DiRT 2 Colin McRae: DiRT 2

As it, to the best of my knowledge, stands for Not So Serious Racing then probably not. That doesn't however mean they are wreckers or anything like that. In fact I'd go as far as suggesting that not all drivers who use auto or other views are wreckers and forced cockpits and manual are no guarantee of a good race either.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

In most Racing games I use the bonnet cam, some really good drivers here even use swingman. By your rationale we're not worth racing with and whilst I understand that in the public servers forcing certain conditions may preclude some of the smacktards it's still no guarantee.

Knowing who you are racing with and having mutual respect and shared ideas of what's fair and decent racing are the key, not limiting people to what they can or can not use.

I'd certainly prefer to see any races organised through RD not having such limitations. This game is no sim but it is really great fun, I'd hate to see that fun spoiled by elitist attitudes to how you should play.

:plus1: Swingman camera here :)

Agreed with you there Richard, I like to H shift when a car uses it and use sequential or paddles when the car does but because I use a controller for DiRT 2 I use auto, using buttons to change gear doesn't feel right - and one thing I'm certainly not is a wrecker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting anyone here is a wrecker and I know you didn't think I was implying it. It's just that I have seen a few posts in relation to Dirt 2 regarding forced cockpits and manual transmission being used to keep the "crash kiddies" out. I just want to make sure we don't need to do that here.

I use my wheel but I still use auto transmission because I want to concentrate purely on the fun aspect of this game rather than trying to make it more sim-like. I can't be faffing about with gears when I've got the car practically backwards going into a corner, I just wanna enjoy going backwards into the corner and sort it all out with a flourish on the way out.

My main target is to keep it as realistic as possible and yes, Richard, you're right, using other than first person doesn't mean one has bad attitudes.
Even here at RD no league is using full simulation afaik (forced cockpit, manual gears n clutch, 100% damage) and I'm quite sure no one would last a season without good manners.

Imho people would have an advantage with swing and bonnet. You can look further ahead into a turn and with rally games that seems to be a very big advantage. And ofcourse nobody should be excluded for this reason although in this case I think it warrents a footnote if somebody takes a win this way. For me swingarm is too distracting,but I could see the advantages in bonnet, it's just not for me.

Update:

I have formatted and reinstalled XP and associated updates.After installed all drivers,utilities and TH2go I'm pleased to report that Dirt2 now launches and runs quite smooth now.

After much fumbling I just now found myself online.Hilarious.Go fast or get run over lmao.

Thx again for all the help.Cyas out there

johnny greens

As it, to the best of my knowledge, stands for Not So Serious Racing then probably not. That doesn't however mean they are wreckers or anything like that. In fact I'd go as far as suggesting that not all drivers who use auto or other views are wreckers and forced cockpits and manual are no guarantee of a good race either.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

In most Racing games I use the bonnet cam, some really good drivers here even use swingman. By your rationale we're not worth racing with and whilst I understand that in the public servers forcing certain conditions may preclude some of the smacktards it's still no guarantee.

Knowing who you are racing with and having mutual respect and shared ideas of what's fair and decent racing are the key, not limiting people to what they can or can not use.

I'd certainly prefer to see any races organised through RD not having such limitations. This game is no sim but it is really great fun, I'd hate to see that fun spoiled by elitist attitudes to how you should play.

Probably the best P.O.V. I have ever seen regarding the issue.

Great post :good:

Well for me a rather common opinion to that issue.
People using cockpit-manuals-damage want to enjoy the most possible reality a simulation can generate and don't use advantages to finish with best result. They're focused more on that certain feel simulated throughout a race length than just finish first.
Just my personal experience after a decade of sim racing games

edit 1 : yesterday I've looked for a server that matches my taste 2 times.., none of approx. 20 had that, I opened one up myself and no one showed up, that's also reality...

Probably because most people aren't treating it like a sim, rather an amusing aside that happens to involve motor racing. There are much better "dirt racing" simulators for realism sakes, Dirt 2 is nothing more than eye candy and fun in my opinion. Winning means little to me in this game, the thrill of the chase and how you go about it far outweigh any desire to win.

Horses for courses though and each to his own, it's just my take on it, I understand and accept other people have their own point of view. I'd just prefer it wasn't taken seriously as a simulation here at RD and just enjoyed however anyone wants to enjoy it, without precluding people based on their desired settings.

Edit - Apologies for taking this way off topic. I don't think there is too much bloom in this game. It all adds to the eye candy if you ask me.

Linear steering

Can someone explain the linear settings in this game.When I ran Nascar2003 the linear setting was always set to 100.This was the setting for wheels and anything less was for joysticks if I remember correctly.How does this linear settings work?

Johnny

I spent a while with DiRT 2 on the PS3, but I assume the same things apply:

The reason I bought it was because of the PS3 demo, which I tried just because I'm a long term Codemasters fan, but I was expecting similar to their previous 2 offerings and wasn't expecting to purchase... Unlike DiRT 1 and GRiD (which I bought and returned the same day it was so bad) the steering is direct, crisp, good feedback. Zero floatiness. It's just so refreshing.

Sure, everything is a little fast and "larger than life", but it's honest, responsive and very fun.

• Teddie

Thanks RK.

Just a couple from when I was racing yesterday. The game is just incredible fun. Close cams in use.

I have all the rally cars, baja buggies, trucks done. But I think there are some bonus cars I have not unlocked or something. There are about 7 folders that I have not touched yet which I assume are the bonus cars, or I simply am not far enough in my career...

• Teddie

There will be an additional camera to cycle through that will be kind of between close and retail.

The close ones I've been marking in the xml as "xtralove"

and the one in between I think I'm going to mark as "cleavage".

Cheers,
Teddie

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 482 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 295 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 318 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 148 21.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.3%
Back