Formula One 2050: McLaren Style

As a lifelong Motorsports fan I can't believe so many are stuck in the past

If 30 years ago you were shown a 2019 McLaren you would say the same :laugh:
Just what I wanted to say. Imagine if in 1970 someone showed MP4-23 or FW26. :laugh:
Technology goes forward, we are getting older, love the stuff that we grew up with and that in our opinion is how they should be. Nothing wrong with that, just need to get used to stuff being done differently.

It was already said, but what's shown here is evolution of Formula E, not Formula One...
Look how mad people are over engines not sounding cool enough - F1 is dead once the fuel engines are gone.

What is the point of all these concepts lately (=this decade)?

I don't think they are anywhere close reality, they don't look good, they don't excite me.
McLaren should focus on bringing the team to success again instead of looking that far into the future.
Its the same old "Hey in 2001 we will have flying car, guise!!!".

Yeah, that happened... :D (prototypes of dorky projects dont Count).

I always believed Formula E would replace F1 but Bernie Ecolstone denied it. But hes out of the picture so it will happen. The Formula E series is for tight street circuits like Monaco so we can wave goodbye to the real race tracks. There may even bee a loss of fan base. Though the Younger generation will like it. So the old people will walk away and young people will get on board. :ninja::confused:

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-cars-700.jpg

This is more likely what future racing looks like. You know, after the inevitable nuclear war etc.

Well..... I must admit this doesn't excite me at all... plus the world will have pretty much destroyed itself by 2050 anyway, so we will probably be watching something more akin to this by then:

View attachment 287488
We would of got on Sir Richard Brandsons shuttle to the Mars due to the pollution on earth making it unlivable. Be watching spaceships race around planets. Then we will pollute mars and go destroy another planet. Its Human nature. Its the way the eco hippies want it with there bicycles and green cars that pushed us into Formula E:mad:

This is a scientific fact a Formula one car is not bad for the environment and makes 25% -50% less pollution than a road car of about the same size. Even with a blig block V12 or V10 or V8 engine. T pollution is from the teams transporters moving com centers and computers and equipment to the race. And theirs the food and hospitality services and fans and merchandise related to the sport that is the true carbon footprint.

The problem is car company's are going into electric vehicles and more sustainable fuel as Fuel prices go up and down due to supply and demand. Meaning they can name there price. We still need oil to make Rubber for tires and soles on your shoes you are probably wearing right now. So Formula E is more relevant to testing for the future car market. so it sells. I am 42 so i will be old and senile before it kicks in so i don't care.

As a lifelong Motorsports fan I can't believe so many are stuck in the past

If 30 years ago you were shown a 2019 McLaren you would say the same :laugh:

Actually, we are not. We just remember Blade Runner, Space 1999, The Mid-Engine Corvette, The Vector, the self-driving car, the Auto-boat-airplane, ect...Most of us grew up reading Popular Mechanics and the Golden Age of Science Fiction, and saw the "future"Usually the projections of the future by 'prognisticators' be they in cinema, tv, the auto industry or racing tend to get it wrong and do so in a miserable fashion. The ones who got it right more often than not were not car companies but gentlemen such as Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Dick, Bradbury, Hubbard, Anderson, et-al.

Those that get caught up in "What It Will Look Like!" are generally those who are easily convinced by those who need consumers for their bottom line, and must "predict" the future to get their targets (audience) to become excited and buy their product. They rely on those who use little logic but are led on by a "vision" that they think will be "Neat-O!"

30 years ago I would have seen today's McLaren and understood it would be possible. Why? Still an ICE engine (hybrid), still driven by man, still requiring man to make decisions behind the wheel. Also: 30 years ago we were were experiencing the first effects of the Ground Effects era which radically changed car design, we were on the cusp of Anti-Lock and other electronic aids, and the cars were more futuristic than they appeared even three years prior.

There is prognistication, and then there is pipe dream or LSD influenced hallucinations. This McLaren (and all those who "can see" this future) prediction falls under the latter category.

I think you made my point ;)

2050 belongs to the kids of the future who will know no better
When they watch old races of Lewis and Co. they will laugh at the funny looking, slow old cars
that sound so loud you can't hear anything else you are doing ....on your 8K headsets

They will know no better if there is no one to teach them. They will laugh as much as people like me laugh at videos of Andretti, Foyt, Jones, Fangio, Mears, Villenueve (Gilles), Stewart, Moss, Hill (Graham). Those that will, as you say, laugh, will be those who have no sense of the past and the history. They will not be fans, but dilettantes playing at being race fans because their favorite Influencer told them to attend races.

Lol at "fans" who are triggered by loud noises. Perhaps they should take up a hobby that does not make their bellies hurt, or one in which they do not have to think about how to protect themselves on their own.

Race fans have been watching racing for years using mere foam plugs as hearing protection.

I know F1 is supposed to be at the cutting edge or racing tech but this? I don't think so... not in 50 years and certainly not in 31.
I think we're kind of at the point where the car has been perfected and there's no more we can get out of the technology, without turning the flesh bag driving it into mush. Cars are now at the point that they can drive along fast perfectly fine, it's what happens when something goes wrong that's the problem. The driver won't survive most accidents if they get much faster.

These rollercoaster tracks in cities will never happen because, health and safety. What if a car doing 300kph takes off into the air on one of these elevated roads and crashes into a residential building? No company is going to take on that kind of risk.

Formula 1 isn't a fair sport. Maybe fix that.

So many pessimistic Little Englander types in this thread. Enough of the Mad Max and nuclear war stuff, come on. Is McLaren's rendering "out of the box"? Yes. WAY "out of the box"? Yes. But this is what thought leadership looks like. If you're middle aged now, then motorsport will look very different by the time when you're old, and it's okay. Time marches on and so does the world. You'll still have your beloved combustion GTs and Prototypes in historic racing in one form or another, don't worry.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Standard game content

• No 3pa registration pages