Castle Combe 2022

Tracks Castle Combe 2022 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
James Skinner submitted a new resource:

Castle Combe 2022 - Scratch built LiDAR scanned Castle Combe circuit with 2 layouts

View attachment 602517

At last, I’m happy to release the public beta of the Castle Combe mod I’ve been working on for over a year. It’s modelled from 1m LiDAR scan data and thousands of reference photos, so looks, layout and elevations should be reasonably accurate. It’s pretty much in a ‘finished’ state, although there are a few cosmetic improvements I’ll make when I find time - if you do have any feedback or notice any glaring errors / problems, I will try to fix for the full...

Read more about this resource...

combe.jpg

Nice track. I noticed that when the cars want to get out of the pit, they drive through each other. Wouldn't it be better to place the cars across the pit lane (see the lines). Of course, I have to admit that I don't know the track. Therefore, you have to decide what is better.

View attachment 602535
Nice track. I noticed that when the cars want to get out of the pit, they drive through each other. Wouldn't it be better to place the cars across the pit lane (see the lines). Of course, I have to admit that I don't know the track. Therefore, you have to decide what is better.
Thanks! Yes unfortunately this was a toss up between 2 not great choices - aesthetically I would rather have positioned them in the lines but then that makes it virtually impossible for people to hit the pit marker when racing online and making a stop! I may move some of the pit boxes to the right of the lane to give them some extra space...

Last edited:
Had to post to say thank you so much for this, I live in Swindon, so pretty much easy to travel to Silverstone, Thruxton, and Combe, but while the other two have good sim versions already (the Thruxton one being yours), Castle Combe has been neglected, you have finally put that right.

I just love the detail that's gone into not just getting the track itself right, but also the paddock and spectator areas (had to have a free-cam walk around), I even had a look and saw the 4x4 and Go-kart tracks are both in place, now if you made those drivable as well (hint, hint).

Last edited:
First of all big thanks for your track, it's very enjoyable.

I just wanted to point out that outside grass from pitlane entry to the exit of Quarry Corner behaves like tarmac - see pic for reference

Attachments

• Castle-Combe-99b.png
    Castle-Combe-99b.png
    88 KB · Views: 80
@fmg - to your points on the review page, I can easily tweak the ai line to give them a wider entry into Old Paddock. On the pit exit would be great to know which bit has the grip of an oil slick :laugh: - or is it the whole bit from light to the end of yellow line? Then on Tower corner - it is slightly off camber as the LiDAR scan data should have been high enough resolution to pick that up - I did wonder whether it should be a little more exaggerated, but it's hard to tell. I've also heard there's a bump and/or drain cover somewhere in the middle of Tower but couldn't for the life of me find any reference, so if you know where it is I'd love to know!

If you watch this old video you can see the bump thanks to the wet surface - it's pretty much at the Blue cone.
Dolomite Sprint Turbo at Combe
You can thank wet weather, it being a friends car, and Triumph's utter lack of steering feedback for nice slow lapping - it also gives an idea of the lines through the Esses and into Paddock. How far left a car goes is essentially determined by how much lateral grip Vs power it has. I've seen Radicals and Winged single seaters get almost fully back to the left, while a low powered classic might take a line much closer to that of your AI as they'll still be able to take Old Paddock flat :)

A slightly hotter and smoother (But still very cautious) lap in my own car is here: Really wet lap the Wet grip was insane as it wasn't long after the resurfacing, but there was a huge risk of aquaplaning - hence taking Folly and Avon Rise so gently.

I can't say that in 20+ years of driving Combe I've ever noticed a drain cover in Tower!

In the Dolomite video the pit exit is slippy all the way from the pits themselves to the big bump where you can see the tarmac change color.

Great videos - thank you!
Edit - also misread about the drain cover in a online track guide, it's under the blue cone off track and therefore roughly marks the apex!

Last edited:
This is amazing! I've been wishing for my local track for years and all of the attempts have been so far from reality it wasn't worth using them. This is quite literally game changing - I'm going to download tonight.

Can I be cheeky and ask if it's possible to add in layouts for the three sprints that happen at the venue? There's the Great Western Sprint next weekend over 1.75 laps with a start line at the pit exit and a finish line by the marshals post at Westway. The DMS runs in the summer over the same course but just 0.75 laps and the Pegasus Sprint in a month starts at the same point but finishes on the race circuit start/finish line.

here are the black blobs on the screen.
Hmm - can't say I or anyone else have noticed this, do they flash up occasionally or are they permanently there? In order to have any chance whatsoever of troubleshooting I would need a lot more detail - assuming it's only happening on this track? Which version of CSP are you using (assuming at least 1.76 if using Pure?) - unfortunately while CSP is great, the sheer number of potential configurations and bugs make it very difficult to troubleshoot for stuff like this but happy to take a closer look...

James Skinner updated Castle Combe 2022 with a new update entry:

Version 1.0 Update

Not a massive update and should have got to this much sooner - mostly just fixing issues people have pointed out but a few minor cosmetic improvements as well...

Release notes 1.0
Adjusted pit box positioning to give more room in pits
Adjusted collision box on first chicane tyre stack
Renamed some ’GRASS’ surfaces incorrectly defined
Added and / or adjusted normal maps on several textures
Tweaked ai line after Esses / before Old Paddock
Adjusted ai track boundaries on no chicanes layout...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks for the update James.
Noticed an alpha issue with the glass and fencing on one of the buildings, which is just visible when driving past. Has a holographic effect in VR.

1690278312172.jpeg

1690278349346.jpeg

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 39 84.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 32.6%