Framerate drops with headlight?

I'm having issues with the headlights. If I set headlights on high or even medium I get fps drops no matter what the other settings are. So even if I set everything to low but keep headlights at high, I get really bad fps drops. I am using gtr2 hq anniversary patch. Any ideas/solutions?

The recommended setting is MEDIUM because there is a 15 years old glitch on HIGH : cockpit is blinking when AI is just behind you.

What is your graphic card ?
Did you enable all cores of your cpu ?

I am nearly closed to release 15.6...well it is ready for upload today but just looked at your post so maybe I can reduce hq headlights resolution ? Do you have this issue with all cars (base+your mods) or only with HQ 2003-2005 ?

Well, I have made tests and reducing headlights textures size doesn't boost framerate a lot and it looks more blurry (meuuuh effect) : from 1024x1024 to 512x512 I have +6 fps so it doesn't worth it.
On the contrary, reducing AI opponents with slider can increase fps much more.

The recommended setting is MEDIUM because there is a 15 years old glitch on HIGH : cockpit is blinking when AI is just behind you.

What is your graphic card ?
Did you enable all cores of your cpu ?

I am nearly closed to release 15.6...well it is ready for upload today but just looked at your post so maybe I can reduce hq headlights resolution ? Do you have this issue with all cars (base+your mods) or only with HQ 2003-2005 ?
Well, I have made tests and reducing headlights textures size doesn't boost framerate a lot and it looks more blurry (meuuuh effect) : from 1024x1024 to 512x512 I have +6 fps so it doesn't worth it.
On the contrary, reducing AI opponents with slider can increase fps much more.
I play gtr2 on my laptop (ryzen 5 3550h and GTX 1650). Yes I think I'll just run it on medium. I tried to reduce the cars but I think on the mod tracks the setting to reduce visible cars does not work causing fps drops. Thank you for everything you have done for this gem of a game. It's absolutely amazing stuff. Also yes I enabled all the cores using bill2's process manager

Last edited:
Your graphic card is powerful enough but are you sure you have selected it for gtr2 ? On some laptops you must go in your video driver and select gpu for each game EXE otherwise the pc won't use gpu.

I hope you're using a software or Crew Chief to enable all cores.
That's the first thing to do if it's not done yet .... in order to get better fps results. ;)

I hope you're using a software or Crew Chief to enable all cores.
That's the first thing to do if it's not done yet .... in order to get better fps results. ;)
All cores will help, but not solve performance of shadows, headlights and rain. Those are single core bound :( that said, latest CC beta plugin allows disabling rain reflections, which makes game always playable in rain

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 164 58.0%