Cars Ford Transit 2005 (WIP)

You've just reminded me of something I've always wondered about: why do so many digital digits appear to float a good distance in front of their actual displays in some car mods? Lazy conversions, probably - but what causes it?
There's also the occasional issue where a speedo needle is sticking out like a sundial. I'm always scared of poking one of my eyes out under heavy braking in VR.
Well you need to have some distance otherwise you have issues with clipping. The further from the origin of the track you are, the bigger this distance needs to be to avoid the clipping, so its always a bit of a compromise between having text 'floating' and having them flickering on bigger tracks.

And because this is largely going to be used on the Nords, which out of the Kunos track has the most issues, I do also have to have a reasonable margin. I'll make sure to tune them all to suit the Nords whilst keeping the floating distance to a minimum :)

Well you need to have some distance otherwise you have issues with clipping. The further from the origin of the track you are, the bigger this distance needs to be to avoid the clipping, so its always a bit of a compromise between having text 'floating' and having them flickering on bigger tracks.

And because this is largely going to be used on the Nords, which out of the Kunos track has the most issues, I do also have to have a reasonable margin. I'll make sure to tune them all to suit the Nords whilst keeping the floating distance to a minimum :)
Ah, very interesting about the clipping and origin distances, thanks Gary.
I've got some dodgy mods where the digits look to be about six inches (or more in some cases) in front of the LCD panel, and thought the modder probably didn't notice in 2D cockpit view because he didn't try it in VR. It's Minority Report levels of holographic floatiness in some cases.
Moral of the story: don't drive dodgy mods.

Ah, very interesting about the clipping and origin distances, thanks Gary.
I've got some dodgy mods where the digits look to be about six inches (or more in some cases) in front of the LCD panel, and thought the modder probably didn't notice in 2D cockpit view because he didn't try it in VR. It's Minority Report levels of holographic floatiness in some cases.
Moral of the story: don't drive dodgy mods.
Hah yeah it becomes much more acute in VR, even 2-3mm is noticeable and looks much more in VR.

Just remembered, the Royal Mail one is off the cards. Pat Clifton, AKA Postman Pat has that one secured

custom_showroom_1530785955.jpg

i like this kind of details!
upload_2018-7-5_14-23-25.png

i've said it before, i will say it again.
I've never been so excited to drive a Transit before.

Except maybe for that one time to go buy my sofa

If Panther Black is still available: #98 John Schulze Germany

I really hope there is going to be a S1 version with the passenger seat removed :D

If Panther Black is still available: #98 John Schulze Germany

I really hope there is going to be a S1 version with the passenger seat removed :D
Panther Black is yours! Only the 2 red skins left :)

As for the S1 suggestion - I kinda want to but my OCD will not let me. For example we don't know everything that was removed, we don't know how much mass was saved, how it effected the CoG position or height. We don't know what the effect of the tape covering panel gaps was.
So yeah I like the idea, I've definitely thought about it, but really its not possible to do properly.

I think having the 100% most ideal Nordschleife conditions with a clear track should be enough of an advantage over Sabine, surely you will all be able to smash her time? ;)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%