Friendly Development Series

With the up and coming restart of the Friendly Development series.
There has been a rise in the number of cars spotted on our tracks sporting a unique new livery as the pictures from an undisclosed source prove.
Could these be the stars of the future?

RD_FD_cars_07.jpg

RD_FD_cars_06.jpg

RD_FD_cars_04.jpg

RD_FD_cars_03.jpg

RD_FD_cars_02.jpg

RD_FD_cars_01.jpg

From time to time the Friendly Dev will return. About setup. Most cars drive good with default setup. It is all in the drivers mind. Drive fast with the default set first, then fine-tune your driving style with the car setup.

Racedepartment Driving School.

Ok, I have an idea, and want to know what the rest of you guys think.

As some of you might know, I am very close to a certain race staff member, who is pretty fast on the tracks as well. I try to race with him as much as I can, since he helps me a lot in learning and improving. Thats how this idea started. Most times, when we are on a learning session, we choose a track, and start driving. I drive in front, he follows my tail. Using teamspeak, he gives me advise on how to take corners, which lines to follow, when to brake and stuff like that. We also practice defending and stuff like that. I learn a lot from those sessions, so I figured, why not expand this idea.

To do this, there are 2 things that are needed. Drivers who have good experience, and can assist the novice drivers. Also we need novice drivers who are willing to take comments, and learn and improve. So, I have 2 questions.

To the ones who are quick, experienced, and know how to drive a decent race.
Would you be willing to teach your knowledge to the other drivers?

To the ones who are willing to learn.
Would you like the idea of getting tips from an experienced driver who follows your trail, and gives advise?

If there are enough of both catagories, perhaps its a nice idea to put on a training server, and open a specific threat for it, where people can find each other.
F.i. I want to learn something, so I post in the threat that I am going online, and am in search of a mentor. Anyone who can drive properly, can than join to help and assist.

I think this could give a boost to the level for a lot of novice drivers like myself. Besides that, it's just fun :)

Let me know what the thoughts of you guys are on this matter.

Regards,

Marco.

I like were your comming from Marco, And make it a sticky wou so it doesnt get lost, but a place to post if your online now with a D/S and what you have to offer or what you are looking to do ,,( No idlle chit chat )

JUST... Rupe Wilson D/s 20:00 hours- formula ford- Monza07- out braking into corners.... you get the idea....Reply by pm and then i would edit my reply with names,

Count me in Marco but i feel i dont have that much to offer but i like takeing part,

Well Rupe, you might be surprised about that :)

Remember the cat and mouse sessions? The time when I was driving right on your ass protecting our precious mini, had a big learning value. Anticipating on braking (essential for clean racing offcourse) is only learned by doing so. It doesnt matter that the chasing car is faster, it just makes it more easy to close the fallen gaps again.

When 2 people are about as fast, you can always use a combi of slower and quicker car. Just have to decide what it is you want to train or learn. When both decide to practice ass-sticking, it doesn't matter that you hit each other. Thats the point of learning, finding the edges. You can't practice that in real races, since you might destroy the race for someone else.

And thats the whole idea :) Practicing, when allowed to screw up sometimes, without the risk of taking someone out of a important or fun race.

Ok, so there is some interest for it at least.
Like I said before, I think it's both learning, and teaching. That way, the level of the novice racers should be going up pretty fast. I think that would help building confidence as well for us novice boys and girls, which could (I hope it does!) create full grids again :). Would be a nice side effect.

Anyway, I was thinking of the following rules/guidelines which should apply.

Teamspeak is mandatory. Without it, the whole advantage of interaction is gone. Be addressed on taking a wrong line at the second you make the mistake, impressed me more then after a lap with type-chat, or after watching a replay.

Practice specific items. It is not to hard to make a sticky threat with standard training programs. Trailing, outbraking, overtaking, stuff like that. Improvisation is fine as well, but try to pick a red line in the session, and not make it a "fun" 1 on 1 race.

When taking part in these "sessions", it would be nice if those who are being thought stuff, help to teach that same stuff to the other novice or starting drivers.

Respect others who are on the same track, doing the same thing. If 2 groups of 2 people are on 1 track, try to leave the pit when the other group is around half way the track. That way, you don't mess up other trainings.

If RD Staff decides that they think the idea is worth a try, and can set up a server for it, then only licensed members can use the program. Messing around (driving backwards and stuff) can be addressed then as well.

If RD Staff does not supply a server, then perhaps we could get a sticky threat to match trainers and trainees. A lot off people can host their own games as well. So this is also an option.

Besides the fact that it's super fun, it will be so good for the level of the drivers. I am certain there are a lot of people who are no starters in racing, but just at a dead end. AI is not only a bad teacher, but smackes you around like any online wrecker from time to time, and the good racers online, from which you can learn, are gone after the first corner, so there is no learning there as well. To get your skills up at that point is very hard without a teacher. This might be their sollution.

It would be nice to have some of the top drivers willing to help as well....... :)

Ok, I do not know decided to merge my topic with this threat and why, but this is NOT what I ment :)

The whole idea I had is based on a free time for drivers, not free time when some admin (no pun intended) is available. I KNOW how busy the admins are, and setting a time to enter is just what I do NOT want.

Since we are having members from all over the world, and all in different time zones, this makes it just as hard to fit in a schedule as a regular event.
A lot of us are online, and willing to do something out of the scheduled time ranges. Thats when I would like to practice. Also, I would like 1 on 1 sessions, instead of a group of drivers.

So, my question remains. Is it possible to get some kind of sticky threat, where people who are able and willing to drive can meet each other to organize private training sessions?

I mean, don't get me wrong, but this way the idea I had to up my skills, is unreachable for me due to the restricted times. I am sure this goes for more people then just me alone.

Ow, and just to make sure I am not misunderstood, I DO like the idea of this threat. It's just not what I intended with my original post.

Hmm ok.

How many people are interested in this?

And what kind of cars would you like covered? Let me know and the staff will arrange something :)

I'd be very interested so long as it's held at 19:00 GMT on a select few days of the week and the weekend... otherwise I can't make any of the events hosted here.

For what cars I would like. I would pretty much want to stick with RWD but otherwise I'm go for any class.

Hmm ok.

How many people are interested in this?

And what kind of cars would you like covered? Let me know and the staff will arrange something :)
Chris,

In regards to the Friendly Development series, I do not want to change anything there :) It's a nice concept, which I am sure will work for a lot of people. IF it would be on a convienent time for me, I would join as well probably. Keep this idea, and just arrange it like any other event. I am sure that there are a lot of experienced drivers out here who can do the training, so you guys as admins have your hands free for other jobs you have to do here. Just set up the server, and announce it somewhere :)

In regards to the thought I had, I think the answer from staff could be very simple. I think most of the users here are able to organize something for themselves. Only thing is, I KNOW it's not appreciated if we, as members, "advertise" for our own dedi servers on the RD site, which I totally understand. However, it would be very nice if we are allowed to have some kind of meeting point here.

I mean, I can open a topic every time I go online to race, and state the name of the server I am on at that time, inviting people to join me there, but it will be a lot of useless topics which will be opened that way. Just 1 sticky threat could be nice, which could f.i. be cleaned every so many days.

Besides that, It would be nice if we could have a (closed) sticky topic with specific training programs worked out, so people can take a read there as to what they would like to practice. If desired, I can make that topic textwise. I am willing and able to help in any way I can.

The whole reason I started this threat is that I am sure there are a lot of people like me, who are online relativly a lot, but have no where to go to at those times except for the wrecking races online. At the times there IS somewhere to go (during club events or league events), a lot of us are not online (for the whole time), so not able to play with the other members. It would be so nice if we, as a community, could help each other OUTSIDE of the specified time frames from RD, and have some fun on the side. I am sure there are a lot of people whom are able and willing to run a session for 2 cars on a track, so in fact, all that is needed is a meeting point, and perhaps some help on practice ideas.

If you'd like to, I can come to Teamspeak when you (or other staff members) are there as well, so we can brainstorm a bit about it. I think that's more easy then doing it in a threat like this :). Just send me a PM, and we can make some arrangements.

Regards, and thanks for thinking along :)

Hy all,

Soon, the first RDFDS events shall return to RaceDepartment. For all who do not know the concept, an explanation is below.
To make this series as succesfull as the ones before, we need some experienced drivers, which are willing and able to share their knowledge, and help our less experienced drivers to grow.

The concept.
Depending on the number of entry's, we will have 1 or 2 groups of drivers. These groups are led by an experienced driver, the teacher. This teacher is going to show the lines, give tips on braking, and speeding up after the corners. All this to help improve driving skills, and race pace.
Teamspeak is mandatory! The teacher will be speaking on TS, and will be giving out instructions to the students. This is the reason why we will keep the groups limited to a few students per teacher.
The objective of these sessions is to improve laptimes on a specific track, and make it possible for the students to improve their driving.
All driving will be done by rear wheel drived cars. Most of the events hosted on RD are with those kind of cars, so that should offer the best help for us all.
Special skinpacks will be released for the events, depending on which car's will be used. There will be 1 car per session. The same car will not be used for all events, so people can get some experience in several different cars.
There will be different sessions, with different starting levels and required skills so everybody can have a chance at learning.

The track which will be used in the RDFDS, will be used during the weeks after for several events, to make sure that the knowledge gained can be put into practice as well. We shall organize different events, with different cars on the track, so all can have a go with their favorite drive.

The events will be hosted on the sunday's. When there is the need to do so, we can also host the events on other days, but for the moment, we will stick to the sunday. First event will be an sunday evening event. If people would like the second event to be on the sunday morning, let me know. If there is enough interest for that, I can make arrangements.

Anyone who is interested in learning something, is hereby invited to let us know in this threat. The official announcement will be put online soon, including the track and teachers. Keep an eye on the Racing events for that.

Anyone who is willing and able to help in teaching, is hereby invited to send me a Pm, letting me know which specific parts of racing they would like to share with the public. Offcourse, speaking a decent amount of Englisch is needed, since the teaching will be done via TS.

Please remember that, although this is not a race event, all normal rules of RD apply! So, if you sign up, you are expected to show! If you are not able to, please take the courtisy to let us know, and sign out so others have an option!
Further, all students are expected to listen to their teacher, and take this serious. This is NOT a fun event, this is serious learning buisness.

I have high expectations of this series, and sincerely hope that it's taken as serious by it's drivers, as it is taken serious by me. Let's make something out of this people!

Regards,

Marco.

I'm back and what I see? This topic. This community is amazing.:D Obviously, I'm signing up for it. I need to learn a bit and it should be perfect. One question about team speak though. I understand that I need TS for listening to what the 'teacher' says but do I need a mic myself? At the moment I don't have one (and this week I already bought DFGt and plan to buy some Race 07 expansions) but I could imagine that most of the time it would be me listening not talking so that should not be a big problem. Obviously, I would buy the mic within 2-3 weeks.

Do I understand this right?
Is it a championship where the teachers will team up with a student and they will race as a team and the teacher learns the student the track and how to drive it? Or is it just a series of practice events for a learner?

It's a driving school where seasoned veterans give tips and most importantly, correct bad driving styles. All is done live via teamspeak so the feedbacl is instant. I've been in one of these waayy back, Bram was teacher or shall we say, a tutor then and i learned left foot braking in FWD car in that single lesson.. Even thou i was driving with a pad then, the concept was ready when i finally did get a wheel.... I can recommend this with very warm heart, it accelerates learning by tenfolds.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 419 69.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 262 43.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 284 47.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.9%
Back