AC GT3 @ Nürburgring GP, Sunday 24th January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Sorry about the incident into Turn 1 @pattikins . Had a good run off the line and saw a gap that I could not resist. Placed my car alongside you but the track funnels in. You didnt give me an inch as I was already on the inside but then again after seeing the replay, this is a tricky run into Turn 1. I guess I should have let off since the track comes to an end. In hindsight if I knew this specific detail about the run into T1 I could have avoided going onto the grass and ultimately locking up and colliding into you. Thankfully you didnt lose control nor your position.

I waited for the whole grid to go by and rejoined. Great battle throughout the field. Had an absolute mare in the pits as well, I was following someone in the pits and I was comfortable in the thought that my pitbox was towards the far end of the pits only to realise its changed (i guess after quali). So i had to reverse back and look like an absolute tart trying to get in the red box.

Also, just remembered, I bumped into @GeekyDeaks very early on in the race, might have even been lap 1 or something. Sorry bud! GOod racing everyone and a special congrats to @Chris Down for a blistering pole lap and the win.

Nurburgring T1.png

Also, just remembered, I bumped into @GeekyDeaks very early on in the race, might have even been lap 1 or something. Sorry bud!
Ah, it was fine. Looking at the replay I can see I started to come back into the middle of the track. It caught me out as you closed the gap really fast otherwise I would have stuck closer to the outside. I think the battle in front meant I had to back off quite a bit, which triggered the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Upon review, my frustration has only increased. Having viewed both perspectives I believe my T3 incident could have been avoided. Continuing to accelerate into a corner while the two in front are actively braking was either a miscalculation or .... :thumbsdown: Real shame. If I'm in the wrong headspace about this, please, let me know as I can use it as a learning opportunity and take that knowledge into next week.

On to other things, when playing it through CM it is shown as if the race was at night. Any idea how to change this?

Last edited:
Having viewed both perspectives I believe my T3 incident could have been avoided. Continuing to accelerate into a corner while the two in front are actively braking was either a miscalculation or .... :thumbsdown: Real shame. If I'm in the wrong headspace about this, please, let me know as I can use it as a learning opportunity and take that knowledge into next week.
Personally, I think you didn't do anything wrong and someone should have waited.... Kudos for just getting on with it

On to other things, when playing it through CM it is shown as if the race was at night. Any idea how to change this?
Not sure exactly what causes this. There seems to be an issue with the way the time of day is handled across timezones. If you are running Sol, you should have an app running that allows you to change the time of day during a replay

Some of your cornering speeds, and manouveres just don't seem possible man :unsure:

Don't feel too down :) I used to also be really confused when looking at leader's onboards years ago, and the truth is that it just takes a lot of practice. There are no shortcuts: you'll get there if you have the will to eventually.

Which corners are you thinking of particularly? Happy to give some tips or advice. If you post an onboard of a lap I'm also happy to review it.

All that said, we've seen plenty of people improve a lot in RD club: hell, I didn't win frequently at the beginning either. Here's a long post on that subject the last time it came up:

(Warning: this is a long advice post :) -- tl;dr: "aliens" weren't always aliens)

Hah, you folks should have seen my frustration after 2nd at Donington :roflmao::coffee: Competition is all relative to your own current ability. If I feel I just wasn't good enough to win, that's fine. What really frustrates me is when I feel I was good enough, but simply messed it up with a stupid (or multiple...) mistakes. If you're anything like that, the first thing to work on to improve your morale is your consistency, not your race pace.

I used to be right at the back in my early days sim racing -- I still remember being always at the back and honestly having no idea how others were able to go so fast. The truth is there's no secret, it's just the culmination of slowly realising the places you aren't extracting the most out of the car and ironing them out, one by one. That requires sticking with the car, the sim, and the practice until you've got it.

My sim racing career looks like this -- hopefully it helps newer racers understand why it's not reasonable to compare yourself yet to so-called "aliens" until you've had more time :)
  • Early 2011-2012: Public racer in Live for Speed. I started off right at the back of the field and worked until I was pretty close to the front in leagues.
  • 2012-2013: VIER eSports driver (also Live for Speed). Spent a lot of time in the nimble FOX formula car.
  • 2013: Moved to Malaysia for work and sold my wheel/etc.
  • 2013-2017: I wasn't sim racing.
  • Late 2017: Started doing public racing in AC.
  • May 2018: My first race at RD. You can really see how ragged my racecraft is, I'm way overdriving the car. I learned that the skill ceiling for AC was higher than I anticipated and that I need more practice.
  • July 2018: My first win at RD, and it was a lucky one (Aki got spun around in 2nd). So even going from "ok, but not great" to "can win with some luck" took me three months.
  • Mid-2019: This is probably the point where I started consistently winning races at RD and elsewhere.
There's so many aspects to learn, and at least for me, it took me maybe a year to go from "bad" to "pretty good", and several more to go from "pretty good" to being good enough to get people inflating my ego by calling me an alien. ;)

If you just came here it might be shocking to realise that some people can go that quickly in the car, but you've got to also realise that those people have maybe several years more experience, and you can get there too by putting the time in. We've seen it time and time again at RD, there are plenty of people at the front who weren't there at the beginning.

My top tips from looking at your replay would be to use more of the track, try to be less (yes, less!) smooth with your inputs, and focus purely on consistency over pace.

Last edited:
Don't feel too down :) I used to also be really confused when looking at leader's onboards years ago, and the truth is that it just takes a lot of practice. There are no shortcuts: you'll get there if you have the will to eventually.

Which corners are you thinking of particularly? Happy to give some tips or advice. If you post an onboard of a lap I'm also happy to review it.

All that said, we've seen plenty of people improve a lot in RD club: hell, I didn't win frequently at the beginning either. Here's a long post on that subject the last time it came up:
I will post an onboard when I find one for you to review. I'm also curious to see your car setup. even though you drive something else, there's still something to learn. As for the race: i just psyched myself out of racing today. Anyway maybe next time

Someone still got the race results cause it seems opening a replay overwrites it :(
Are you using content manager?
You can go to "results" at the top right navigation bar and then click on "view in explorer".
CM stores all results in the cm folder in your appdata.

Not at the pc at the moment but if nobody posts it until in about 4 hours, I can upload mine :)

Absolutely fantastic! My favourite race on RD and probably favourite sim race full stop. The mid pack was incredibly close and having escaped the early incidents I found myself placed 12th. Quicker guys nipped through here and there but I had a blast defending and keeping my cool for the most part.

Apologies to @maxilogan for a hot entry into T10, thought I'd kept it clean up understeered into you and saw that you dropped right back so carried on. Really sorry as I was thoroughly enjoying the battle!

Slightly gutted that missing my pit box and having to reverse meant @GeekyDeaks was ahead after the pits but fun peddling to try and catch up. Just don't quite have the pace to keep with you.

Great racing with @Fiberoptix, @maxilogan, @Gangsta710, @Interslice and more. I hope all the encounters were mostly fair!

See you all next week.

No worries mate. It was my first race and I am used to much harder (and less cleaner) lobby battles. I really enjoyed the race and the midfield battle until I had to stop and (as I am used to auto pit in PC2 and F1 2020) I completely missed my box (the very first one) and had to reverse gear and reach the right position :O_o:
My apologies to - I think - @Fiberoptix, who was chasing me just a lap before the pit (around mid-race), I saw he spun just behind me in T4, I saw the replay and can't tell if he was forces out by me being too slow..
Nice battle also with @Stefano La Commare for a few laps, and yes, @doof205 it was really fun!
Such a rewarding race if I think of the public lobbies in PC2 and F1..

Shame that with just a couple of laps to go, my poor connection decided to give up, and in T3 I saw 3 cars battling all going straight through the grass. I though there was something strange and in fact..
How is it that if I try to switch to my car in the replay posted by @GeekyDeaks I can't see nothing? just a grey-ish screen or seeing the circuit from below?

@Goblin616

The frustration, and I know this from other disciplines, is not knowing what to practice. The whole 10,000 hours things only works if its good practice. Simply doing something a LOT will yield results, up to a point, but after that, the improvements can plateau and then the frustration really kicks in.

At that point, guidance from others is required to identify bad habits (ie. you're practicing like crazy to do the thing you shouldnt be doing in the first place, like trying to nail an apex too early when that corner should be a late apex etc.).

I'm not a racing god (yet and probably never will be), but I found the following has helped me so far:
  • Trying different turn in points, sometimes things that feel slow are actually quicker, like late apexing and getting a better drive down a long straight
  • Brake earlier, get the car settled and get better grip through and out of the corner
  • Use the delta overlay. I put my on in direct view during practice, this will give you immediate feedback on what yields better times and what doesn't
  • Look at videos of others, or watch them live in practice sessions, you might have your lines completely wrong
  • Braking more smoothly has helped my consistency, i had no idea how much i was upsetting the car going in to a corner, I now brake later and with less force and I still seem to make it round corners ok!
  • If you dont already, learn to trail brake, I'm still learning but it explains why others seem to get the car to rotate and turn in better.

I tend to practice first, get a baseline, decide, "that's as fast as I think i can go", then watch others, try some different lines and then find I can gain 2-3 seconds! The above got me from being lapped several times in the first race and being a long way off the pace, to being a competitive mid-field runner in 2-3 races (this race excluded as I was having problems with heat on the fronts which kept me 2 secs off my practice averages).

Maybe some of the slower guys (and i obviously still count myself in that group), should get together for a midweek session, jump on Teamspeak and share comments on each others laps and help each other take it to the more experienced guys!?

Last edited:
My VR onboard. T1 for jump scare. ;)

I am not an AC connoisseur, but I couldn't find those "Global" and "Realtime" apps, mind to give me a hint about what they are and if they are native apps or downloaded ones?
On the other hand, I tried TS and had it running in background, and could barely hear some sound but no conversations that I was clearly understand. I now tinkered with the in-app volumes but can anybody confirm me that there was some conversation going on like we hear sometime in Chris' video?

BTW it wasn't me in the Lambo @30.20, did I hear right you were saying "so sorry"? You lapped me when I was pitting ;)

No worries mate. It was my first race and I am used to much harder (and less cleaner) lobby battles. I really enjoyed the race and the midfield battle until I had to stop and (as I am used to auto pit in PC2 and F1 2020) I completely missed my box (the very first one) and had to reverse gear and reach the right position :O_o:
My apologies to - I think - @Fiberoptix, who was chasing me just a lap before the pit (around mid-race), I saw he spun just behind me in T4, I saw the replay and can't tell if he was forces out by me being too slow..
Nice battle also with @Stefano La Commare for a few laps, and yes, @doof205 it was really fun!
Such a rewarding race if I think of the public lobbies in PC2 and F1..

Shame that with just a couple of laps to go, my poor connection decided to give up, and in T3 I saw 3 cars battling all going straight through the grass. I though there was something strange and in fact..
How is it that if I try to switch to my car in the replay posted by @GeekyDeaks I can't see nothing? just a grey-ish screen or seeing the circuit from below?

@maxilogan wasn't your fault. I think I tried to put the power down to early to get a run on the inside and spun myself out :(. My races still have a incidents like this, was a total in 3 times I went off. My biggest loss was when I nudged @Stefano La Commare at turn 7 on lap 23. In the replay I see you tap @UHF79 who slides in front of you slowing you down. I then nudge lightly into you due to the loss of speed and you spun off. I didn't know at the time if it was my fault, figured it might have been so pulled over and waited for you to come past driving slowly through whole schumacher S on the grass before you and others over took me.

Last edited:
Maybe some of the slower guys (and i obviously still count myself in that group), should get together for a midweek session, jump on Teamspeak and share comments on each others laps and help each other take it to the more experienced guys!?

I would be up for that. I can relate to some of your points about lines and corners etc.. I have gone wide a few times or slid a bit and then seen a -0.2sec delta appear from what I thought was a mistake. :)

Last edited:
I just loaded it up and I can see you as car 28. It has you right up until the disconnect near the end. Can you double check that car number on your end?

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 19 33.9%