F1 22 F1 22 VR Gameplay

F1 22 the official Formula 1 Game
This is ridiculous. F1 2022 on a monster PC with HP Reverb G2, Nvidia 3090, DDR5 RAM, and 12th gen Intel works at 20 FPS.

Unacceptable.

PS. And no freaking mouse support. What should we do in VR in their opinion?
you alt-tabbed out the game by any chance? i noticed the fps dropping after i did that but if you simply stay in game it's fine. idc about mouse support my keyboard does the job fine

Downloaded it last night...NOT GOOD AT ALL. Had to roll back to my previous driver today. They need to add the oculus VR app to the options because steam VR is a steaming pile of Gladys Knight....the game does not run at 90hz and I have a 3080ti/5900x combo...im just hoping when they do officially release tomorrow it comes with a very large update because the game is virtually unplayable in VR

Same negative initial thoughts for me also unfortunately. Hoping they make it so you can launch in Oculus VR mode instead of steam as it's pretty bad at the moment. Only tried this on trial so will see how things progress before getting the full version :(
It feels like they haven't optimised it for VR at all. I agree Oculus VR might save it as Steam VR crashes when you roll out of the paddock.
I even tried the VR ultra low settings and it still s*#t the bed.. Either way after my experience today I'm giving it a wide berth cause it wreaks havocwithh my GPU for some reason...

I just wanted to share my first impression in VR with you.

Runs super smooth with the VR High preset.

I lowered the shadows, mirrors, weather and post processing to medium.
Under video options I changed Anisotropes Filtering to 16x and Anti Allising to TAA and Fidelity FX.

5600X
3080 10GB
HP Reverb G2 60Hz mode
Steam Resolution per eye 3000x3000

Last edited:
I just wanted to share my first impression in VR with you.

Runs super smooth with the VR High preset.

I lowered the shadows, mirrors, weather and post processing to medium.
Under video options I changed Anisotropes Filtering to 16x and Anti Allising to TAA and Fidelity FX.

5600X
3080 10GB
HP Reverb G2 60Hz mode
Steam Resolution per eye 3000x3000
Good to hear it works for you, there doesn't seem to be any pattern because I have a 3080ti/5900x combo. The only difference is I use a quest 2 so maybe they need to update the software for this as it tanks when I use it on steam.

Going to wait for a few more software revisions before I try my hand again...

This is ridiculous. F1 2022 on a monster PC with HP Reverb G2, Nvidia 3090, DDR5 RAM, and 12th gen Intel works at 20 FPS.

Unacceptable.

PS. And no freaking mouse support. What should we do in VR in their opinion?
Hi, can you run reverb g2? I can't. I get a message headset not worn. How did you solve that? Thanks.

I have about 2 hours of game play so far. I did a 50% race at Bahrain and I personally thought it was great. I am running an AMD 3800x / 3080ti / Reverb G2 / Fanatec DD1. I have done some time trial and practice so far but everything has been running great for me. I tweaked my setting to mostly medium and high. Turned down the ray tracing effects as that tanks fps. Next I am going to try switching to TAA as I read that can improve draw distance clarity. It seems FSR may be causing some distant blurring.

Can't even do a lap without the game crashing. Logitech g29, all graphics settings medium 5800X and a RTX 3070 with a Quest 2.
Depending on settings, the game can either look quite nice but run badly, or look like a blurry mess and run badly. For half a lap.

EDIT:
Finally done some laps. After rage clicking random settings changes in steam VR it's stopped crashing. (Don't ask me what, I changed anything that seemed like it might have an effect.)

I'm not sure it's a frame rate issue I'm suffering from, it's more like lag. It seems smooth until I venture into the menu to change a setting or use a flashback during a race, then it turns into lag city and I have to restart the race to get it smooth again. GFX settings can be on ultra or low and it's the same.

I think there's a good VR experience in there, but there's an issue going into the menus during a race that's ruining it for me. If I change settings from the main home screen and not in a race, it seems fine.

Has anyone got it running with open composite? I've tried, but it only wants to play in steam vr.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone has the same "problem" I ran into and from what I read, others did. My initial VR experience was a stuttering unplayable mess but then I read that connecting one's pedals using USB might be causing trouble (shouldn't, but there you go). I am using Fanatec gear (DD2 wheel base, V3 pedals) and instead of using USB, I connected the pedals to the wheel base itself using an RJ12 cable and that solved the stuttering.

Beyond technical problems, one issue I really want solved is the "g-force effect" or whatever it is, where the game adds head movement to the VR view. It's really disorienting for me and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off. I hope they add such an option.

Last edited:
My settings:

Steam VR SS 200%
Motion smoothing off
World scale 85%
Valve Index@80hz

Latest Nvidia-driver

Ingame
VR Average settings
Video Settings: AA 16, TAA with AMD FRS
Windowed

Gear
2080ti OC
i9990@5Ghz

I get between 70 and 80 FPS depending on the track and the number of cars around. It doesn't look as sharp as AC with CSP, needless to say nowhere near iRacing@VR, but F1 22 has a lot of World details and the VR adaption works better for me than expected.

Hi, I’ll share also my experience. Right now, I just “tested” (the meaning of the inverted commas will be clear soon) the game in hot lap mode.

Origin version of the game
headset: Reverb G2 V2
CPU: 5950X
GPU: RTX 3080 FE
RAM: 32 GB 3800 MHz
SteamVR supersampling: 50%, to run closely to the native resolution of the G2 (even if I don’t know if it works with origin apps, I can’t set the per-application supersampling since F1 22 isn’t displayed in the library)

I have to say that graphics is blurry, but maybe it’s related to FSR 1.0 that is the default option. With other AA settings, it seems to improve a bit. The problem is that I can’t test the game properly because I have constant crashes, after more or les 10/15 minutes. Always. I can’t say if it is because the Reverb G2 isn’t officially supported (even if it should work as all the other headsets that use SteamVR), or because it’s simply a bugged game.

To summarize, graphics is “ok”, neither stunning nor a complete disaster, but the game remains unplayable due to constant crashes, at least for me.

Hi, I’ll share also my experience. Right now, I just “tested” (the meaning of the inverted commas will be clear soon) the game in hot lap mode.

SteamVR supersampling: 50%, to run closely to the native resolution of the G2 (even if I don’t know if it works with origin apps, I can’t set the per-application supersampling since F1 22 isn’t displayed in the library)

I have to say that graphics is blurry, but maybe it’s related to FSR 1.0 that is the default option. With other AA settings, it seems to improve a bit. The problem is that I can’t test the game properly because I have constant crashes, after more or les 10/15 minutes. Always. I can’t say if it is because the Reverb G2 isn’t officially supported (even if it should work as all the other headsets that use SteamVR), or because it’s simply a bugged game.

To summarize, graphics is “ok”, neither stunning nor a complete disaster, but the game remains unplayable due to constant crashes, at least for me.
Like you I did eventually get the game to work. I had to update the gpu drivers, but I have to agree, even with a high end card, the graphics are not good at all. I play AMS2 in VR and going from that to this is night and day. All we can do now is wait for patches and mods to see if the game will improve...only at 72hz with the res that low is insane for such a big title in 2022..im also hoping AMS2 improve their overall presentation, pitcrew animations driver liveries then tbh we won't need to play F122 at all...

Actually I noticed a big difference in overall picture clarity by switching from FSR 1.0 to Fidelity FX for the Anti Allising setting. You might give it a try. Your system should be capable of doing it :)

The graphics are definitely comparable to AMS 2 on my system. Maybe not in the far distance but tbh while driving I am so immersed, I dont notice it.

Last edited:
After some further tinkering I was able to get an average FPS of ~85 and the experience was very comparable to AMS2. Switch the AA to TAA with sharpening while reducing the steam resolution down to 80% or so. Keep in mind I am getting ~85 fps with the whole field in view. When it is another car or hot lapping its always 89-90.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 5.3%