F1 2010 Formula One 2010 (Codemasters)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
OverTake
Premium
As seen on autosport.com - F1 News: New computer game deal for F1:

Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.
With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.
The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.
After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.
Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.
"The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the F1 audience and connecting them globally.
"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."
Chris Deering, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.
"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."
Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.
There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

Why was F1 2009 never released on PC?

This is a question that I have for a long time. I heared there were some license issues (which?) that prevents F1 2009 to come out on PC. Instead it was only sold on PSP and Wii if i am correct.

Does anybody have an insights why it was not released on PC?

I think they did'nt release it to PC because ithas too bad graphics and pyshics for a New PC Game. Just my opinion of course. Just a guess :) And they released it for some money support for their "True" F1 game.

I've seen the vids of the cm f1 2010...

Not convinced... unsless in real life you can hit into the back of a f1 car, flip it, then drive on into the distance... :tongue:

But seriously i wouldn't be getting my hopes up. Lot's of videos in monza where the guy just floors it out of turn one, without a hint of the back coming out..

i have to disagree with that part, i have a few exemple of license games that are sims. the first one beeing the race series and the second one beeing the Grand Prix serie ( by Geoff Crammond ), they are both license game and they are both simulator games. in my opinion the problem is that the codemaster F1 game will be made for both the pc and the consoles and thats where limitations are, imo the console is unable to run full sims games with the level of graphic that they want to have compare to the pc where the limitations are way smaller. the console runs a game completely from a DVD either HD or blue ray which have a content limitation that use the Ram as a buffer while the pc game run the game from the HDD and use the Ram only for essentials informations and thats where the limitations are for the console and when codemaster makes a game for all the platform well the game is primary made for the console and then transfer to the pc, they don't make the same game for the 2 hardware limitations, one game one limitation and sadely it have to be the console limitation meaning forget the full simulation part.

just my 2 cents

I agree with your comment on a license not meaning it has to appeal to a broad spectrum. This game will be the first multi platform disc format game to feature laser scanned tracks and on the basis that they have gone to the trouble to laser scan the tracks then I don't seem them wasting that data on a completely arcade representation of F1. You comments about the console limitations are not correct however. Games on the 360 can be installed to the HDD and games on the PS3 have installed essential data onto the HDD for years as standard. One would only have to play something like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue to understand that console games can handle both graphics and physics. Codemasters EGO engine has prooved itself to be very versatile powering their recent crop of racing games and combat titles such as Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Is this news of Polyphony having the F1 license just rumour or has a statement been made?

It's somewhere on the CM F1 2010 forum. Can I post the link? Someone from CM did post that they scrapped the track laser scans.

I've been posting there for quite some time and there is a raging debate on what's included and what's left out, and whether it's a sim or semi-arcade.

YPDATE:

ARGH. Can't find the page with the info I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure it's there, though.

That's my take also. CM seems to be very cagy regarding dedicated servers. One of the developers did post that MP will only be a 12 car field due to the consoles internet connection not up to more cars (???). He posted something to the effect of "Where have you ever seen a console with more than 12 cars?" This seems like CM is focusing on the console platforms and the PC version will just be a lowly port, no better, and probably not as good as, the console versions.

They do hint that F1 2011 will have a more "robust" online setup.

They really are focused on the single player part, what with doing interviews, going to the motorhome, etc. Really lame stuff for console kiddies (and I know not all console owners are kiddies, but it does look like they're trying to get the interest of those aged 9 to 15).

I just thought they didn’t have enough development time for the PC, PS3 and 360 version. It would be good if they included the ‘09 season in the 2010 game, although that would need a few additions (KERS for example), and also the Nürburgring as this years German GP’s at Hockenheim.

Dont cross out F1 2010 just yet. It is obvious that codemasters is making a game that will be accessible for mass audience, otherwise it does not pay to develop it especially on such high level. Yet from the beginning CM promised that this tittle will also offer some play for gamers closer to the the sim experience. I still do not expect much from that yet i hope it will be something that will encourage me to try it.
And lets face the facts - with such excellent graphics and the F1 license they would have to make it arcade only and blew it completely to make it worthless.

I know someone who is friends with Paul Jeal, the senior producer of F1 2010.
He has stated that the guy who was responsible for Grid and Dirt has now left codemasters and the game has gone back to the codemasters roots i.e TOCA.

The initial development of F1 2010 was designed around a heavy arcade basis (apparently) but since the person who was responsible for this has left the game has become more of a hardcore sim.
But......
Dont expect it to be on the level of any PC sim, i think at best we can expect the physics to be somewhere in the region of Race Pro, for console gamers thats great news for the PC gamer not as great but i would say adequate.

Bare in mind all this info is 2nd hand, so please dont get the pitch forks out if the final product is a let down.
I will update anyone with as much behind the scenes info as and when i get it :)

Argh, Race Pro! You can already tell it’s going to be better than that piece of crap, but if Codemasters do go old school, F1 2010 should be pretty entertaining like their earlier stuff (as apposed to the more recent titles which require no skill whatsoever).

In terms of physics and handling if it's half as good as Race Pro they've done a good job.
Race Pro is by far the best racing game on the 360 in terms of physics and handling.
Well there isn’t much competition on the 360. The exclusive titles of Forza, Project Gotham never realised the potential they had on the original Xbox and none of the other titles are really worth mentioning. That’s kind of why F1 2010’s so important as there has been a real absence of any decent console driving games for many years now (apart from Race Pro in some peoples eyes :biggrin:).

Don't know for sure if it' also on the PC the max.

The website says "Xbox360 Also Available on PS3, PC-DVD" So it will be on PC but a port of an Xbox game.. or so it seems by the way they present that. In the trailer they do refer to it as a "computer" game however.. :confused:

In the Monza 3 video it looks like the car is auto driving in the pits... hopefully that can be turned off.

Basically it looks pretty good but I am hoping it can be configured/modded to be close to a sim.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 306 35.6%
  • Porsche

Votes: 328 38.1%
  • BMW

Votes: 314 36.5%
  • McLaren

Votes: 204 23.7%
  • Toyota

Votes: 318 37.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 103 12.0%