AC GT3 @ Monza - Sunday 23rd August 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
In between holidays. Maybe I'll join without practice with the R8 if there's a slot left. But you can give it away to anyone else if the grid fills up.

SCG is the fastest, gave it a go, really works well here. The Lambo is virtually the same here too.
SCG just wins by a whisker. Fuel economy is its let down. Not sure how well it wears softs. :)

I'm going to have to question the size of your data sample :cautious::p:D. According to RSR Livetiming there is over a second between the Lambo & SCG, in favour of the the former. Interestingly, I noticed that Chris has set almost identical times in the SCG & the 650s, on a track that doesn't, in terms of hotlapping, favour the Mclaren.

The real problem for the SCG is going to be in the race. It generally uses about 30% more fuel than the Lambo/650s, which is compounded by poor brakes. Basically, there is a good chance that the SCG driver is going to get mugged off the start line or under braking @ T1.

In the few years that I've been doing the club races @ RD, I've never seen anyone win @ Monza in the SCG (or anywhere else for that matter). Maybe Chris can be persuaded to change to the SCG :sneaky:. Think of the glory Chris :whistling:.

The reason I've gone for the SCG is that it's fast in a straight line & is fairly stable to drive - which hopefully will counter-balance my unstable PC. Otherwise, my first choice would be the Lambo.

@Chris Down, I've noticed that there are a lot of shadows on the practice server. Apart from looking :poop: in VR, I'm concerned that too many shadows will have an adverse impact on my framerate.

Is there a way of completely disabling the shadows - I don't own Content Manger & the patch is out of date.

@pattikins outside of CM you can not completely disable shadows as far as I am aware of.
Before I upgraded my GPU, I found helpful to lower the smoke and reflection quality.
I dont know your system, but maybe reducing overall quality can help.
DoF and Glare also can be reduced a bit. Switch off Motion Blure and switch to a lower mirror resolution.

Only spent a few laps in the Lambo and SCG, Lambo I know well here. Managed a higher top speed in the SCG, noticed its bad fuel economy, just biased the brakes rearward to compensate so the braking distance was marginally worse than the Lambo, but had to use more corner entry into the braking distance, this became well beyond my ability for multiple laps.
Found the SGC gave a better corner view than the other GT3 cars, this meant I could time my entry and exits better. but in the end went against it for three reasons, braking, fuel economy, unsure about its ability to run softs for a whole race ( i.e. bite me when I don't expect it as tyres wear ).
Undecided about the Lambo, in my hands it can become tail happy if I loose concentration.:(
Bit annoyed that the GT-r did not have more straight line speed, it is a brick though, so for all out top speed hardly surprising, it is still quick though.:thumbsup:
Managed same time in all three but capable of over 3/4 second better in the Lambo, so what you say certainly makes sense to me. But I race for 60min, hopefully, with full fuel tanks so I have aired on the side of caution, hence the GT-r .
Tried the McLaren, defiantly requires more skill than I have in my cupboard.:(
PS, I am quite aware that these are with me driving, put an alien in a car and the nearer you are to a top alien the further away from the above you would be. they could probably easily do low 1-46's on med tyres in a SCG.:unsure:

@pattikins outside of CM you can not completely disable shadows as far as I am aware of.
Before I upgraded my GPU, I found helpful to lower the smoke and reflection quality.
I dont know your system, but maybe reducing overall quality can help.
DoF and Glare also can be reduced a bit. Switch off Motion Blure and switch to a lower mirror resolution.

My gpu isn't the problem, I have a 1080ti. It's more that my cpu/system struggles with large grids, and from what I've read, shadows are more likely to put a strain on my cpu.

Without trying to be bleeding insensitive ,:redface: my 2080 just dawdles along with a full field, online, with AC.
So from an uninformed point of view it makes little sense. So just out of interest what is your processor and memory,
I know this has been bugging you for a long time, so easy solution it is not.
So I am prepared for you to say poog off.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I have a Ryzen 3600X (4.4ghz) with 16gb DDR4 3200mhz memory. I'm aware that the performance of the cpu is heavily influenced by the speed of the memory.

Like your 2080, my gpu hovers around the 40% mark even when I'm getting the desired framerate (90). Obviously, if my framerates drop, in correlation to the number of drivers on the grid, then the workload on the gpu also decreases.

My system works flawlessly with every other game (non-sim) that I own, so I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with my PC. All I can do is turn off (apps etc.) as much as I can in AC.

PS, I am quite aware that these are with me driving, put an alien in a car and the nearer you are to a top alien the further away from the above you would be. they could probably easily do low 1-46's on med tyres in a SCG.:unsure:

If you're anywhere near that time you should change to the SCG. I don't think our resident alien has broke 1.47 with softs, or is it a case that Chris should lose his alien status? :p :laugh: .

Edit:
Is it possible to defrock an :alien:?:laugh:

If you can answer that question, maybe you explain to me a puzzle that I've yet to solve:
Where does one put it with a mermaid? :confused:

Last edited:
Memory speed is similar, cores the same, GPU same ball park. the only difference is my processor runs at 5Ghz. memory at 3700mhz.
Maybe that's enough in AC to tip the balance, I run 5120x1440p , not sure what your VR is and how they compare with my monitor??
but 120fps is do able with a full field online, but I back it off to 110 to keep it constant, I do know that can be dependant on circuit +++
Ran my rift S when I had it very comfortably, cannot talk much about that as I only had it a month ( 80 fps )

I am quickest in the Lambo, the best I have managed is a middle 48, not very competitive in GT3, I rely on peoples mistakes. This is my main reason for my car choice. :redface:
The only time Chris has to worry about me is if I am in a very fast in a straight line bus.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I'm hoping the soon to be released Zen 3 processor addresses some of the issues I've been having. If that fails, I'll be back to Intel.

@Kek700, I always do a bit of reseach for any race that I enter & I noticed that you did pretty well in the March GT3 @ race.
monza.JPG

In the few years that I've been doing the club races @ RD, I've never seen anyone win @ Monza in the SCG (or anywhere else for that matter). Maybe Chris can be persuaded to change to the SCG :sneaky:. Think of the glory Chris :whistling:.

I can't resist a challenge ;-) You're on then, I just changed to the SCG.

Not sure of the shadows, there's a "completely disable shadows" button in CM, but since you say you don't have it, not sure what to recommend.

Great to see you are up for the challenge Chris :thumbsup: I am really curious to see what you can do with the SCG here. When I started Simracing here at RD (without any knowledge about racing in general, the cars, setups, fuel consumption and so on) I did frequently pick the SCG because it felt very stable and beginner friendly. With time moving on, I started to try all the other cars, but never looked back to the SCG. Now I see you guys talking about and immediately feel the need to give it at least a spin in practice :D

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 28 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.2%