AC Group C @ Le Mans (24 Hrs) - Friday 08 Dec 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

dbx71

Club Staff
Premium
Welcome to the RD Race Club!
20231124063111_1.jpg
Let's go back in time to the late 80s and early 90s to the glorious era of Group C cars at Le Mans. Jump into your favorite Group C classic and we'll race all day and through the night to see who emerges as the winner of the all time greatest test of endurance for man and machine when day breaks again.

Hope to see you then!

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is essential for clean and respectful driving in our community. You should therefore use tools like Helicorsa or CarRadar and CrewChief. The links for these apps are on the bottom of this post.

DISCORD. It's important that you also join us during the event on Discord for additional information and instructions. Link is below.

Go to https://acsm.racedepartment.com/championship/6c807c67-ac87-448f-81c0-40ae9e1bd362?server=6

using the Emperor account you have been given and register with your steamID.

If you don't have an Emperor account yet, ask for one by posting in this thread (only for premium members).

Server information:

Server: Racedepartment Server 7 Password: standard password, if you don't know that, ask for it in this thread and it will be send in a PM.

• 11:00 PDT | 19:00 UTC | 30 minutes - Official Practice
  • 11:30 PDT | 19:30 UTC | 30 minutes - Qualification
  • 12:00 PDT | 20:00 UTC | 60 minutes - RACE
  • Practice server available during the week. Same password.
Event details:
  • Cars
    • Porsche 962 LT and ST (Kunos)
    • Mazda 787B (Kunos)
    • Mercedes-Benz 1989 C9 LM (Kunos)
    • TBD
  • Track: Le Mans Night (No Chicanes)
  • Pit stop: Mandatory
  • Tyre blankets: Yes
  • Track Road temperature: 30 Celsius
  • Track grip: 100%
  • Track limits: No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please. You will be penalized if you break this rule.
  • Damage: 10%
  • Fuel Consumption: 100%
  • Tyre wear: 100%
Useful Links:
This will be a 24 hour race with time transitions (compressed to 1 hour). Sol / CSP required.

Entry list:

20231124063009_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
Well, looking at the amount of growing performance data from the server, it confirms what we already know: The Mercedes C9 is the much faster Group C car of the bunch (at least in the right hands).

Open to suggestions as to how to close up the gap between these cars to make it more of competitive event. I'd hate to add ballast to the C9, or anything else that would change the handling dynamics of the car(s) in any way...

I'm wondering if turning on the damage, and thereby limiting the use of 100% turbo boost for the entire race would help, or would that just end up impairing everyone's performance...
Love to hear your thoughts on this...

I always think that ballast or any form of bop is difficult to apply.
Some cars suit different people.
Some cars are just plain difficult.
Some cars are inherently unstable.
Some cars braking is problematic.
Some cars traction is problematic.
Some cars all of the above. ( C9 )
Add bop and in the end we all end up in the Porsche short tail.
Or if we add loads of bop , we all end up in the Mazda.
All four cars are so different to one and another.
You bop the driver, but that is difficult in AC, then if you can, you disenchant that driver and he does not turn up.
Bop is really for a big field of similar talented drivers who are reasonably equal and race in the same series frequently, not for a limited field of wildly different abilities racing mainly for fun.

If you want a great sounding fun to drive car, go for the fantastic Mazda.
If you want an easy to drive car that is like a GT3 on steroids go for Porsche short tail.
If you want a difficult car, with V8 sound track, , crap traction, crap brakes, go for the C9.
If you cannot make you mind up, go for the middle of the road, Porsche long tail.

:)

Last edited:
Hi Dominic,
On any other track the difference would be minimized but of course with the Mulsanne straight at it's best, the C9 will always 'stretch it's legs'.

I always wondered why in the Endurance championship (that Brian runs) the Porsche was not included. I'm guessing it's for the same reason, i'ts too quick, but even in that series the Toyota is a quicker car on the straights.

I think the answer will have to come from the drivers, in real life the C9 was dominant in 1989 and to remove the chance of hitting 360+kph seems a shame.

For me, I am undecided on my choice of weapon as yet........ doing a one off quick lap is one thing, hanging onto the C9 for an hour is something else!!:cautious:

Last edited:
I always think that ballast or any form of bop is difficult to apply.
Some cars suit different people.
Some cars are just plain difficult.
Some cars are inherently unstable.
Some cars braking is problematic.
Some cars traction is problematic.
Some cars all of the above. ( C9 )
Add bop and in the end we all end up in the Porsche short tail.
Or if we add loads of bop , we all end up in the Mazda.
All four cars are so different to one and another.
You bop the driver, but that is difficult in AC, then if you can, you disenchant that driver and he does not turn up.
Bop is really for a big field of similar talented drivers who are reasonably equal and race in the same series frequently, not for a limited field of wildly different abilities racing mainly for fun.

If you want a great sounding fun to drive car, go for the fantastic Mazda.
If you want an easy to drive car that is like a GT3 on steroids go for Porsche short tail.
If you want a difficult car, with V8 sound track, , crap traction, crap brakes, go for the C9.
If you cannot make you mind up, go for the middle of the road, Porsche long tail.

:)
Always wise words from Il Maestro. I remember we went through this discussion before, a few months back when we did the Daytona event with the same cars.

I suppose we can settle it the same way we did then, and just let things be and drivers can just pick their favorite car and go for it. I'm not a fan of BOP either... Thanks Ernie.

Hi Dominic,
On any other track the difference would be minimized but of course with the Mulsanne straight at it's best, the C9 will always 'stretch it's legs'.

I always wondered why in the Endurance championship (that Brian runs) the Porsche was not included. I'm guessing it's for the same reason, i'ts too quick, but even in that series the Toyota is a quicker car on the straights.

I think the answer will have to come from the drivers, in real life the C9 was dominant in 1989 and to remove the chance of hitting 360+kph seems a shame.

For me, I am undecided on my choice of weapon as yet........ doing a one off quick lap is one thing, hanging onto the C9 for an hour is something else!!:cautious:
Very true that to drive a beast like the C9 for an hour without incident is completely different than putting in a fast lap.

Ok, you guys have convinced me, let's just leave it alone. Thanks!

I just tried to sign up for this and it's a no go. Says invalid username or password........I don't think so. Need help AGAIN I guess
Hmmmm. That’s strange. One of these days we’re gonna get this working for you without any glitches ;-)
Let me look into it. Maybe @HF2000 can look into your account for us…??

There is no password on the server. you may want to make sure there is one for the race.
thanks for the reminder about that. i was going to leave it open for a few days, to get some traffic on there. maybe i'll just give it another couple of days, then apply the password.
for the race there will definitely be the usual password.

nice lap times BTW!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%