F1 2010 Formula One 2010 (Codemasters)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
OverTake
Premium
As seen on autosport.com - F1 News: New computer game deal for F1:

Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.
With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.
The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.
After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.
Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.
"The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the F1 audience and connecting them globally.
"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."
Chris Deering, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.
"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."
Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.
There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

The website says "Xbox360 Also Available on PS3, PC-DVD" So it will be on PC but a port of an Xbox game.. or so it seems by the way they present that.

So because they list the PC last you make that leap to a conclusion? The developers these days make their game engine's to work on multiple format's and the EGO engine is no different. It works as well on the 360, PS3 or PC and Codemasters have said in the past its not platform specific. They most likely list the formats in the order they expect it to sell and console games tend to sell better so they market to those strengths, also companies like Microsoft pay for advertising so you'll see a multiplatform game advertised on TV but then see a large XBOX 360 logo at the end, if you took that literally you could be led to believe its only coming out on that format.

So because they list the PC last you make that leap to a conclusion?

No, it is because they list it like this:

capturegtrfmoskja.jpg

Makes it look like PS3 and PC are secondary, don't you think?

BTW... why so aggro at me.. you own stock in Codies?

The sequel of the discussion here

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Arsenal

Makes it look like PS3 and PC are secondary, don't you think?

BTW... why so aggro at me.. you own stock in Codies?
That's not true imo Arsenal, "ALSO AVAILABLE ON" changes according to your viewing page. If you look to F1 2010's Xbox 360 version, you see PS 3 and PC as "Also available on".

Look at those pictures ;

As a site that caters for multiple platforms its disappointing to see such misinformed views of not only the users of those platforms but also the capabilities of the consoles. Codemasters have said in the past that they developed the EGO engine to not be platform specific, a game engine these days is very modular and able to be scaled to suit the hardware its being used on. I have console games that support 16,32,64 and even 256 players. The reason most console games support 8-16 players is because typically they use a peer to peer system, a player will host the other 8-16 players. Some games use dedicated servers but they tend to be first party studio's owned by the platform holder such as Sony who hosts servers for the popular Warhawk game which supports 32 players and also M.A.G which supports 256 players. Far from being 'kiddies' or any other condescending description you might use the average age would be much higher than you might think in my experience.

Match Making is usually a Xbox live inclusion. I dont know if the same format gets used on the Games for Windows but since Xbox live has the most online users, coupled with the games for windows and money paid for exclusivities microsoft get a big say on the format of how games run.Hence the COD matchmaking.

I don't think we'll see the same sort of thing with F1 2010 as Microsoft like to put their eggs very much in the crap that is the Forza basket.
This is one of the reasons we saw PGR dropped by microsoft studios and why none microsoft racing games find the 360 a crowded market.

Im not writing it off yet. not sure it will be all out sim, but as long as its fun I'd still have it, should fill the gap for fun airchair racer for the PS3. Not that the Fifa disk ever comes out but you know it might.

Putting the handling asidefor now.
I think this will be more sim than we all think some of the features with it scream sim:

Progressive drying line
Marbled track with tyre wear
Flat spots on lock up
Moving onto wet to keep tyres cool on a drying track
Real pickup on tyres effecting grip
Curbs slippy in wet

Thats just a few off the top of my head. Even if the handling isn't how we would all like it to be, with features such as that affecting grip levels etc you cant deny it being a sim.
Soley due to the game SIMULATING real track conditions.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 279 34.4%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 228 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 150 18.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 20 2.5%