Fan control and high CPU temperature

I'm looking for help on how to control the fans in my computer. I just posted some test results after a CPU upgrade here. I replaced an i3-4130 with an i7-4790 in my old Dell Alienware X51 R2, using the stock cooler and Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The CPU has a maximum rated temperature of 73 °C, but it was getting up to 90 °C during testing with ACC. The computer would not run the fans fast enough to keep the CPU cool. I ended up using SpeedFan to run the CPU fan and other system fans at 100%, which keeps the CPU at a chilly 62 °C at full load with ACC. However, I have a problem with that solution. My kids also use this computer to play games and do animation in Blender. They have their own accounts on the computer, which do not have admin privileges. I'm not willing to disable UAC, which pops up whenever I start SpeedFan. I'm looking for a way to control the fans without needing to enter my password, after the computer turns on from sleep, hibernate, or shutdown.

I updated to the latest BIOS, but that didn't help. I've tried looking in the BIOS settings, but there is nothing there for the fans. My current plan is to leave SpeedFan running in my account while other accounts are logged on. I'm still learning how SpeedFan works, so I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. In the Advanced tab of the Configure menu, I set the PWM Mode of each fan to MANUAL. The "remember it" box needs to be checked for the setting to persist across power state changes (sleep, hibernate, or power off). It seems like there may be some stability issues with that box checked. It seems like when SpeedFan is not running, the normal fan controls don't work correctly and the CPU overheats, leading to an automatic computer restart. If that box is not checked, there is no problem. Does checking those boxes affect anything when SpeedFan is not running?

Is there a way to control the fans without needing to enter my password for SpeedFan? Is there a way to automatically start it when the computer starts? Is there some other way to permanently modify the fan settings?

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • BMW

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • McLaren

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Intel

Votes: 7 15.2%