Best Wind sim available? (DIY or to buy)

I'm using 2 large blowers ( I don't care for the small weak computer fans!) Mine was a dIY project started by the SFX100 builders. This only works with the Simfeedback / SFX100 software, but I'd try something similar to this with simhub perhaps? Cost was about $200

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
I used to make wind simulators like this - there is nothing better than deck flow fans - it's really a wind that can blow you away) - computer fans are a toy - compared to these ... I made 2 versions with a small and a large one - large was a power of 10 amperes - and the ability to give out 6500 liters of air per minute !!! small 3500 - but there were nuances with a large one - since a very powerful power supply was really needed and, most importantly, protection for arduino - a monster shield for which it was necessary to create a cooling system - but that was not all - a coil was needed that removed the squeak when used at low speeds - this thing could run for hours - and put out real cold air - I'm not sure if these 140mm fans can do that! - as for the noise - you can't hear anything in the headphones))) but your emotions were at their best! - however, I also don’t understand why everyone doesn’t use wind guides that clearly fit into a part of the pipe and solve issues related to blowing where they don’t need to)

The cost of such a product was at the level of 300-350 dollars and a lot of troubles) - few people are willing to pay $500 for a real product!
still selling these things ? I really want a system but i want it to be clean and great.
I mean with the money I spent on the simulator, 3d printed things... just don't cut it for me.

still selling these things ? I really want a system but i want it to be clean and great.
I mean with the money I spent on the simulator, 3d printed things... just don't cut it for me.
Check out motionhouse . I actually just upgraded to their v2 which includes a sway function. Fans, mounts, and control box are very high quality

Could I use 90watt car oil cooler fans. A 7 inch fan , they say, produces about 800cfm at 2600 rpm . Even seen one 6 inch that reputedly produces 1250cfm at 2800. Power consumption is about 6 amps a unit so arduino and monster seems possible. Need to adapt a housing.. Why has this not been considered , too good to be true?

Concerning the SRS fans, are they compatible with Simhub or am I tied into the SRS software to use it?
No they use SRS application and their own controller which has a software license embedded in it. It's pretty good but it did irk me that I couldn't use Simhub tbh, as it was just one more app in the system tray and background of the sim.

Just a quick update for anyone interested in motionhouse. I have been using motion house for about 1.5 years now. I remain happy with the product. I still prefer it over the SRS Hurricane, which I also have. Their game support (including timeliness for new game releases) remains good. There v2 product feels the same as V1 (other than the addition of sway effect).

Not a lot of people know this but Symprojects also sell a fan controller, it's a fun little easy project. This is mine that I built, I used high powered fans that are used for bit coin mining and built with bits and pieces I found on amazon.

It's invaluable for VR, keeps me cool and it really does add a sense of immersion when wind come from the same direction as the fan in the car.

rig.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the controllers by Symprojects are great. I have two of those, driving 4 fans, all working together with no problems. You can also use if as wind simulator or for fixed speed and also with normal or inverted PWM fans.

Last edited:
Not a lot of people know this but Symprojects also sell a fan controller, it's a fun little easy project. This is mine that I built, I used high powered fans that are used for bit coin mining and built with bits and pieces I found on amazon.

It's invaluable for VR, keeps me cool and it really does add a sense of immersion when wind come from the same direction as the fan in the car.

I like the idea of using bitcoin mining fans.

Just a quick update for anyone interested in motionhouse. I have been using motion house for about 1.5 years now. I remain happy with the product. I still prefer it over the SRS Hurricane, which I also have. Their game support (including timeliness for new game releases) remains good. There v2 product feels the same as V1 (other than the addition of sway effect).
I also thinking of srs hurricane or motionhouse. Motionhouse looks powerful.
But base on YouTube videos, motionhouse wind seems to get really really loud at high speed.

What's the noise level say if you tune down the motionhouse to match the power of hurricane? 70% motionhouse is it equivalent to 100% for SRS hurricane in power and noise?

If I get motionhouse, I may mount it at pedal area to reduce the noise. But honestly cant imagine how noisy it is yet.

I live in apartment with thin wall so I have to be noise aware. I using VR and also SRS for motion so thought that hurricane is more easily integrated without additional softwares.

There's also a sim3d which has cheaper product. But less powerful, and able to use SRS.

Both systems work reliably. You can set the max power and noise is a factor of power/speed. Because motionhouse fans push way more air. You can run motionhouse at a lower speed and it will be quieter while pushing the same or more air.

It still seems loud. I don't think able to use it.

Anyone has tried DIY wind controller to an actual fan?
It gets hot in VR, Im just thinking of adding a standing / desk fan in front. But how cool is it if someone create a controller that work with a real fan.

It still seems loud. I don't think able to use it.

Anyone has tried DIY wind controller to an actual fan?
It gets hot in VR, Im just thinking of adding a standing / desk fan in front. But how cool is it if someone create a controller that work with a real fan.
Large fans provide a lot of airflow and are quite silent. The problem (appart from finding one that is PWM compatible and thus can be controlled from the computer) is that they are not agile. That means that accelerating from 0 to many rpms and viceversa takes too long so they do not feel responsive but laggy for a wind simulator. It's a better idea to consider using closed headphones if noise is a problem for you with smaller fans.

Large fans provide a lot of airflow and are quite silent. The problem (appart from finding one that is PWM compatible and thus can be controlled from the computer) is that they are not agile. That means that accelerating from 0 to many rpms and viceversa takes too long so they do not feel responsive but laggy for a wind simulator. It's a better idea to consider using closed headphones if noise is a problem for you with smaller fans.
I can' t confirm and there are powerful PWM-fans available (213 CFM). You don't need this stepper shield (or whatever it's called) to run them with this tutorial. It's a bit more complicated with the wiring, but after the fans only get the power from the powersupply while the Arduino Uno is just responsible for the RPM, so can't get hot and runs with USB-power only. You just need the fans, Arduino Uno and power-supply to run this WindSim, so you can't go cheaper while the fans will provide the full speed-spectrum. Some if not most non-PWM blowers only start spinning if going over 30%.

I've designed and printed this mini-case for the Arduino to fix it to a profile and isn't perfect, but holds together with some tape to fix the cables. I didn't use this plate in the tutorial because I had no, but put the cables directly into the Uno (not ideal) and squeeze them into the AC-adapter that came with the power-supply. This way you also don't have to cut the cable of the power-supply. M6 for the Arduino and M8 for the fan-holders needed with the files attached. A relatively cheap ready-to-run solution with the same fans and probably principle is the Alpha Wind Simulator.
IMG_20230514_155404.jpg
IMG_20230514_155536.jpg

Attachments

• arduinocase_top.stl
    85.2 KB · Views: 41
  • arduinocase_bottom-mq.stl
    282.7 KB · Views: 34
  • AC-adapter.png
    AC-adapter.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 40
  • fan-holder-left.stl
    383 KB · Views: 42
  • fan-holder-right.stl
    385.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 3 1.4%