Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

No squeaking sound ever?
FWIW I've had mine for about 2.5 years and while there is actuator noise, I've not heard any squeaking.

I have used Silicone spray using the thin tube to direct the spray into the joints being careful to shield any openings in the enclosure as per the warning in the instructions. The instructions warn that if you spray lubricant into the case that it's possible to coat the positional sensors causing issues.

I did insert some cushion batting into the centers of the springs to dampen any potential spring ringing. It shouldn't ring if the springs are moving freely and are not catching on anything. But now if I tap on the springs with a metal object, they make a single ting, but have no ringing what-so-ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I opened Uniball Joints and greased them, also grease for rubber side of joint which manual says to do.
Springs greased with silicone based spray.
Took video about that little squeak sound which can be heared just before seat center itself.
Motion Systems wrote that sound not come from front but from back and eBrakes needed to be re-calibrate.
Did that and it´s better but sometimes still that little squeak.

From control panel setting from Park to Stop Immediately seems work also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NLR / Motion Systems video:

Before you take eBrakes out, look how those are positioned, take picture or use marker.
View attachment 495409
No need to open bottom (do not use ball headed hex key, it just destroy screws. At first loosen little bit both screws with shorter part of hex key):
View attachment 495410
If part is little stuck, use pliers to gentle take it out:
View attachment 495411
At Motion Systems / NLR video is inch tool, but of course it´s mm:
View attachment 495412
Now there is 3mm axle before that part and contactstrips are re-shaped to get better contact:
View attachment 495413

Also cleaned brake parts (it´s little difficult and not necessary so maby better not to do it):
View attachment 495415

I asked about squeaking sound which can be heared almost every time platform centered itself.
I greased every part what you can, but still squeaking.

First talked to Motion Systems and they told that sound comes from eBrakes and need to be adjusted. They do not give instructions for customers so contacted to NLR and got video link from there for adjusting eBrakes.
Took few pictures while operation.

At first sound disappeared but came back, however it´s not so disturbing anymore.
My´n is out of warranty so everything what you can DIY is welcome.
Thanks a lot for sharing this! I had exactly the same problem and thought that I'd have to send it to them. And my NLRv3 is out of warranty already. But with the instructions I was able to fix it myself and now it's back to life and I can enjoy driving with motion again.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for sharing this! I had exactly the same problem and thought that I'd have to send it to them. And my NLRv3 is out of warranty already. But with the instructions I was able to fix it myself and now it's back to life and I can enjoy driving with motion again.
Really glad to hear it helped, that was purpose to share instructions :)

Upvote 0

Before you take eBrakes out, look how those are positioned, take picture or use marker.
View attachment 495409
No need to open bottom (do not use ball headed hex key, it just destroy screws. At first loosen little bit both screws with shorter part of hex key):
View attachment 495410
View attachment 495411
View attachment 495412
Now there is 3mm axle before that part and contactstrips are re-shaped to get better contact:
View attachment 495413

Also cleaned brake parts (it´s little difficult and not necessary so maby better not to do it):
View attachment 495415

I asked about squeaking sound which can be heared almost every time platform centered itself.

First talked to Motion Systems and they told that sound comes from eBrakes and need to be adjusted. They do not give instructions for customers so contacted to NLR and got video link from there for adjusting eBrakes.

At first sound disappeared but came back, however it´s not so disturbing anymore.

sounds comes back, does this mean that you need to do this every 2-3 months? Seems to be a lot of work to take the rig apart every time to do this. I have mine apart right now and hope the sound does not come back again after it is fixed.

View attachment 495409
View attachment 495410
View attachment 495411
View attachment 495412
View attachment 495413

View attachment 495415

You wrote that the squeaking sound came back, does this mean that this repair has to be done regulary? I have mine apart right now, I also got this video from the support. But if I need to do this every 3-4 months (mine is 3 months old) then I will have to look for another system. That would be a pity because I think the V3 is awesome.

Upvote 0
I had some of the squeaking as well coming from the middle of the unit, but now I have a grinding noise eventually leading to a stall error - sound appears to come from the back.

Still waiting for support since in warranty, but that sounds like e-brakes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I´m not sure anymore where sound comes.
I re-calibrated e-brakes, cleaned brake parts, greased every possible place but still strugling with same squek / whistle noise which comes after maby 15min gaming and is very annoying at least for me.
It was silent maby week and then same squeaking.

Contacted again Motion Systems and NLR support, still waiting somekind of answer.

"karloy"
What You done for squeaking sound from middle, it just disappeared or somekind of service?

Upvote 0
I re-calibrated e-brakes, cleaned brake parts, greased every possible place but still strugling with same squek / whistle noise which comes after maby 15min gaming and is very annoying at least for me.

Contacted again Motion Systems and NLR support, still waiting somekind of answer.

"karloy"
What You done for squeaking sound from middle, it just disappeared or somekind of service?
OK, strange. I just got mine put together today again and will mount it in the simrig tonight. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

"karloy"
It never really disappeared, though it was on and off - I got used to it since using headphones. More worried what if this leads to the grinding issue, but that might be completely unrelated.

Upvote 0
Okay, if I would also use headphones it would not be a problem but I like play with 7.1 sound system.

I tried also loosen that M8 bolt at middle and greased metal surfaces which are contacted together, didn´t help.

Upvote 0
I am a big fan of Hornady OneShot. Use it for a number of things and is what got rid of the squeaking in my V3 pedal set: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-9990-Shot-Cleaner-DynaGlide/dp/B000LC9YM2

1631638733992.png

It is a fantastic anti-corrosive and dry lubrication spray which came out on top in this comprehensive testing: https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

1631638627970.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, if I would also use headphones it would not be a problem but I like play with 7.1 sound system.

I tried also loosen that M8 bolt at middle and greased metal surfaces which are contacted together, didn´t help.
So, after a couple of laps testing - no squeking sound so far. My first impression is that is a little more silent than before. I will try more tomorrow.
Another question, I get interested in your 7.1 sound system :) Can you tell more how that works? I have a 6.1 amplifer but only using Left, center, right and a subwoofer. But just using the normal 3,5 mm jack from back of the sound card. It would be great to have some speakers in the back and really use the amplifer, getting the exhaust sound in the back. Is that what you are doing? Maybe thats another thread or DM :)

Upvote 0
1 minute Googling and yes, it support.
Maby better make new thread for sound questions.

Back to issue with sqeaking Motion Platform V3.
NLR is arranging spare parts to e-brakes (brake plate inside e-brake) so if and when I get those I´ll report did it help or not.

Upvote 0
You are right, back to the topic :)
I got my V3 together again on Tuesday, did the bending of the small clip-ons according to the video provided. It helped, the sound was gone and actually the motion is more distinct/faster than before. Maybe it is just my feeling but before I really never felt the kind of wheel slip when sliding, now it jiggles/vibrate in a cool way. But, there is a but... after about two hours of using and the starting it up first time on Thursday evening the squaking flute-sound came back. Just a little short bit in the first 10-15 seconds when started to drive but this is exactly how it started 2-3 months ago. So I will let it be for a while and might ask NLR for some spare parts or other tips if it escalates. Looking forward to hear your process with the spare parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But, there is a but... after about two hours of using and the starting it up first time on Thursday evening the squaking flute-sound came back...
Just like with my case, it was silent a while but started again.
It would help others if you also contact to support and ask if they have any idea what could cause extra sound.

Brake part is my own guess and I take risk that it won´t help.
I cleaned those parts with fine sandpaper and it was quiet few hours...so I think it has something to do with brake "discs".
In real car brakes could also start keep that kind of sound if brake surface get glazed.
NLR V3 eBrake.jpg
There was also lots of brake dust which is from that part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 176 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 121 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 48 18.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 71 27.0%
Back