F1 2019 F1 2019: F2 Won't Feature Full Career Mode

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2019 - F2 No Career Mode.jpg

Codemasters Lee Mather confirms the career mode of the upcoming F1 2019 won't support a full season of Formula Two.

Although players of the new game will get the opportunity to complete a full campaign in the feeder series via Championship mode, it looks like you won't be able to race completely in the Formula Two category before stepping up to the main series as part of a progression within the career mode aspect of the title.

According to a tweet by Mather, the F2 portion of the career mode will consist of "3 events, with a narrative" - which if I'm honest feels like something of a missed opportunity from Codemasters.

Mather Tweet.jpg

Quite how this all plays out in F1 2019 is yet to be formally revealed, and it is worth noting that a full season can still be enjoyed in the standalone championship mode within the title, so players looking forward to having some fun in the lower rungs of single seater racing don't need to enter full panic mode just yet!

Interestingly, Mather also mentions something about retirements and drivers moving within the game world - although frankly I'm not quite sure exactly what that means or how it will be represented within the game come release day next month.

More information to follow as and when it becomes available.

F1 2019 is due to release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC June 2019.

Catch the latest news and discussion at the F1 2019 Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - join in with your fellow community members and share some of the F1 2019 love!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Yet another 'hey, let's add this feature, but not really' nonsense.

Why can I only change liveries in MP but not in career? Why can't I run a full season of F2 in career? Why can rivals replace existing drivers, but existing drivers not replace each other (licensing, I know, I know, but it still annoys me)? There is so much potential here that is being left behind year after year. Why they felt the need to add a narrative is beyond me as well, taking away precious development time from core features. I at least wish they would've added the potential to decide over settings whether the user wants to complete a full F2 season or not, but once again the power is not given to the users. Infinitely frustrating, especially because it all seems within reach every time they release the game, if only they tweaked certain things by a tiny margin.
Because its a console game...

Yet another 'hey, let's add this feature, but not really' nonsense.

Why can I only change liveries in MP but not in career? Why can't I run a full season of F2 in career? Why can rivals replace existing drivers, but existing drivers not replace each other (licensing, I know, I know, but it still annoys me)? There is so much potential here that is being left behind year after year. Why they felt the need to add a narrative is beyond me as well, taking away precious development time from core features. I at least wish they would've added the potential to decide over settings whether the user wants to complete a full F2 season or not, but once again the power is not given to the users. Infinitely frustrating, especially because it all seems within reach every time they release the game, if only they tweaked certain things by a tiny margin.
I think it doesn't depend on Codies, like the damage system. I would like to see a completely smashed car but sponsors and teams won't allow that.
Sadly I think they can't make F1 drivers retire and being replaced by F2 guys for the same reason

Slow I know, but it just dawned on me, the reason it is F2 2018 is because the rookies are predetermined as Norris, Albon and Russell, so I guess if you do this mode you gotta start at maclaren, williams or toro rosso

I was excited with this career mode formula 2 idea into formula 1 as an optional settings within the UI,
just seems like a waste well for me, luckily I got my copy from Fanatec for 1 euro so its all good.

I'm far from a programmer, but it cant be that hard to create a F2 championship, you got the cars and tracks, only think missing is programs that say somethign like: create championship with these (f2) cars at these (f2 only) venues.

That's EA Sports level of thinking. There's no reason to release a sports game every year, other than people are dumb enough to buy it every year.

Bahamba. F1 2019 is now the 10'th edition, and now they put in F2 in as an extra feature, with full year in championship mode. I simply cannot see that as "the same"
Give Codies a little credit for once. won't ya?

To be fair I agree, with the amount of extra time put into this one (A extra year so two years development) I feel the extra attention to the maybe to some "gimmick" of F2 is not that big of an issue. I feel like yeah they could have had made it more of a sim, but also with that a lot of the F1 community is not the "Sim Racing" type, they are more arcade racers... They have a healthy median of the two at this current moment.

Me personally. Yes. I would love to have a full on sim, but taking into consideration the casuals; I enjoy the added features even if its minor (3 Races of F2 for placement).

I am the type that likes iRacing so I would absolutely love more but understand (From previous experience) the standpoint of the casuals.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 98 71.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 28 20.4%