F1 2010 Career race: Race strategy overcomes the dastardly Legend AI

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
Just had a great career race last night at China. (Last season I was P20 there).
(Career 3 of 7. Lotus. Settings: 50% dist, Legend AI, all sims bar fuel, no assists bar auto box and pit speed/box).

Quali: 11[SUP]th[/SUP] was best I could do on Options but didn’t mind as I planned to start 10[SUP]th[/SUP] on primes anyway.
Weather forecast was 30% chance of rain which doubly meant primes to start. Was hoping the AI may get caught out with Rain in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half of race and need to two stop.

Opening laps: Starting P11 I muscled past some AI at the never ending turn 1 and again as they queued like gentlemen for turn 3 netting P6. Managed to get past Alonso briefly for P5 but like his real life version he hung on like a spaniel and re passed me when I made an error. I settled into P6 expecting to end there.

Middle: I did my best to stay in contact but Webber was -22sec by the first pit stop cycle. My race pace was around 2 sec a lap slower than his. It was just close enough and once all the AI had pitted I was in P1! Knowing that I would be passed when I pitted for options at lap 20/28 I tried to distance the mid field runners with good pace. Then.....The rain came around about my pit window!

Finale: I pitted for wets as the rain intensified returning in P6 but with 5 runners ahead of me still on options! Sure enough they had to pit for wets and as 3 of them did I gained a place. Until Webber pitted from P1 -29 sec and & Massa from P2 who both rejoined ahead of me. Webber -6 sec , Massa – 2 sec. My wet pace was better and I caught Mass at 2 sec per lap and got the pass. 3 laps from home and only Webber to pass. I got him at the end of lap 27/28 at the last hairpin and started the final lap in P1 taking the win.
Race win from P11 on a track where my dry race pace was +2sec. Very satisfying.

nice racing, I've not had the balls to start on primes, so hats off mate, as wojciech said would have liked to see that race. It is a shame about replays, as i would love to show some of my races, as i have sussed out alot of strategies to overcome the AI with some of my own dastardly displays and manoeuvres.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 44 53.0%