GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Thanks! I got it working, at least partially.

The problem now is that the 2D display spills into my 2nd monitor (no borderless window, apparently), which means in VR I cannot access the bottom part of my VR display.

I did set graphicsForceBorderlessWindow =1 in crewchief.ini.

I had this problem with vanilla GTR2. Changing that line fixed it.

I have run GTR config multiple times to set screen and clicked windowed.

Edit: Seems that if I choose a different resolution in windowed mode and start in VR all works well. Using my monitor resolution didn't work, as I had only partial access to the VR screen.

Mouse in VR acts funny at times but it appears to be working.

Thanks for the assistance on the Anniversary patch settings!
Alan,
I am curious about your issues with mouse. You did the right thing - forcing borderless should fill in your screen and you should have window on top and mouse clipped to window, that's what this mode is for - VR mouse clipping and perfect SimHub overlays in 2D. Of course, this requires GTR2 in Windowed too. This works on Pimax and Index headsets here, so I suspect something is different on your side, and just want to know what it is for the future.

* What HMD is this?
* What is the screen resolution?
* Did you try setting:
1639841506334.png

On GTR2.exe?
* What is your GPU?
* Are you using DSR?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alan,
I am curious about your issues with mouse. You did the right thing - forcing borderless should fill in your screen and you should have window on top and mouse clipped to window, that's what this mode is for - VR mouse clipping and perfect SimHub overlays in 2D. Of course, this requires GTR2 in Windowed too. This works on Pimax and Index headsets here, so I suspect something is different on your side, and just want to know what it is for the future.

* What HMD is this?
* What is the screen resolution?
* Did you try setting:
View attachment 525863
On GTR2.exe?
* What is your GPU?
* Are you using DSR?

Thanks!

Hello!

I looked at the mouse thing again. It turns out to be nothing, actually.

HMD is the Quest 2.
Screen resolution on monitor is 3840x2160.
This is running with P&G on a separate install.
GPU is a RTX 2080.
My Oculus settings look like this,

render.png

Vanilla GTR2 worked fine, with graphicsForceBorderlessWindow = 1, and windowed mode selected in GTR Config and 3840x2160.

Once I installed P&G and ran the GTR.EXE file (as suggested), the borderless thing did not work on 3840x2160, and I was only able to access part of the VR and computer display, making it impossible to exit the program and do other things.

I then set screen resolution to 800x600 (eventually) and clicked windowed in the GTR config file. This did not work, either.

The only way I got it to work was to set graphicsForceBorderlessWindow = 0 in ini file.

The mouse weirdness, on a second look, turned out to be rather harmless. I needed to have my pointer inside the window on my monitor in order to see it and make selections in VR. If my pointer was outside the window on the monitor, I couldn't see the pointer.

Not much of a big deal,

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello!

I looked at the mouse thing again. It turns out to be nothing, actually.

HMD is the Quest 2.
Screen resolution on monitor is 3840x2160.
This is running with P&G on a separate install.
GPU is a RTX 2080.
My Oculus settings look like this,

View attachment 525928

Vanilla GTR2 worked fine, with graphicsForceBorderlessWindow = 1, and windowed mode selected in GTR Config and 3840x2160.

Once I installed P&G and ran the GTR.EXE file (as suggested), the borderless thing did not work on 3840x2160, and I was only able to access part of the VR and computer display, making it impossible to exit the program and do other things.

I then set screen resolution to 800x600 (eventually) and clicked windowed in the GTR config file. This did not work, either.

The only way I got it to work was to set graphicsForceBorderlessWindow = 0 in ini file.

The mouse weirdness, on a second look, turned out to be rather harmless. I needed to have my pointer inside the window on my monitor in order to see it and make selections in VR. If my pointer was outside the window on the monitor, I couldn't see the pointer.

Not much of a big deal,

Thanks!
Are you saying that before png install borderless worked correctly?

If that is the case there's a quick thing you can try - rename your whole P&G install folder with CC binaries configured to some other name (say "P&G2") and retry from there.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a steam copy of gtr2. Made a copy in root of disk D:gtr2.
I have the anniversary patch (read the readme for install) and ran the command file. It will not install.
Do I have to install in root gtr2 or in map game data.
Please help me out.
Greetings Ouwe Reus

----------------------------------------------
| HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH |
----------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :
-----------
- NEW CLEAN GTR2 INSTALL FROM DVD or STEAM + GTR2 HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH (PART1+PART2) ARE FULLY WORKING ON WINDOWS XP/VISTA/7/8/10/11 !!!

- DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 / NOCD GTR2.EXE / 4GB PATCH BECAUSE YOU WILL BREAK GTR2 SETUP !!!

First you will need to install :
--------------------------------
- 7zip archiver to create/open archives : https://www.7-zip.org

Included in GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch : GTR2_SETUP.CMD will install them automatically if required*
- Microsoft DirectX 9c June 2010
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2010 sp1 with MFC security update
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2015-2019

(*) a POP PUP will be prompted if install is required : you just need to click YES to allow install program in this case.

-------------------------------------------
| 1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY |
-------------------------------------------
- insert GTR2 DISC

- choose any language

- install GTR2 directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- DO NOT SET 3D CONFIG : UNTICK 3D CONFIG BOX at the end of install !!!

- DO NOT RUN GTR2 YET !!!

- REMOVE GTR2 DISC and go to 2)

--------------------------------------------
| 1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY |
--------------------------------------------
- Buy and install GTR2 from STEAM

- NEVER MODIFY ORIGINAL GTR2 STEAM INSTALL, KEEP IT ALWAYS CLEAN!!!

- Copy or make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GTR2 folder from STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

- Copy or extract your clean GTR2 archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- go to 2)

----------------------
| 2) GTR2 INSTALL |
----------------------
- download and install GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH part-1 (click YES to overwrite ALL files/folders and check "APPLY TO ALL") : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-1.21415/

- download GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH part-2 and extract all files at same place : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-2.32658/

- you can also add HQ 2005 FiaGT season : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-2005-fiagt-mod.32765/

- right click on GTR2CONFIG.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box

- ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE CrewChief plugin : right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box

- use RadeonMod or Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\f-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF (NVIDIA ONLY: set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace/override application setting" for AA mode, you can also enable DSRX4).

Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.EXE (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with recent nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate (HIGHER FPS = BETTER FFB), moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE CrewChief plugin : install Bill's process manager or Bitsum Process Lasso, and set GTR2.EXE "CPU AFFINITY" to use at least 2 cores of your CPU. You can also do it manually each time after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose HUD
>> page V choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" then "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> set other options as you like or skip them with S key

- ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE CrewChief plugin : right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

---------------------------------------
| 3) Power & Glory 3 (PnG3) INSTALL |
---------------------------------------
note: since I have made the GTR2_SETUP.CMD the install order GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 or GTR2>>PnG3>>HQ PATCH is no more important. Indeed SETUP allows you to install GTR2 or PnG3 UI and other options afterward so you will have the same content in the end. The only small issue if you do GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 is that PnG3 installer will detect modified files from HQ Patch but that's not a problem, just ignore these messages.

- follow STEP 1a) or 1b), then 2) to create a clean GTR2 install in D:\PnG3 by example

- you must run GTR2 at least once before installing PnG3 MOD

- download and install PnG3 mod : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.21450/

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose #9 HUD PnG3 Anniversary
>> page V choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" and "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> page XI choose UI PnG3 (adds driving school line in menu plus many tweaks in garage)
>> page XIV you can type #1 to remove safely all modern GTR2 cars which are not required for PnG3 mod
>> page XV choose #1 OR #2 PnG3 HQ Anniversary if you want moving wipers and important fixes
>> page XXX choose #4 PnG3 Driving School cars

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE safely

--------------------------------------
| 4) CrewChief plugin (CC) INSTALL |
--------------------------------------
- visit thecrewchief.org to download CC app called "CrewChiefV4.msi"
- install CrewChiefV4.msi in DEFAULT PATH (DO NOT CHANGE IT!)
- run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
>> page V you MUST set #2 GTR2 DIGITAL EXE
>> page VI select either #4 to copy CC files in your GTR2 without openvr_api.dll, or #5 if you want to use openvr_api.dll
>> page VII you MUST update FOV
>> page VIII you MUST update PLR
>> page XVI you can enable specific wiper animation for CrewChief
Now you can exit setup with "X" key

- check that GTR2.EXE has ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS DISABLED (right mouse click on GTR2.EXE, PROPERTY, COMPATIBILITY TAB)
- check that GTR2config.EXE has ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS ENABLED (right mouse click on GTR2.EXE, PROPERTY, COMPATIBILITY TAB)
- now your GTR2/PnG3 install is READY FOR CREWCHIEF

---------------
| UNINSTALL |
---------------
Just delete folder D:\GTR2HQ or D:\PnG3

Last edited:
that will depend on free space on your disk drive.
I would suggest you to make as many separate installs as you can because some mods are incompatible with others and you will experience bugs or crashs.
By example :
d:\GTR2HQ for hq patch only
d:\PNG3 for power & glory mod only
d:\GTR2eSR for all esport-racing mods
d:\GTR2EEC for EuropeanEnduranceCenter MODS
d:\GTR2lemans for absolute le mans mod
etc...

that will depend on free space on your disk drive.
I would suggest you to make as many separate installs as you can because some mods are incompatible with others and you will experience bugs or crashs.
By example :
d:\GTR2HQ for hq patch only
d:\PNG3 for power & glory mod only
d:\GTR2eSR for all esport-racing mods
d:\GTR2EEC for EuropeanEnduranceCenter MODS
d:\GTR2lemans for absolute le mans mod
etc...
Thanks man,

Will go for seperate installs.

Hello GTR233,

VR is working, I have copied the files from CC in the root GTR2.
When i start the session in VR with CC manual enabled, i am in VR but also see CC program and WMR enabled in middle of screen before display 1(VRscreen).
When i enable Steam VR en WMR and start GTR2 without CC vr experience is OK but no talking of CC. In this situation the logo of CC comes up for a second and than GTR 2 starts.

Do you have a solution for this problem?

Otherwise I play without CC.

Hello GTR233,

VR is working, I have copied the files from CC in the root GTR2.
When i start the session in VR with CC manual enabled, i am in VR but also see CC program and WMR enabled in middle of screen before display 1(VRscreen).
When i enable Steam VR en WMR and start GTR2 without CC vr experience is OK but no talking of CC. In this situation the logo of CC comes up for a second and than GTR 2 starts.

Do you have a solution for this problem?

Otherwise I play without CC.
In gtr2 setup I wrote advices at each page and especially seat position in cockpit : hold left mouse button then move mouse up/down to adjust height of seat, then do the same with right mouse button to adjust depth of seat view.

You do not need to manually copy crewchief files in gtr2 folder, it is best to let gtr2 setup do it via plugin page VI : here you have 2 options for CC whether you want CC only #4 or CC+VR #5 and gtr2 setup will install automatcally microsoft VC redist 2010 + 2019 to make work CC with steam exe. So re-run gtr2 setup and set #5 at page VI to enable CC plugin with VR and setup will install required microsoft VC redist if it is not detected on your pc (a pop up window will appear in this case and answer YES to allow install).

Just after CrewChief install you must run CrewChief app to download sound files (they are huge between 1-2Go) because they are not included out of the box.

Last edited:
Goodmorning gtr233,

Followed your readme.
Before starting gtr2 exe I open crew chief game gtr2 enable. Sound pack is up to date.
Starting gtr2 exe in vr ok, I can not point mouse to handel buttons. Without starting cc all oké.
IMG_20211230_094022_edit_639382840542539.jpg

You do not need to manually copy crewchief files in gtr2 folder, it is best to let gtr2 setup do it via plugin page VI

The only problem is when CC is not installed in C:/ at the place you're looking for .... then you need to copy the CC needed files manually.
Mine are in D:/ for example and Steam GTR2 is in another SSD E: :D

But I can't help you @ouwereus ....I have no VR

Last edited:
I got a WMR headset and can run CC and gtr2 in VR without any issues.
My start up procedure:
Start crew chief and simhub if you use that.
Select gtr2 and start. I then minimize CC
Start WMR Home
Open a desktop window in wmr home and start Gtr2.
It will then start steamVR and gtr2.
If steamVR are getting updated this will fail on first start. Just close SteamVR
And restart Gtr2 from WMR home.
I run Gtr2 in windows mode 800x600x32

Hello Bjarne,

Thanks for the help.
WMR + VR.png

I followed your guide.
CC start up en minimized.
Started WMR home.
Opened desktop window in wmr home.
Steam vr and gtr2 are started , and CC in background. Succes.
Only on top of VR are 2 screens.
How to get rit off.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%