud (I've heard very similar fans before) to the point you can hear them from outside the house and it literally sounds dangerous. I'm wondering how these small 90 - 100 mm fans are providing higher airflow than those monster 140 mm fans...

I read from someone that Motion House blower fans have much less "lag" than the "normal" types of fans when they spin up according to the car's speed. If I remember correctly, the comment stated both don't really have lag when they spin down (under braking) but the "normal" fans have lag when spinning up for the car's acceleration while the MH blower fans don't have this issue. Is this true or are they both about the same?

Additional thoughts:
- It would awesome if MH used 6" blower fans. That's more like a 140 mm fan. They're usually rated at 400 CFM but, because they're bigger, they can run at the same airflow levels of the 4" version but at lower RPMs which means lower noise levels.

- I haven't taken pressure into consideration, and maybe that's why MH chose 4" instead of 6" models. All things being equal, smaller fans - although louder for the same airflow VS larger fans (since they have to spin faster) - have higher pressure than larger fans.

Last edited:
Hi.

Motionhouse does not use computer-style fans. They use bilge fans typically used in exhaust applications for boats. I recently asked a vendor who sells a computer fan system if it was possible to pair their controller with bilge fans and they said no due to them being too powerful for Arduino-type electronics.

Subjectively, MH feels much much more powerful than my Hurricane system (maybe 4 to 1?). To your point, I don’t feel any lag.

At this point I should probably sell the SRS Hurricane setup since I don’t use it.

Hi.

Motionhouse does not use computer-style fans. They use bilge fans typically used in exhaust applications for boats. I recently asked a vendor who sells a computer fan system if it was possible to pair their controller with bilge fans and they said no due to them being too powerful for Arduino-type electronics.

Subjectively, MH feels much much more powerful than my Hurricane system (maybe 4 to 1?). To your point, I don’t feel any lag.

At this point I should probably sell the SRS Hurricane setup since I don’t use it.
Thanks for the quick response. Do you remember if you felt any lag with the SRS Hurricane system?

Do you remember, subjectively, how loud the MH is compared to the SRS Hur at the same feeling of air? Lets say, the SRS Hur at 100% fan speed and the MH at what feels like the same amount of air...

Hi. MH is louder. There is some lag with SRS. SRS feels like a breeze from a fan. MH feels like wind.

One thing to consider is that in addition to sheer power, the diameter of the MH fans are bigger, and that gives an advantage.

Also MH build quality is robust, and really top notch.

There is always a danger when blowing fans into your face regardless of brands (debris, broken pieces). I have never had a problem, but to mitigate risk, I use these on the front and these on the back. . Even so, the MH is much more powerful.

*Note they seem to be gone from Amazon but I think the company sells direct and there are alternatives.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 5 21.7%