In my opnion SIMBIN needs to decide what public they want to reach, becaus eif they try to get the arcade fans and the simulator fans (as they have done with the Race series) they will loose both sides. To me the only option SIMBIN have is focusing in the Sim Racers with an improved version of GTR2... if they go to the race series again sim racers will go to rF2 and arcarde fans will go to F1 2010 and GT5.

I really don't agree with your simple simulation/arcade classification. The reality is way more complicated than this. How can you put GT5 in the same category as Mario Carts? F1 2010 isn't out yet so its hard to say just how good a sim it is, but it will simulate many aspects of racing far better rFactor or iRacing.

I also think you have over-simplified the buyers of racing games. You can't put them into two categories - there is cross-over - I own a variety of racing games and if you visit Amazon and select a tradtional racing sim you will see that people who bought this also bought less serious racing titles.

I found my first on-line racing experience with GT Legends very enlightening as to the sort of people who really buy racing "sims". I won one of the early races because I was the only person who could keep a Mini on the track for three laps. I tried a 10 lap race with about 16 on the grid - by lap three there were only four of us still racing.

Sorry, did I? I think I still having my point.

I think people have short memories. When GTR2 came out many claimed Simbin had gone "arcade". Those people too had short memories as the original GTR had an arcade mode :D

When the Race series came out, same accusation. And you can be sure the next GTR will also be accused of being arcade.

I guess it will depend on the prposal they do.

I doubt it. If GT Legends and GTR2 were accused of being arcade, I'm sure the next GTR will also be accused of the same thing.

Look at the reaction to F1 2010 - its not even been released but some (including you) have decided its an arcade game. So if Simbin do what Codies have done and get technical data from the teams to produce their physics. If they employ a racing driver from the series to assist in getting the feel right. If they simulate dynamic weather with the grip of each square foot of track monitored and varied by tyres driving over it dispersing water. If they include the need to drive off line to cool your wet tyres. If they include rubber build up on the racing line and marbles off the racing line and a clean and dirty side of the grid. If they include flatspots on your tyres and punctures from running over debris. If they include race series rules about mandatory pitstops and tyre options and restricted numbers of tyres. If they do all this they will still be accused of making an arcade game :)

A common misconception in the simracing community is that people confuse difficulty with realism. Most real life race cars are not that hard to drive at all. Problem is that in our sim racing community there are a lot of parrots that read something on a blog or website and will repeat that for the rest of their lives. The more people that read the constant parrotting the more will actually believe.

I for sure can't wait for F1 2010 as so far it looks absolutely briljant. Not sim enough, don't buy it but then please don't be a parrot.

:rabbit:<----not a parrot, couldn't find any.

Have to agree Bram, been there done it. Make my own mind up these days. Say what you like about a sim/arcade or whatever. At the end of the day its great gameplay I want to pay for. I want good racing. You could get good racing in PGR, not a sim. You could get it in RD series too, not widely considered a sim

I want to have fun. I like things to be hard too but fun is way more important.

ps. the magic word is [noparse]:parrot:[/noparse] :parrot:
:facepalm:

A common misconception in the simracing community is that people confuse difficulty with realism. Most real life race cars are not that hard to drive at all. Problem is that in our sim racing community there are a lot of parrots that read something on a blog or website and will repeat that for the rest of their lives. The more people that read the constant parrotting the more will actually believe.

I for sure can't wait for F1 2010 as so far it looks absolutely briljant. Not sim enough, don't buy it but then please don't be a parrot.

:rabbit:<----not a parrot, couldn't find any.

Sheeep Dont be a Sheep and follow people word for word. :p

Most real life race cars are not that hard to drive at all.

Of course I agree as kart driver I am, as an example I have to tell you that no one still managed to emulate the sensation of putting your car out of the driving line into a corner, where all the dirt is, where you simply can´t put your machine back on the line and have to be extremely carefull with the gas... as an example. But I was not repeating anybody else words, but my own opinion.

Anyway I still can see the diference between rFactor and GT5, even if I can have great racing in both. The question to make a good simulation is not in making it harder, but in making it realistic in all his aspects, as damage, tyre consumption, grip on the racing line and out of it...

As kart driver I am I have to tell you that no one still managed to emulate the sensation of putting your car out of the driving line into a corner, where all the dirt is, where you simply can´t put your machine back on the line and have to be super carefull with the gas... as an example.

Dave, if you want good gameplay and good racing, Mario Kart will do it for you...:cool: (joking) including bananas on track. But I guess you look for something more. I see people mess with hard/sim/easy/arcade words as you say, and it is not right, to me a good sim is the game more accurated in his approach to reality, and it includes A LOT of things...

• Ariff Roose

has anybody written this?
new car updates that pop up every month or so. something like... uhh... PGR4. My friends got an M3 E30 there.

When the RACE series came out there was a lot of complaining about Steam. Previous titles as GTR, GT Legends and GTR 2 were sold mainly via stores as a boxed version. After some time the storm passed and people saw that Steam wasn't so bad afterall (especially easy reinstalling) with exception of the very slow loading of the game compared to titles such as DiRT2 that fire up in a second.

How would you like to purchase your next game?
- A boxed version
- Via Steam
- Via digital download

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 301 34.5%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 245 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 164 18.8%
  • Watch party