Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

The ProSimu videos I've seen are quite noisy which would be a major concern for me as I would only play after the kids are asleep.

Not that I have used one, but I am not sure how happy I would be with that ProSimu chassis overall. I think that is a mistake that is easy to make. Going for a cheaper full motion chassis as opposed to a D-Box type system ($$$$$$) or 'settling' for a highly recommended and widely used seat mover. The ProSimu is about half that of the cheapest D-Box from what I remember, but double that of the V3 platform, which has been refined over 3 iterations.

Upvote 0
Not that I have used one, but I am not sure how happy I would be with that ProSimu chassis overall. I think that is a mistake that is easy to make. Going for a cheaper full motion chassis as opposed to a D-Box type system ($$$$$$) or 'settling' for a highly recommended and widely used seat mover. The ProSimu is about half that of the cheapest D-Box from what I remember, but double that of the V3 platform, which has been refined over 3 iterations.

Exactly my thoughts. And if you want to step up to the higher end actuators on the ProSimu, the cost jumps up to match a used D-Box setup at which point, I'd think it's a no brainer. I'm hopeful to test a D-Box in the next couple of months so will report back and compare my notes that I took after trying the NLMV3.

Upvote 0
My rig is a Rseat RS1, so with a standard adapter the NLMv3 should fit perfectly.
I can also buy this motion sim from a local distributor. Definitely pro's!
Costs are € 3.100,- in comparison of the DOF Reality P3 € 2.300,-
(minus sell of Rs1 with all extra's (excluding seat), probably € 500,- ???)
What makes it € 1.300 cheaper! Definitely a Pro for the P3.

For hardware I own a Fanatec base 2.5, v3 pedals, F1-rim and Porsche-replica (handbrake and shifter on its way). I play with 3 UW benq monitors, so no VR.

I kinda ruled out the ProSimu 1000 with 3 actuators because of the noise.
Is this solved and therefore the better choice?
Later expand the motion to 5 actuators sounds good. :)
But then there's that choice in 3x Dyadic 040 100mm (€ 3000,-) or the way more expensive 2x Pro SimU 200 200mm and 1x Dyadic 040 100mm (€ 8.000), not really a choice because this is out of budget, but buying 3 lesser actuaters to replace later on doesn't sound nice too.
nb. with the ProSimu I can also sell my RS1 rig.

A D-Box m4a fits perfectly under the Rs1 but costs around € 16.000 and therefore out of the question...haha

Upvote 0
I play with 3 UW benq monitors, so no VR.

Would you be asking the DOF Reality to move those three monitors along with you, your seat, your wheel and all the other hardware? I'd personally be a little concerned about all that weight, and whether the screens would flap like albatross wings.

Edit: ah, maybe it's not a problem (go to 16 minutes):

Upvote 0
I have owned NL v2 & now v3 for over 2 years now and I still love the experience of it, perfect for vr but even on my 40inch flatscreen it is great. It is definitely a well built piece of machinery, bloody heavy and built like a small tank.

I did consider the Prosimu but it worked out costing more and I was never sold on moving the whole rig for sim racing. Motionsystems.eu are also very experienced and developed their own superb piece of software controlling the motion, which to this day is still being constantly updated. No regrets on my choice looking back.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Moving the whole rig (without monitors) really sounds great to me... hahaha people and their opinions.

The ProSimu T1000 3DOF costs the same as the NLR v3 (here in Holland... about € 3000)

Motionsystems.eu ...out of budget (for me)

Upvote 0
Motionsystems.eu IS the Next Level V3, they just re-brand it Next Level. Motionsystems develops the software for the V3, which is what blanes was referring to. They do, however, have other options that, as you say, are far more sophisticated and also expensive.

Upvote 0
Yeah for sure wijnants I imagine the prosimu 3dof is really great fun and totally agree. My feeling of moving too much is for another person exactly what they want to feel and so the choices being available is awesome. Also the cost difference between different countries is a huge factor as they seem to vary wildly in some cases due to shipping and local taxes.

Upvote 0
All about fooling the senses and giving the body plenty of sensory feedback to the cars handling, isnt it?

Have none of you 8020 boyos seen or considered implementing a d.i.y traction loss with the VR3?

I think it could be, as cool as one of these :)
(Apologies, just dreaming in the sweltering and exceedingly rare "Norn Iron" heat)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have none of you 8020 boyos seen or considered implementing a d.i.y traction loss with the VR3?
I seriously don't feel like it's necessary. Certainly not worth the hassle and expense. When the car is spinning or sliding in VR and the NLV3 is tilting me sideways I really do feel like I'm spinning or sliding. A traction loss mechanism might actually take away from that feeling if the limit of motion is hit before the spin/slide finishes and there's a weird jolt halfway through the spin/slide.

Upvote 0
This is an interesting one Mascot and you may be right. Anyway in vr I already have the sense that I am moving laterally when the car slides just from all the other cues in the wheel ffb, motion bumping about and every other heightened sensation you get in vr that cumulatively creates the illusion.

Anyway us older buggers don't often need much to fool us these days...
... well at least I don't ! :roflmao:

Upvote 0
I seriously don't feel like it's necessary. Certainly not worth the hassle and expense. When the car is spinning or sliding in VR and the NLV3 is tilting me sideways I really do feel like I'm spinning or sliding. A traction loss mechanism might actually take away from that feeling if the limit of motion is hit before the spin/slide finishes and there's a weird jolt halfway through the spin/slide.

So how does SimXperience pull it off with a seat mover based motion?
Ive yet to read any SimX motion users say their rig was worse by adding traction loss?

I struggle to see why its not possible or beneficial to presume such may work well with a V3

Upvote 0
So how does SimXperience pull it off with a seat mover based motion?
Ive yet to read any SimX motion users say their rig was worse by adding traction loss?

I struggle to see why its not possible or beneficial to presume such may work well with a V3
I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said I don't think it's necessary.

Upvote 0
I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said I don't think it's necessary.

Hold on, actually you made it quite clear you didn't think it was worth the hassle and expense. You stated it might even take away from the experience, hinting that possibly it might even hinder the immersion rather than extend it.

The idea was offered based on the fact that it appears lots of people incorporate RTL into sims even d.i.y. As for expense, how much would it take. would it be much more than some of you pay for fancy rims?

I do not see people sharing views that own RTL match what you are assuming in that it hinders the 2 dof motion? I am simply curious what the expense may be if attempting to add such to the VR3 or if anyone has considered such?

No big deal if you or some others don't think its necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked at adding RTL to it with the SimX DIY kit and people have done it but it’s far more complicated than just attaching the pieces. You need to lift the whole rig up to have the rear capable of swinging and then also account for the fact it increases the foot print significantly, in the case of the P1 probably twice as wide at the rear of not a bit more. You need a pivot on the front of the rig which you need to build something custom, you need heavy duty ball bearings on the rear which the frame slides against the SimX base. Then you have the additional layer of software you have to get running in unison not so hard with Sim Commander but truly custom ones are a lot more effort.

It’s a lot of DIY, custom parts and frankly if people wanted to to spend all that time doing it they wouldn’t be buying an all-in-one ready to go system.

The SimX seat mover is a little different though as it also operates on a pivot and then the pistons onto the upper back for movement so the seat is fixed to the pivot and then it moves around that.

Upvote 0
I think it would be fun to try the Traction Loss and cannot see any reason you could not adapt something to work with the NLM V3. You never know I guess if there is demand for such a thing the motionsystems guys may create an upgrade addon ? :O_o:

Upvote 0
I don't understand what others are saying about mounting the NLM. There are 6 holes on the legs' base. Just drill 6 holes into something like a plywood board or whatever floor you're using then bolt the NLM (with legs attached, obviously) to the 6 holes, plop a seat on and you're done. You need to find a seat that matches the NLM's seat bolt-holes,get adapters, or drill the NLM's seat-holes bigger or whatever but that's for the seat; the actual NLM unit itself simply bolts into 6 holes wherever you want and you're done.

I also don't understand what everyone's obsession with traction loss is. I'd rather have an up/down (heave?) system. Sure, it's nice and fun to feel your ass sliding but I think bumps are way more immersive and fun. You'll have a much more visceral and phsyical experience with bumps than oversteer.

P.S. For the price, the quietness, the almost non-existent form factor (can basically be mounted anywhere a chair can - the unit only adds to height, not width or length), and stealthy look (no actuators, pipes, cylinders or any hardware other than just a black "base" you sit on), this thing can't be beat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 174 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 114 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 121 46.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 45 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 71 27.3%
Back