Resource icon

Other evoHUD 1.5.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Just been looking at this post earlier. This matches with my theory that those that can't run evoHUD have windows installed on a driveother than C: or in a folder other than "Windows" or both.

To be fair, I don't see anything in that post that would point to the Windows installation being in a non-standard location. Do you? The guy is only talking about the AMS installation path, plus he later confirmed he did a clean new install of the game instead of actually moving the old one.

But good catch about the fonts, I didn't even realize there might be a problem with that, the use of absolute path to the font file didn't ring any bells for me :( Might be worth a try to test that anyway with the people who get CTD with EvoHUD.

Yeh on second reading you are right. Thought I might have cracked it. Never mind. Worth making the fonts work without hard coded paths but I don't think this will fix many people's crash unless they match the criteria of having windows installed somewhere other than C:/windows

darn it. Had hoped it was a font issue. Do you have the following file c:\windows\fonts\arialbd.ttf @Christo Nieuwoudt

I would be surprised if you don't as it is just the font for Arial Bold.

Thanks
I don't have, just the normal Arial and Arial Rounded MT Bold. I did not delete any fonts though.....
Will download now.
Edit: When I select to use a font in Word, I can select Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow, Arial Rounded and Arial Unicode. There is no filename arialbd.ttf
Edit 2:
Found arialbd.ttf under old Windows 7 drive, copied the file and paste in Windows 10 folder. Asked me to replace it as it is already installed, I said yes. Problem is, when I open the font folder I cannot see the normal file detail list, but it shows the list of installed fonts. I think the font is there but not necessary the file. ??? .

Last edited:
No idea what that file comes from. I had assumed it was windows default but who knows.

Can you edit the evoHUD.nut (right at the top are several references to the arialbd.ttf) file so that all references to c:\windows\fonts\arialbd.ttf are changed to c:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf.

The hud will not be quite right in terms of look but it should load and not crash to desktop.

Looking here shows that arialbd.ttf does not come with windows 10. It comes with windows 7. I upgraded from 7 to 10 so that might explain why some have it (those that upgraded from 7) and those that don't.

Cross your fingers and toes and pray to the gods...... The hud will not be quite right in terms of look but it should load and not crash to desktop.

If this fixes it then I think we do have the fix for many of the crashes. Anyone with windows installed in a non default location or who got windows 10 without upgrading from windows 7 (or other version) will not have the font.

Looks like the open source font route is the way to go. Already using it in my mod.

Last edited:
I found the font file name, it is arialbd_0.ttf. I changed it to this name as well as to arial.ttf, but it still crashes. The crash is in AMS Beta. Will now not even open AMS with the mod. d_a_m_n.
Must I be able to select evoHUD in the menu under HUD Type or not?

Last edited:
Can you do something for me please Christo. If you have a moment please come on TeamSpeak now. I will be on for an hour or two tonight. I would like to use TeamViewer to do all of the following for you and check everything to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

If you don't want to then please do the following:
  1. Delete the folder "Automobilista\Plugins\evoHUD"
  2. Delete evoHUD.dll from "Automobilista\Plugins" folder
  3. Delete d3d9.dll from "Automobilista\" folder
  4. Delete evoHUD.nut from "Automobilista" folder
  5. Delete evoHUD.ini from "Automobilista" folder (if it exists)
  6. Check the game loads
    Assuming it loads then...
  7. Verify AMS using steam
  8. Check that you now have a d3d9.dll file in the "Automobilista\" folder (this will be the dynHUD file that we will replace in a moment).
  9. Extract this zip to the "Automobilista" folder overwriting any files found. This should:
    • replace the d3d9.dll with the custom evoHUD version
    • add an adjusted evoHUD.nut file to the "Automobilista" folder (uses a different font that you have installed)
    • add the evoHUD.ini file to the "Automobilista" folder.
    • Adds evoHUD.dll to "Automobilista\Plugins"
    • Adds the "Automobilista\Plugins\evoHUD" folder
  10. Launch the game
  11. Cross fingers
  12. Let us know.....

I was getting CTDs using EvoHUD, random and sporadic. I also have my game on D:\ so I had to stop using it.

One that was quite reproduce able was restarting a race by pressing 'ESC' and then restart race would quite often definitely cause a crash.

I found the font file name, it is arialbd_0.ttf. I changed it to this name as well as to arial.ttf, but it still crashes. The crash is in AMS Beta. Will now not even open AMS with the mod. d_a_m_n.
Must I be able to select evoHUD in the menu under HUD Type or not?
Edit: When I select to use a font in Word, I can select Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow, Arial Rounded and Arial Unicode. There is no filename arialbd.ttf
Edit 2:
Found arialbd.ttf under old Windows 7 drive, copied the file and paste in Windows 10 folder. Asked me to replace it as it is already installed, I said yes. Problem is, when I open the font folder I cannot see the normal file detail list, but it shows the list of installed fonts. I think the font is there but not necessary the file. ??? .

You won't see the arialbd.ttf as a separate font in Word or any other program, it's simply the bold variant of Arial. Arial Black, Narrow, Rounded and Unicode are basically completely different fonts, that's why you see them listed.

And in general, I wouldn't recommend tinkering with font files as in renaming them or rewriting/reinstalling them unless you really know what you're doing, at least with these essential fonts, as you can get yourself into more trouble.

Just try what @Nobkins suggested and change the font definitions in the .nut file if you can, or I can upload a modified version later for people to test.

Oh and no, you don't select evoHUD in game under HUD Type, that's not how it works. You activate evoHUD by copying its d3d9.dll to the game folder. As long as its there, evoHUD is always active.

Thanks @Alex Sawczuk . Still no closer to the cause. i was really hopeful that it was related to hard coded fonts but after spending 30mins with Christo trying all sorts of things we had no luck and still crashes as soon as we go out on track.

@Christo Nieuwoudt thank you for your time. Christo is has renamed his AMS folder and is doing a verify to download a 100% default version of AMS for testing. I'm racing with Christo tomorrow so we will see how that goes then.

@kenken I do not know how your evoHUD works in the back end but ideas to throw out there.

As squirrel is based on java is their any likelihood that the version of java a user has installed is relevant or is evoHUD self contained? Again related could it be related to whether people have the 32bit java or the 64bit java installed.

@Nobkins I've mentioned it before - I have one of the worst possible combinations I guess: Windows is on the default path on the C drive (SSD), but Steam and Steam games are on the D drive (regular HDD), but the AMS folder is actually a directory junction to my G drive (also regular HDD) as I'm running out of space on D ;)

great work Jim and kenken.
I will try and collate some info from the guys that race with me for which a majority cannot use this HUD as it crashes.
I will find out where their installs are but I know they all use ssd drives.
My windows is on c: and steam on d: and it works great for me.
Let you know what I find

I think I'm going to upload the new version of my custom .nut as a standalone mod if that's OK. It's starting to get a bit hard to track the changes and stuff like that I think, plus I've also added things I didn't even intend to add when I originally started to mod the layout - for example now I've added the possibility to turn most widgets on and off by hotkey (only some could be toggled off in the default layout) and I've also added a hotkey to turn most of the HUD on and off with a single button for those who don't like the screen cluttered.

Granted, most of this will become completely obsolete once @Nobkins releases his customizable GUI version, but still.

@Nobkins BTW, as far as fonts are concerned, I realized there are already TrueType fonts included with the game as part of DynHUD, so in the new version of my layout, I'm using the font that comes with the game (Gotham), which has two advantages - first, it makes the HUD look more like DynHUD does, and second, it's obviously completely independent on Windows system fonts and/or their location.

@Tony I'm thinking it would be a good idea to make a sort of questionaire of as many things as possible that might possibly be related to the EvoHUD crash and see if there's anything in common. I'm probably going to do that and post it in a separate thread.

Last edited:
I want to apologize for the lack of posts regarding the crashing. I did some fiddling around with installs and stuff a while back and couldn't make heads or tails on what was going on.

@Nobkins i doubt if it is the font files because:
1) windows is installed in C:/windows
2) EvoHud worked fine with the default AMSBeta install path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AMSBeta
3) EvoHud crashes with the default Automobilista install path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista
4) EvoHud works fine when I moved the install directory to a different drive - D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Automobilista

My C: and D: drives are just different partitions of the same SSD

I had previously did a a couple of uninstalls of AMS trying to see if there was a problem with the old install and it still crashed. Ditto after I made I had full access permissions wise to the files and folders in the default AMS install. At the time, Debugview didn't throw any errors when trying to load. After burning about 100GB of my data cap uninstalling/installing AMS to no avail I have kept AMS on my D: drive where EvoHud works.....even though it is one of the older versions.

Is there any way to have two installs of AMS on the computer without causing any conflicts? Was thinking of maybe just copying the files back to the default steam install directories to help in debugging.

After reading through many of the recent posts I want to think the problem may lie in a bug in squirrel, and there may be a problem with the install path the same way there is a problem in loading the 8.3 .nut modules. But....I am not so sure because if there was a problem with the install directory, then EVERY person trying to use EvoHud with AMS installed in the the steam default directory should have crashes.

I want to apologize for the lack of posts regarding the crashing. I did some fiddling around with installs and stuff a while back and couldn't make heads or tails on what was going on.

@Nobkins i doubt if it is the font files because:
1) windows is installed in C:/windows
2) EvoHud worked fine with the default AMSBeta install path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AMSBeta
3) EvoHud crashes with the default Automobilista install path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista
4) EvoHud works fine when I moved the install directory to a different drive - D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Automobilista

My C: and D: drives are just different partitions of the same SSD

I had previously did a a couple of uninstalls of AMS trying to see if there was a problem with the old install and it still crashed. Ditto after I made I had full access permissions wise to the files and folders in the default AMS install. At the time, Debugview didn't throw any errors when trying to load. After burning about 100GB of my data cap uninstalling/installing AMS to no avail I have kept AMS on my D: drive where EvoHud works.....even though it is one of the older versions.

Is there any way to have two installs of AMS on the computer without causing any conflicts? Was thinking of maybe just copying the files back to the default steam install directories to help in debugging.

After reading through many of the recent posts I want to think the problem may lie in a bug in squirrel, and there may be a problem with the install path the same way there is a problem in loading the 8.3 .nut modules. But....I am not so sure because if there was a problem with the install directory, then EVERY person trying to use EvoHud with AMS installed in the the steam default directory should have crashes.
Fred, you could try a program called steam mover. So create both steam game folders in steam one to c and one to d then you can use steam move to move files between each path and see if it fails or works. http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

@Tony I'm thinking it would be a good idea to make a sort of questionaire of as many things as possible that might possibly be related to the EvoHUD crash and see if there's anything in common. I'm probably going to do that and post it in a separate thread.
Just what I was considering doing

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 513 68.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 317 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 337 45.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 167 22.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 201 26.9%
Back