AC GT3 @ Monza - Sunday 7th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks @Chris Down for organizing and congrats to the podium :thumbsup:

It was my first race with my new Reverb G2 and yes, VR is a massive improvement over flat-screen racing in terms of judging distances, hitting the apex and all "depth-related" stuff. I could improve my PB by ~0.5 seconds and almost managed to hit my first 1.47 in qualy (missed out by 0.058 :cautious:)

I went for full-immersion, meaning I turned off every app. But that wasn't the best idea. Not knowing who you are racing against and if the other car may be under blue flag could lead to problems.

Had a little spin in the beginning and dropped a few places, ending up behind someone (see, that's why I need driver names :) ) and @Kek700. Managed to get past "someone" and started to chase down Ernie. After Ernie spun it was an uneventful race but I'm happy with P6. (that was a really strong grid yesterday)

PS: Can somebody explain me how to get off the line? I always lose at least one or two places from the starting line :/ Usually I'm at full throttle and when the lights go out, I click into first gear.
I'm also considering using VR, but i've no idea how high-end your setup needs to be. My PC has a i7- 3770 with a msi radeon RX 580 8gb and 8GB of ram. Should that be enough for VR of is it just to low?

Gunnar here, one of the back markers.

This was my first 60min online race and I had so much fun.
It was very impressive to see how much faster and consistent you are.

As a gentleman driver beside all you pros I hope I didn't stressed anyone too bad with my driving behaviours. I should lift the throttle a bit earlier on the straights when being overlapped next time.
I had bad luck a couple of times with other back markers but at the end I made it to the finish line and that's what counts.

It was a great experience. Thank you all!

What a disaster last night was with crashing and technical issues.

Thanks again to whoever last night figured out that the connection to steam was the cause of Content Managers "Race Cancelled" when trying to reconnect after a BSOD!!!

My PC crashed as qualifying was starting, tried to rejoin but couldn't as steam wasn't logged in. I didn't want to ask too much on TS during qualifying as I'm conscious people are concentrating so just sat it out. Once I finally got in my steering wheel didn't work so disconnected and rejoined AGAIN! Finally started from the pits 50 seconds behind the pack and only 50 seconds ahead of Chris, Aki and Enzo!!!!

Still, managed to have a steady race with few mistakes on way too much fuel and finished P18. Great fun as ever. See you all next week!

@640er

you must have had same gearing as me, did not test 1st gear start before race.
Was hooked up pre race and qualifying trying to deal with the extra 8 degrees of temperature on the rear tyre. ( failing )

I have this problem with the Nissan.....

Rev it flat out, hit first gear on as you would normally do, wait 0.5 second
flick it into neutral, then flick it back into 1st.
:)

Last edited:
Gunnar here, one of the back markers.

This was my first 60min online race and I had so much fun.
It was very impressive to see how much faster and consistent you are.

As a gentleman driver beside all you pros I hope I didn't stressed anyone too bad with my driving behaviours. I should lift the throttle a bit earlier on the straights when being overlapped next time.
I had bad luck a couple of times with other back markers but at the end I made it to the finish line and that's what counts.

It was a great experience. Thank you all!
You acted very good on the blue flag! :thumbsup:

I'm also considering using VR, but i've no idea how high-end your setup needs to be. My PC has a i7- 3770 with a msi radeon RX 580 8gb and 8GB of ram. Should that be enough for VR of is it just to low?
Is your cpu the 3770k or without k?

I think you could use vr at half fps. For oculus it's called "asw".
Some people get motion sick from it as it calculates every second frame and they are sometimes a bit off, especially when you move your head swiftly.

However I get motion sick very easily and although having some slight struggle in the stomach when using my rift, it was okay.
And using asw was also okay!
I couldn't get 90 fps on dirt rally or acc so 45 fps with asw was the only way to go. I also tested locking into asw on ac to have a direct a/b comparison.

For me, it was fine.
And I'd think your system could achieve stable 45 fps. With the rift a you only need 40 fps as that's only a 80 hz headset.

I have no clue how good the frame insertion from other headsets is. Maybe create a thread in the other forums?

Is your cpu the 3770k or without k?

I think you could use vr at half fps. For oculus it's called "asw".
Some people get motion sick from it as it calculates every second frame and they are sometimes a bit off, especially when you move your head swiftly.

However I get motion sick very easily and although having some slight struggle in the stomach when using my rift, it was okay.
And using asw was also okay!
I couldn't get 90 fps on dirt rally or acc so 45 fps with asw was the only way to go. I also tested locking into asw on ac to have a direct a/b comparison.

For me, it was fine.
And I'd think your system could achieve stable 45 fps. With the rift a you only need 40 fps as that's only a 80 hz headset.

I have no clue how good the frame insertion from other headsets is. Maybe create a thread in the other forums?
Thanks mate! Did it also work well with a full grid like we have here on the RD races?

First time I've used 0-0 wing on the Lambo. I typically use 1-3, as 1 on the front gives it the pointy handling that I like in the Lambo, but I guess 0-0 works quite well here. Combined it with a really soft rear to get good traction and to keep the wing out of the air at the end of straight. Before the race, I flipped a coin to decide on the strategy, as according to my calculations, the two options were incredibly close (Starting with a full tank on mediums, taking 1L at the stop or what I went for, 2x 50L and 2x softs.) Thanks for the fight @Chris Down and @Aksu !
That was fun indeed!! ;)
Do you have picture 1 second after that? From above :D Just for @Chris Down :roflmao:

Last edited:
Let us know who it was. It's the only was us slower guys can learn. I know I held @Aksu up with a tap in T1 as he was passing @Marko77. Sorry about that, I was driving defensively as I knew mark was going up the inside but didn't realise you were passing mark.
I said in TS "Lewis and Mark watch out!" before main straight... But couldn't say anything more accurate at that time xP
Saw that you two were fighting each other so was hoping that both of you let me pass on main straight so you could keep your own fight fair...

But most important thing is that no one didn't spin so everything is good ;)

Thanks mate! Did it also work well with a full grid like we have here on the RD races?
Only practiced offline...
You should check your fps with 22 ai cars and the replay from yesterday.

Also monitor the graphics card load while doing so, so you'll know if the 580 or your i7 is the bottleneck right now.
(I can recommend openhardwaremonitor, little tool, just run the exe. Then activate the plot and click the checkbox next to gpu load. This will write the load into a graph so you'll not only see some maximum but instead see up to the last 24h if you run the program for that long.
Very useful to check the load during some normal laps and not get the spikes from loading screens or whatever).
Alternatively I could recommend afterburner and activate "write to history", which will also record the fps, cpu loads etc etc.

Simulating the load for the graphics card for vr is kinda easy: amd should have some super resolution setting like Nvidia's DSR.
Activate it and set ac to a resolution with a similar amount of pixels.

Back up your ACOS.ini in documents/ac/cfg!!!
Changing resolution screws up your ac apps layout!!

A bit annoying to test all this but then you'll know if your system would be able to run it.

The big "you need a high end system for vr" comes from the magic true 90 fps and never dipping into asw mode.

But with my gtx 1070 and dirt rally 1, that meant really ugly super low settings (I think there is a bug that drops the vr fps way too early.. Had only 70% load...).
However once I was okay with aws and only 45 fps, I could put everything to maximum and enjoy the beautiful design of dirt rally 1 :)

I said in TS "Lewis and Mark watch out!" before main straight... But couldn't say anything more accurate at that time xP
Saw that you two were fighting each other so was hoping that both of you let me pass on main straight so you could keep your own fight fair...

But most important thing is that no one didn't spin so everything is good ;)

Glad it didn't affect you too much. The whole blue flag thing is so difficult. It's one thing letting a single car past when you're both in clean space but then sometimes you're fighting for position and there's a train of 3 guys you need to let though. Suddenly you can lose 5 seconds in a lap easily which ruins your own race. Also, as in this case, awareness of cars behind the one you're battling with is sometimes difficult when you're so focussed. Us slow guys can also be surprised when a 1.5s gap is closed down in a single corner

All good fun and again, glad you got though without too much bother.

i went to watch the replay of the race and realized that my allocated memory settings were very low. therefore, i dont have a recording of our race. would it be possible to obtain the replay file so that i could watch the replay?

I have the replay if no one posted it yet

Definitely seconding this request
I'm using my clutch pedal, autoclutch assist disabled.
If you don't have a clutch pedal, play around with setting TC to 0 for the start (and then switch it back to 1 after being in 2nd gear) and try if autoclutch on or off works better.

It's also different for each car. With the audi I had glorious starts but I really struggle with the Ferrari...

Also practice starts in hotlap mode. Pitbox surface has less grip and when your tyres are cold, they will also spin more.

You need warm tyres on the racing line!

And then of course there are the dual clutch paddlers (cheaters). I was one of then for a year with my fanatec McLaren rim.
You can set one of the two paddles to a specific clutch value.
After some practice with your car, you'll be able to set the level so that it gives you the perfect wheelspin.
Then you simply let go of one paddle when the lights go out and then slooooowly release the second paddle.

My VR onboard. Really great battles with Enzo and Aki, most of the time with less than a second between next position in either direction :D

Featuring the return of The Most Useless Slipstream Ever™.

I love how you get almost wrecked by the kerb in Ascari (7:40) and while you're lucky to have survived it, rsr livetiming only cares about you cutting the track and moans about it :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 129 35.1%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 103 28.0%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 72 19.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 8 2.2%