Brazilian GP Debrief: Rosberg Reigns Amidst Inter-Team Turmoil

and to that cutting edge technology we add more torque so the cars are tougher to handle on throttle, less rear wing, no clever exhaust blown diffuser of faux diffuser technologies. The result is a more challenging car to drive.
Mistakes get made, opportunities occur.

When I think back to the era around the year 2000 when a young teen Jensen Button arrived. The following car got within 75 metres and lost all grip so just sat there.
This era was where Murray Walkers ability to get excited about nothing happening really became a huge asset to F1 as outside of wet races iterally the only passing happened in the pits.

By contrast the advent of DRS/KERS means the faster car/driver combination can once they catch can actually get past the slower car. We see in one race more passing than happened in 10 races in 2000. We see on track battles for position rather than a procession.

So with respect to any one else that has also been watching F1 for 30 years the racing isn't broken. Its as good or better than its ever been.
The same car might keep winning but that could be said of the Senna / Prost years at McLaren. Was that boring?

In 1976 a Cosworth V8 cost £5000 and a rebuild cost £1000. A top driver cost £50,000 a season.

The thing that's broken down is the revenue/costs relationship.
The new engine technology costs a lot. Team budgets are too big. Its too costly and hard to enter and survive.
It needs to be fixed before we have a petrol powered World Championship Wrestling with a tiny number of heroes, few possible outcomes and a tightly scripted play environment.

Welcome your new KIA F1 team, providing the fuel efficient power plants for every other team in your desired F1 racing future at the cutting edge of technology... :rolleyes:

Welcome your new KIA F1 team, providing the fuel efficient power plants for every other team in your desired F1 racing future at the cutting edge of technology... :rolleyes:
Lol You realise you're arguing in favour of comparatively inefficienct technology, which is the antithesis of cutting edge technology.

Lol You realise you're arguing in favour of comparatively inefficienct technology, which is the antithesis of cutting edge technology.

I don't believe, from the point of view of RACING, that I am.

Racing should be the fastest engines in the fastest cars with the fastest drivers. Racing is about speed and handling, NOT fuel economy. I guess we'll have to differ there...

Racing should be the fastest engines in the fastest cars with the fastest drivers. Racing is about speed and handling, NOT fuel economy. I guess we'll have to differ there...
We'll just have to agree to disagree :)
But if I may just make one last point.

Formula 1 has ALWAYS been about fuel economy. Teams have been under-fueling their cars for some 40 years now. Always pushing to what is the extreme of least amount of fuel needed to get to the finish line the quickest.
Clever and extreme engineering: that's what F1 is all about, and has always been about. Don't get me wrong, I loved the old engines, the sounds they made were fantastic, especially the V10's. It was like a symphony. But these new engines also have their own appeal, not to mention loads of torque to boot !

Last edited:

Did you notice that the outright lap record was broken at Interlagos?
Are you really saying the cars are slow?

For at least 30 years measures have been in place to lower the speeds for sdafety reasons. As a small list from the top of my head:
1935 Weight limit introduced for safety. Auto Union have to brush the paint off their cars to make the limit and raced in silver ever since.
1966 Jack Brabham uses lower weight and fuel economy to beat Ferraris in races.
1982 The ground effect cars are banned following Alan Jones WDC
Circa 95 Traction control, active suspension.
Circa 97 V12 is banned -Fuel efficiency and speed
Circa 2000 The grooved tyres introduced to lower grip. Interestingly this was counter productive to the racing as aero grip dominated and is more subject to disruption in dirty air whereas mechanical grip is not. Finally now aero is reduced and tyre grip increased.
Circa 2002 move from 3.0 V10 to 2.4 l V8.

The regulators have for decades sought to lower speeds and the teams have used high tech to defeat the regs and F1 has gotten faster and faster and higher and higher tech.
The naysayers predicted GP2 would be faster in 2014. Is it?
No its not and with appr 40% less fuel they are going faster.

One other point is that F1 needs t be relevant to thgis time for big comapines to spend billions on the sport. Fuel is relevant to our society in a way it was't in 1966.

So in summary F1 regs are there to lower speeds, and fuel consumption and they have done forever. Teams use their engineering to beat the rules. That is F1.

You might have lost interest but what you complain of is not new.

As I said - we'll all just have to agree to disagree, but still you both felt you had to make yet another point, hmm? :roflmao:

Enjoy your regulated, economical F1, I'm looking for something else now.:coffee:

As I said - we'll all just have to agree to disagree, but still you both felt you had to make yet another point, hmm? :roflmao:

Enjoy your regulated, economical F1, I'm looking for something else now.:coffee:
yes Connor I wanted to make a point to explain why I disagree with you and back it up with facts.

I put an optimistic on your optimistic.:)
Seriously though talking about other interesting open wheeler racing Ive been watching as much FR 3.5 and the BRDC F4 racing as I can find.
Both are one-make of course but its a strength if you want to see talent shine through.
FR 3.5 is like GP2 but without Bernie and Flavios mark up.

Enjoy your racing whatever you watch!!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 45 8.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 12 2.4%