AC GT3 @ Nürburgring GP, Sunday 24th January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I cannot explain why but of all the circuits I drive Nurburgring is a real problem.
So much so, when I do the endurance circuit the thing I dread is the race circuit, not the tourist bit.
The poor old Nissan even struggles here too, the 488 and 650S are so much quicker here, I may be quicker in those two , but again struggling to get consistent laps from either, so warts and all have gone for the Nissan, slowish maybe with me driving it, but at least I can be reasonably consistent laps with it. :(
No worries, Ernie. I have the same with this circuit (and BrandsHatch :( ). After Silverstone I thought I finally mastered the 488 (not in speed but in consistency) but a few practice laps on the Nürnburgring blew that to pieces.
I should analyze the characteristics of the tracks where I really struggle and see which improvements I should focus on.

Yes, I tried the 488 here yesterday, certainly quick. if I took 10 laps and picked the best bits of each corner, relative to the 10 laps. it was quick, for me. just could not do it in one lap, certainly not every lap in a 30 race.
I find the circuit disjointed, and the chicane is a real problem, one lap I fly
through it, next lap I am bouncing all over those blobs of concrete, next lap slow, and on and on it goes lap after lap. :(

I suppose we all have our nightmare tracks, funnily brands hatch, I am ok with,
but I can easily see why it would not suit all.

Most circuits i can always go a bit faster, but the risk of an "off" noticeably increases, with this circuit, it is pot luck if I can or cannot go quicker.:unsure:

Hey Chris;
Hate to be a pain, yet that's the nature of my username. I'm going to switch back to the AMG. I did some laps in it the other night and I managed to get it working. I think it's also wise to stick with a single car for the whole "season." (btw does the racing work like that, and eventually start over?)

So please put me down for AMG - racing_74 please.

Hey Chris;
Hate to be a pain, yet that's the nature of my username. I'm going to switch back to the AMG. I did some laps in it the other night and I managed to get it working. I think it's also wise to stick with a single car for the whole "season." (btw does the racing work like that, and eventually start over?)

So please put me down for AMG - racing_74 please.

Hey, all skin requests should go in the other thread. Please feel free to add a new post. I've switched you back though.

No worries, Ernie. I have the same with this circuit (and BrandsHatch :( ). After Silverstone I thought I finally mastered the 488 (not in speed but in consistency) but a few practice laps on the Nürnburgring blew that to pieces.
I should analyze the characteristics of the tracks where I really struggle and see which improvements I should focus on.
Since we'll be driving the same car, maybe you're interested in me having a look at our laps in motec?
I record all laps and have a shortcut that opens acti whenever I start content manager.

Nürburgring is such a difficult track.. Most of the times the quickest line is "somewhere in the middle but also using every last bit of tarmac".
Whatever that means, I hate this track...

But the battles are always fun! Lots of opportunities with gt3 cars!
I see some similarities with brands hatch. For brands that would be T1, T2, T4, T5 and the last one.
Only corners I consistently nail at brands are T3 and the 3x 90° bends in the forest section :p

Since we'll be driving the same car, maybe you're interested in me having a look at our laps in motec?
I record all laps and have a shortcut that opens acti whenever I start content manager.

Nürburgring is such a difficult track.. Most of the times the quickest line is "somewhere in the middle but also using every last bit of tarmac".

I see some similarities with brands hatch. For brands that would be T1, T2, T4, T5 and the last one.
Only corners I consistently nail at brands are T3 and the 3x 90° bends in the forest section :p
Thank you. I would like that. I don't know what Motec really is so what do I have to do so you can have a look?

I hate Brands for two reasons: Mistakes are easy made and instant deadly, like hitting the kerb on the right side when you approach T3. And after that it takes a long time to cool off the tyres while you have to drive very carefully and slow. Second: I'm not able to be consistent in T1,T4,T5 and the last one. Everythime I think that I'm approaching it similar to the previous lap but than I'm obliged to make some corrections (lifting) halfway in the turn to prevent going off.
I have the same problem with the Nürnburgring in T1, T2, T3, T4 and the two 90's before the straight towards the chicane. And of course the chicane itself. The difference between a good lap and a bad lap can easily be 2 seconds for me. And good laps are rare here. It probably has a relation with my driving style with smooth steering. I'm not good at 'throwing' the car in a turn.

Thank you. I would like that. I don't know what Motec really is so what do I have to do so you can have a look?

Just download this and follow the instructions. You don't need to install motec though, I only need the files from the acti exe.
It's pretty simple:
You have one folder with the acti exe and an app for ac in the ac folders.
Only thing you need to do is tell both parts where they are (editing paths in a config file).
Every time you do a complete lap and then go back to pits, the acti exe in the background will store a ld (and maybe a ldx) file.
I need it /both. Very small files!

The in game ac app will show you a green light, if it's working.

You can also store unlimited laps in one file, like when doing a race!

Motec pro is free, the company makes its money with the hardware for real cars and other stuff.
Some awesome people created a converter, which makes ac telemetry be similar to the output of a real car.

Last edited:

I can see T1, T5, T7, maybe T14 or T12 into the chicane. I've done it to the AI. There will need to be patience, and good situational awareness by everyone. Also - exiting the pits people should remain right until they reach the hairpin. I believe that's how they do it in real life - perhaps peeking out left a bit before turning in if the way is clear.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 546 68.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 344 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 363 45.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 183 23.0%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 214 27.0%
Back