AC GT3 @ Silverstone - Sunday 17th January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hi,
The alcantara is really nice. The thickness of the wheel is not really real life (3-4cm), but that's a good thing because you can reach the paddles easier and the fact that you can mount the paddles in 2 position is also a plus. The structure is plenty rigid, with no flex, and being 32cm you have enough leverage to turn the wheel and feel comfortable with the position of your hands.

The rev LED's are nice enough, but you need Fanaled or Sim... something to run them. You need to fiddle with settings, because they don't always match the LEDs in-game.

As not so good things, the buttons are a little disappointing for me, they feel too tooyish, plastiki when you press them. They don't have any click when you press it, it's just press, feel some resistance and they work, but I would have wanted a more pronounced click. That my opinion thou. It's a thing of taste, you might like the way they are pressed. I am the guy who wanted a mechanical keyboard with clicky cherry mx brown. So if you want all your things silent, you will actually be fine.

The rotaries have a nice push, that I would have liked to see to all buttons, but when you rotate them they feel a little imprecise. The feeling is good, but sometimes you don't know if you went 1 or 2 steps. It's always 1 step, that's good, but the feedback receive from feeling the rotary roll gets you the impression that sometimes you went 2 steps.
They rotate 360 with no limitation. Also, it doesn't matter where the starting position is, it's the same button pressed. So it's not a potentimeter rotary, where you rotate more you get more, but every time you rotate to one direction, you get the same button pressed over and over and over again. There are like 12 steps.

Also, I've said that it's sturdy enough, and it is, but sometimes you feel the plastic covers stretch and contort, which is not very pleasant. That's something I've never heard with g29, maybe because the motors where a lot louder. Still, thinking in a turn that the wheel might break it's something you need to adjust you brain to ignore.

One last thing, some buttons in advance mode are duplicates. Don't know why, but the yellow one from the low right is the same with pressing the white controller from top left (where it's written radio).

Overall it's good, but because i don't like the feeling of the buttons, it's partially disappointing to me.

All the thrustmaster wheels have the c same lack of feel on their buttons? And why no reviewer talks about that ...

Thanks for the write-up! This was a better review than I've read or watched on the subject. :thumbsup:

I'm like you and have a clicky, mechanical keyboard so it's nice to know about the soft buttons. The stretching of the plastic cover gives me pause but with the mass production of these items, it doesn't surprise me.

Shame the LEDs are fiddly but given my setup it's a non-issue. However, considering the price of these things one would not want to fiddle.

Unfortunately, I'm still undecided on a new wheel but at least I have a better and wider view of what I'm shopping for. :D

Sorry, I won't make it for the race.. Best mate had a big fight with his gf so there goes my evening :rolleyes::whistling:
Wish you all a good race and I'd love a results link!
yeah i'm sorry, i just a bit anxious before the first race here that's all. maybe it's just me nerves.
Hehe that's nice! Mostly it's the new ones who have been racing a lot against the ai or on public servers, then join us here and have some issues being careful into the first corner etc.

Most adjust after 1-2 races :p

Great race everyone! That was a good one, two very different stints -- went as fast as I could for the first stint just to escape from people behind, which worked well, and did pure tyre management for the second since I didn't want to catch up to @ABru. Having my tyres red at the end of stint 1 was definitely interesting... with a couple of near-death moments.

Quali was pretty nice, almost my PB, so pretty happy about that. Here's the stats: https://simresults.net/210117-Rk4

Congrats to @ABru and @HF2000 on the podium! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great race everyone! That was a good one, two very different stints -- went as fast as I could for the first stint just to escape from people behind, and did pure tyre management for the second since I didn't want to catch up to @ABru. Having my tyres red at the end of stint 1 was definitely interesting :p

Quali was pretty nice, almost my PB, so happy about that. Here's the stats: https://simresults.net/210117-Rk4

Nice podiums @ABru and @Raresch!
Great race, tried my best but didn’t have the pace. Think double stinting the mediums was faster for the Z4 round there, the front left would be red on the softs by the 3rd lap!

Scott, did you let me past in the end? I was celebrating so much that i went very wide at the next corner and spun after 20mins attached to your gearbox!!!
Well, I messed up the exit, so I figured you'd be right beside me anyway and since you were quicker I might get to work out where I was losing time a bit better. Nice close racing though, really enjoyed it!

Only had one real moment near the end when my tyres had gone off and I lost the backend, but managed to prevent a spin. Still lost a load of time and two places. If I had not have done that I think I could have chalked this one up as another race where I didn't get lapped, but as it was, @Chris Down let @SOLO59 and I continue racing on the final lap. I suspect Dean had already slowed down though.

Had a hectic last lap. I think @Ulfhedinn was having to fuel save and then actually ran out on the final corner so @Stefano La Commare got the jump on both of us! :D

Had some really close and fair racing all around. Thanks so much for organising @Chris Down :thumbsup:

I really just take the first corner carefully, I have never hit anyone in the first corner, In all my hundreds and hundreds of races, my race was totally buggered.
He went for an absolutely impossible corner, not that, it was someone who should have known better, he is a very competent driver, he had already got three places before the first corner, did he then feel lucky and try the impossible, and it was totally impossible.
Is it any point in Chris @Chris Down going through all that talk when someone who should have known better totally disregards it all?

It is really very simple don't overtake in the first corner, I don't care how much faster I maybe, its club racing, the person in front deserves the respect of his
position, if you want to be in front of someone, qualify faster.

Two races SPA now Silverstone totally buggered by pointless moves.

I have never been this annoyed before.

Well, I messed up the exit, so I figured you'd be right beside me anyway and since you were quicker I might get to work out where I was losing time a bit better. Nice close racing though, really enjoyed it!

Only had one real moment near the end when my tyres had gone off and I lost the backend, but managed to prevent a spin. Still lost a load of time and two places. If I had not have done that I think I could have chalked this one up as another race where I didn't get lapped, but as it was, @Chris Down let @SOLO59 and I continue racing on the final lap. I suspect Dean had already slowed down though.

Had a hectic last lap. I think @Ulfhedinn was having to fuel save and then actually ran out on the final corner so @Stefano La Commare got the jump on both of us! :D

Had some really close and fair racing all around. Thanks so much for organising @Chris Down :thumbsup:

That was indeed an unexpected freebie :)

Great race, tanks for the fun, and thanks @Chris Down as always for organizing!

Cheers.

Great race as always, everybody. :)

Absolute carnage on lap 1 and decided to take a very conservative approach. Easy does 'er. :coffee: Paid off in the end as I placed higher than in quali. However, a bit more aggression may have placed me higher...eh next week.

Sorry @JamKart22 for the contact on the way out of Aintree. Took the inside and I should have lifted to keep it cleaner. It was also unfortunate that we were blue flagged as I was looking forward to another battle with you.

Thanks again, @Kek700 and @pattikins for the advice on the SCG. The time and effort were worth it and it made my Sunday that much more enjoyable.

Cheers gents and see you next week! :cool:

-----------

Thanks for this always like to see the consistency percentage. Would you mind sharing the onboard from your 1.59 lap? :D

Last edited:
Nice race. Went in with the premise I just wanted to enjoy a nice evening with no drama, I think I achieved that. Maybe P6 is a bit high considering how slow I really was in the race (I was 15th in the fastest sector 3 list...), some crashes and missing people definitely inflated the result. Really pleased with blue flag discipline, and nice to see several battles down the order.

In hindsight, I could have exploited that P5 in qualifying by going Softs + Softs - instead, I started on a full tank and double stinted mediums. Tires lasted really well but I think the strategy flexibility of the full tank wasn't worth the extra weight at the start, my race pace was at least 0.5 seconds slower than I thought it would be. Bottom line: a supremely conservative race :ninja:

Congratulations @Chris Down @ABru and @HF2000 !

See you (probably) two weeks from now, I'm going to skip next week for sure - Chris, please pick something super difficult like Oulton Park, so that we get something easy the week after :whistling:

Last edited:
I think this was the first race in almost two years with online racing in which I didn't make a mistake! Very, very happy with this after last week at Brands. And to be rewarded with the podium makes it even better. I wish I could kiss my Ferrari, finally I had a feeling that this car did what i wanted it to do.

Thanks @Chris Down for organising and all of you for joining.
Also compliment for the new guys: as far as I could see you did very well!.
@ABru : impressive race pace with the Z4!

Last edited:
I really just take the first corner carefully, I have never hit anyone in the first corner, In all my hundreds and hundreds of races, my race was totally buggered.
He went for an absolutely impossible corner, not that, it was someone who should have known better, he is a very competent driver, he had already got three places before the first corner, did he then feel lucky and try the impossible, and it was totally impossible.
Is it any point in Chris @Chris Down going through all that talk when someone who should have known better totally disregards it all?

It is really very simple don't overtake in the first corner, I don't care how much faster I maybe, its club racing, the person in front deserves the respect of his
position, if you want to be in front of someone, qualify faster.

Two races SPA now Silverstone totally buggered by pointless moves.

I have never been this annoyed before.

Sorry to hear that mate, can you PM me the details and I'll take a look?

Great race as always, everybody. :)

Absolute carnage on lap 1 and decided to take a very conservative approach. Easy does 'er. :coffee: Paid off in the end as I placed higher than in quali. However, a bit more aggression may have placed me higher...eh next week.

Sorry @JamKart22 for the contact on the way out of Aintree. Took the inside and I should have lifted to keep it cleaner. It was also unfortunate that we were blue flagged as I was looking forward to another battle with you.

Thanks again, @Kek700 and @pattikins for the advice on the SCG. The time and effort were worth it and it made my Sunday that much more enjoyable.

Cheers gents and see you next week! :cool:

-----------

Thanks for this always like to see the consistency percentage. Would you mind sharing the onboard from your 1.59 lap? :D

No problem about the nudge, I was just trying to keep out of everyone's way in my first every race.

Finished higher than I qualified and no spins - so that will do me.

I need a lie down now!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 4 1.6%