Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

well no luck with Mathew, we went back and forth for a couple of weeks, but nothing at the end. ACC does not feel right with NLR v3 compared to rF2, it's night and day. Maybe I should move on and find another solution (dbox?!). Another thing it annoys me with ACC is at the end of the session where motion turns off and makes me stomach sick taking the car to the pit.

Upvote 0
Mascot, I doubt you are alone about the coil whine, there just aren't that many people with systems like this in place. I know that I'm very sensitive to sounds like that. I've put sorbothane under my DVR because it used to make a droning noise. I had mechanics all over my current car to locate a small failed weld that was rubbing and creating a creaking sound and I can still pick up higher frequency coil and flyback transformers.

Your comments are one reason I may not consider this venture. I would hate to have all that time invested just to be driven crazy by some coil whine. So I do appreciate the fact that you have brought this subject up.

Upvote 0
I didn't try it, as the extended arms connecting the seat platform to the obutto front frame would be sticking out. This would be awkward as they would be shifting with the seat. I've thought about cutting those pieces off, and leaving just the square frame for the seat (as I'd love to have those obutto mount points back), but I didn't want to destroy the Obutto frame in case I ever went over to an 80/20.

I threw around the idea of using an Obutto Ozone seat frame to mount on the platform instead, as the connecting legs on that are much shorter, and I've come across another build that did that exact thing. I contacted Chris from Obutto about purchasing just that piece, and he was willing to sell me one for around $150-200 USD, but didn't go through with it.

Hi Soulstoner,

Nice build and one of the few I've seen that address the R3volution directly!

I'm new to the whole Obutto R3volution NLR Motion Platform v3 conversion process but I do know I would like to use the existing pit as is if I'm going to integrate the motion platform. Would the motion platform be able to fit within and bolt directly to the existing Obutto seat frame using the existing mounting holes where we attach the keyboard tray, cupholder, etc., by removing the GT Ultimate side plates from the motion simulator and using those attachment points on the v3? If so, would the seat be just too high for practical use? Thanks for any response to this question... really would like to find answers to these questions before spending USD 3k and then having to spend a lot of time (that I don't have) trying to modify my existing sim rig or throwing out parts altogether!

Best,

Robert

Upvote 0
Hi Soulstoner,

Nice build and one of the few I've seen that address the R3volution directly!

I'm new to the whole Obutto R3volution NLR Motion Platform v3 conversion process but I do know I would like to use the existing pit as is if I'm going to integrate the motion platform. Would the motion platform be able to fit within and bolt directly to the existing Obutto seat frame using the existing mounting holes where we attach the keyboard tray, cupholder, etc., by removing the GT Ultimate side plates from the motion simulator and using those attachment points on the v3? If so, would the seat be just too high for practical use? Thanks for any response to this question... really would like to find answers to these questions before spending USD 3k and then having to spend a lot of time (that I don't have) trying to modify my existing sim rig or throwing out parts altogether!

Best,

Robert
No, that will not work as the NLRv3 base is wider than the seat frame. I was hoping for that option too.

If you wanted to keep those mount points, you'll need to mount that half of the frame to the V3 directly, which would then mean you would need to saw off the legs that connect the seat portion to the steering/front portion. Although, I guess you wouldn't NEED to saw them off, but they will be flailing around when the seat moves. You would then need to find a way to marry the two together like I did, so the seat doesn't slide back when pressing on the pedals.

I thought on ways to configure this for over a year, and I think I found the best compromise for the Obutto, but if you figure out a better way, please share! I'd love to have those mounting points back.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your thoughtful answer. The more I looked at your pictures, the more I could see that what I wanted to do is not feasible and you probably would have done the same if it was possible. You did a great job working with what Obutto gave us. I'd like to go motion rig and may go the RSeat route while I continue to search for a clean, relatively inexpensive, bolt together, NLR motion platform solution. Guess, I'll stick with the trusty Obutto for a bit longer while I continue to mull it all over.

Upvote 0
Not I either. Since my computer upgrade I've never experienced immersion anywhere near this good. The NLRv3 reacts in sync with what i expect better then before.

There may be better motion systems out there, but this is pretty darn good and I'm not touching a thing on my rig at this point.

Upvote 0
There were quite a few floating around a month or two ago as people were getting into the DIY SFX-100 motion solution, but I've sold mine and not sure how many are left. Check the marketplace thread in the forum.

Upvote 0
Just saw the NLM v3 software updates from April and Feb. Have you guys seen the renamed settings and have you seen there's now 6 post-processing settings instead of 2?

Are the renamed sliders literally just renamed or work slightly differently? I remember before, setting 1 slider to 0 sometimes meant another slider wouldn't work at all (eg. setting pitch to 0 would also disable longitudinal g-force or vice-versa). Does this still happen or are each of the vehicles' 6 axes (pitch, roll, yaw, longitudinal Gs, lateral Gs, vertical Gs) now truly independent, at least settings-wise?

Upvote 0
Interested to know this too now that I've moved my unit on to a new home. I knew that they were changing the graph and the way the settings were named (Forza 7 had this in its profile) but I have no idea how it translated to motion as I never used Forza 7 at all.

Looking forward to some feedback from V3 owners.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%