GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Installed the Anniversary patch and it works , not going to install VR CC patch yet , until I find why it stuffs the install, even with all antivirus off.
Ok, if you are sure that AV is entirely off for GTR2 directory, and CC VR still causes game not to start, there might be some issue I am not aware of. It would be great to figure out, but there's no guarantee of success and it might need a lot of investigation. But if you are willing to help, ping me via PM or even better, via CC discord.

Before we do that, please try this file https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe and let me know if it fixes it. I never needed this redist, but it might be because my PC is full of programmer's stuff, and I was under impression Win10 gets this via Windows Update anyway. Please, let me know if it fixes the issue.

BTW, do you know which file breaks things CrewChief.dll or d3d9.dll?

Last edited:
Not sure ,but I can tell you that when it breaks and I do a steam Verify integrity check, each time there was 2 files missing and it re downloads them , run integrity check again to confirm , all good, but still broken. No clue what the 2 files are. Don't stress about it I will try again in a couple of weeks when time permits. Cheers.

Last edited:
Not sure ,but I can tell you that when it breaks and I do a steam Verify integrity check, each time there was 2 files missing and it re downloads them , run integrity check again to confirm , all good, but still broken. No clue what the 2 files are. Don't stress about it I will try again in a couple of weeks when time permits. Cheers.
Give the above link a shot - it might be all you need, and if it helps, I'll need to update instuctions :) In any case, talk to you soon.

Last edited:
guys - I've question. Does speeding in pitlane penalty exists in GTR2? I was told it works only if car has no limiter. Can anyone confirm?

Also, if such penalty exists, in which sessions it applies? Race, Practice, Qualification? Cheers.

Would be curious to now that too as I have never gotten a penalty for speeding in the pitlane .
Tend not too but easy to go over the speed limited.
it looks like it is "race" only, and detection might be a bit too relaxed (you really have to speed hard). But I already managed to disable automatic limiter engage/disengage, now trying to start in garage with "engaged" mode and extend penalty to all sessions.

I never had a penaly either since 2010 when I started.... but I didn't drive GTR2 often online at the time.
Should it only be a possible multiplayer option ?

I never had a penaly either since 2010 when I started.... but I didn't drive GTR2 often online at the time.
Should it only be a possible multiplayer option ?
yesterday I tested offline it worked, but as I said I was going like at 200 when limit is 60km/h. Did you try disengaging limiter? You know that GTR2 engages limiter automatically, right?

I wonder if this is Steam .exe regression that you _really_ need to speed to get a penalty.

Driving in the pits like I'd drive on a straight on track ? ... that's not my driving style.

Now I can understand why I never got one single penalty in GTR2 ... I just mostly turn the limiter off sooner only in the Spa pitlane ( much too long :D ) but never speed up too much.... just cautious as it might become a habit and I drive AC and ACC mostly in league races or championships.... it should cost me too much ! :confused:

Driving in the pits like I'd drive on a straight on track ? ... that's not my driving style.

Now I can understand why I never got one single penalty in GTR2 ... I just mostly turn the limiter off sooner only in the Spa pitlane ( much too long :D ) but never speed up too much.... just cautious as it might become a habit and I drive AC and ACC mostly in league races or championships.... it should cost me too much ! :confused:
not my style either - hence I never got it in normal conditions. I was just testing. That said, automatic limiter engaged by the game pissed me off badly.

I made a simple mind map comparing GTR2 to my favorite Race 07.
Maybe it can be useful for future update ideas? :)

GTR2
+ better modding capacity, more things "unlocked"
+ Pit crew, safety car, formation lap, change driver, night racing, car lights pitboard
+ More championship options
+- Similar physics (haven't tried it much), cars could probably be adjusted to what you prefer in setup. What is the thing with the simplified setup that is in the game? Just a shortcut that applies the other standard setup options gradually?
+ Driving school (not necessary but a cool thing)
+ Crew chief and other new things
- No windscreen wipers

Modding:
- I think the <HIGH> <MED><LOW><EXP> in .cas files is more annoying than just using LODs.
- Game crashes when textures are missing, at least in tracks?
- Don't like the .gtr packing very much, even if it can be done only in final release.
Are there any downsides not to pack the files other than disc space?

Race 07
+ I prefer this UI, but I think most people like GTR2 better. Probably depending on which game you had first?
+ The game looks better in my opinion. I think it is because of the fresnel shader.
GTR2 is not bad, the "cube map ...grayscale reflect..." can be used for good metallic effect, but I use that in Race 07 too.
+ Animated windscreen wipers
+- Similar physics, cars can be adjusted to what you prefer. Nice and user friendly setup.
- More hardcoded and some options are turned off
- Less cool things like pit crews etc
- Less championship options
Modding:
+ I prefer to have the files not packed, so it is easier to see what is there and to replace them. Not that it is hard to pack the files, just an extra unnecessary thing to do.
+ I have found some extra things to add to the .hdc file and edit in talent files to get more human like ai. Not sure if all of them can be used in GTR2?

I might try to convert a car or two some day to see how it works.

+ Animated windscreen wipers
^ this is the main thing I plan to look at and the only thing I personally miss in GTR2 compared to Race 07. It will be very helpful to collaborate with someone who is very very very familiar with all the GMTs, animation etc. However, no promises whatsoever. First of all my internal list will keep me busy for a long time, maybe even a year, and graphics stuff is something I care less about compared to rules, glitches etc. Second, if someone comes up with a moddable and more feature complete game than GTR2 (unlikely), the whole effort loses the point and I'll just move on.

Very nice write up. I respect that you prefer Race07, but it felt like a step back in feature richness compared to GTR2, that's why I never got into it. I agree Race07 looks better, but all the things lost outweigh that to me.

Again, no promises, after everything is done I might look into "freshnel" thing, especially if there's someone to productively collaborate with (means someone with real graphics programming and gmotor understanding).
- Don't like the .gtr packing very much, even if it can be done only in final release.
Are there any downsides not to pack the files other than disc space?
^this can be scripted, so not a con really.

Last edited:
I understand that adding the fresnel shader is a huge task.
Also interested in the gmt animation. I don't think anyone have made any modifications other than wiper animations (positioning)?

I understand that adding the fresnel shader is a huge task.
Also interested in the gmt animation. I don't think anyone have made any modifications other than wiper animations (positioning)?
Andreas - so you are familiar with the gmt animation? If so, can I PM you once I get to this?

My plan is to initially have static windshield texture, kind of like today, but slightly different image. And visual holy grail for GTR2 is to get the damn wipers moving. But again, I have bunch of non visual things I want to tweak before that, so it will be a very while :)

I suspect wiring new shader will be a much more difficult task.

Last edited:
For the graphics option, I ended up using the AMS Sweetfx on both games when in triple screens and they both look very good. Obviously this is not an option in VR as a different d3d9.dll is needed, but it would be great if something could be done about this. My only problem with Race07 is the mirror resolution which I found the hard way cannot be changed with the mirror.bmp

Also a Race07 advantage for me is the slightly better FFB at least for me(both with shovas same settings), something must be different in coding.

@The Iron Wolf would it be possible to enable Crewchief with Race07 someday?

Last edited:
Andreas - so you are familiar with the gmt animation? If so, can I PM you once I get to this?

My plan is to initially have static windshield texture, kind of like today, but slightly different image. And visual holy grail for GTR2 is to get the damn wipers moving. But again, I have bunch of non visual things I want to tweak before that, so it will be a very while :)

I suspect wiring new shader will be a much more difficult task.

I only know how to edit the position, but there are some animation export log files included for the last Race07 addon cars. I can send them to you so you hopefully can get a better understanding of the files. I wonder if @Günthar Rowe knows any animation secrets? He was the Race 07 guru when I started about 10 years ago and is mentioned in some of the latest Simbin cars.

Last edited:
@The Iron Wolf would it be possible to enable Crewchief with Race07 someday?
Sorry, it is doable, but I personally have no plans nor interest on doing that.

The d3d9.dll binaries can be chained, so there might be something can be done there, but again graphics is the last thing I care about in a sim, so have no idea when I'll get to it.

Limiter and few other fixes are out, the changelist is on the main thread.

Edit: from where I stand, we should all join forces in making GTR2 better as it is a more complete base to start with.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 37 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.3%