The details and general geometry and textures look great, I guess the actual shaders are placeholder until they put more detailed one, but indeed, that look promising.

I think I understand why some people find the graphics "bizarre", I guess they didn't tuned the indirect lightning or ambient occlusion yet, that's why shadows are very dark, and as a result the lack of natural brightness on those screens.

However, 2017/2018 will be interesting and very promising period for simracers, looking forward for more information.

The details and general geometry and textures look great, I guess the actual shaders are placeholder until they put more detailed one, but indeed, that look promising.

I think I understand why some people find the graphics "bizarre", I guess they didn't tuned the indirect lightning or ambient occlusion yet, that's why shadows are very dark, and as a result the lack of natural brightness on those screens.

However, 2017/2018 will be interesting and very promising period for simracers, looking forward for more information.

^ this. Was just about to say that myself. It's very very very early to say how the game is going to look from these shots alone. To me personally they look way off from what it is supposed to be, nowhere near "real" as some people seem to put it but it is understandable given the excitement. That said UE4 does have huge potential to look sick if they do things rights. Right now it looks way too "game-y" and nowhere near photo-realistic but hey, it does looks pretty damn fantastic for it being in such an early state. Beyond hyped for a sim to be finally built using a modern visual engine though. Will be fun to finally put this thing to some actual work in a racing sim. :D

ZD2HQS6l.png

Don't give a damn about how it looks like, but if it drives like R3E, thank you very much, I already have one and am not very satisfied with it.

I dont think it will be an issue what so ever. I figure it will be exactly how they did it in RRE with novice, amateur, get real which i feel is done amazingly.
With the switch of one slider my 5yr old son can jump on and compete with the ai while i use get real mode and race with some top notch sim racers.

Keep in mind that you are looking at very early stage images of a proof of concept build. A lot of changes/improvements/polish will happen over the course of the year.

But i think we all agree that the potential is there, and our artists are known for delivering top notch cars and tracks.

Combine that with simbin/sector3 physics, ffb and sound quality and i think we can look forward to something really special.

that, plus the screenshots posted from KartKraft should have us not worried about cars and tracks.

To build up my personal hype train, there ought to be 3 screenshots along the lines of:
* an interesting off-race motorhome/atmospheric set that changes as you progress career
* you starting inside a crowded pit garage / walking from driver change into garage
* a mildly bruised car getting fixed with duck tape by pit crew / or at least cars with that sort of fixes / battle damage / dirt build up etc.

That is where most sim games under-delivered so far, that is what is the next level imo, not overall graphics improvements etc (those are expected from a title in 2018). This level of detail and polished atmosphere could also be the primary differentiation to "r3e", where due to MP/hotlop focus, the SP version doesn't have to be that detailed.

I'd take less realistic shaded/detailed cars/tracks, for the addition of those "race life" effects (crowded pits, living cars...) any day. Physics, tracks, cars, all get better over the years anyway, the one sim that does invest beyond this, will be truly exceptional. (Codemasters has done a great job on their games on that end)

Last edited:
that, plus the screenshots posted from KartKraft should have us not worried about cars and tracks.

To build up my personal hype train, there ought to be 3 screenshots along the lines of:
* an interesting off-race motorhome/atmospheric set that changes as you progress career
* you starting inside a crowded pit garage / walking from driver change into garage
* a mildly bruised car getting fixed with duck tape by pit crew / or at least cars with that sort of fixes / battle damage / dirt build up etc.

That is where most sim games under-delivered so far, that is what is the next level imo, not overall graphics improvements etc (those are expected from a title in 2018). This level of detail and polished atmosphere could also be the primary differentiation to "r3e", where due to MP/hotlop focus, the SP version doesn't have to be that detailed.

I'd take less realistic shaded/detailed cars/tracks, for the addition of those "race life" effects (crowded pits, living cars...) any day. Physics, tracks, cars, all get better over the years anyway, the one sim that does invest beyond this, will be truly exceptional. (Codemasters has done a great job on their games on that end)
Totally agree with this. Getting damage during a race and having the pit crew rip off bits of damaged hanging off bumper due to Black and Orange flags, removing windscreen tearoffs, taping up bodywork after small knocks or nudges, brake dust blowing out everywhere when they remove the tyres to change, random fires from brakes igniting with people reaching for fire extinguishers. Is this all too much to ask for? Lol
Maybe, but we can all dream right? ;)

It seems like some people rather like some graphics from 10-15 year old engines, then actual high polished photorealistic graphics. :rolleyes:
I guess most people are not "out" there, during days in the summer, when the sun is glaring down with a million lumen..only with sunglasses i guess.
Or they are just so used to the fact that the "real" sims have crappy graphics, that they fear awesome graphics = arcade game.....
In summer i sunblock the window and yes better crappy graphics from 10 yaer ago then crappy pyshics from 1945 if i want what you want i better by cheap console .

I agree with you. This is the kind of graphics that I look for. Like you said - less bling more photo realistic. That third shot is amazing.

"announce they are looking to move away from a hardcore simulation"

did i miss that in the OP.
I thought they were giving the options to dial down the realism for the consoles but it would still be there for the heavy simulation gang?
If they're moving away from a serious sim then I'm not sure it's going to compete with AC2 or the updated rF2 imho... :(

Have they had a nuclear war and winter and picture the car racing in the post-apocalyptic era? Vegetation and object detail looks nice, but if a final product would dare to show such unrealistic, surreal light, I could not imagine that it would be successful.

Assuming that this is not the looks of the final light engine (I mean sky, sun, darkness and how they contrast) leaves me wondering why they even publish these images!?

I would not buy a title with light conditions looking like that, as long as it is not Ultima Underworld or something. ;) I mean, it looks like night racing at daylight - where's the sense in that?

P.S. I am playing AC, RR (and ETS2 :) ).

Got a total freak out, when i saw the announcement for GTR 3. I startet out in i think 2008 with GTR 2 and i still playing it now, because not one of the actual sims can give me the features that a game from 2006 can give me. But suddenly after one hour of playing i must admit, that the engine, especially the graphics engine got very old nowadays.

So the announcement of GTR 3 came at the right time, its just freakin awesome, man.

All i want, is a GTR 2 with actual graphics. And please please please Simbin give us the option for completly empty tracks without spectators, tents, cranes and so on for pre-season private testing. What would also be great, if when Simbin could include seasons. I really not want snow or ice on the tracks, but lets say you have a race in early november, the trees, the asphalt and also the lightning could be affected by the season you are driving in, here it would be autumn. Just like Grimes season mods in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Imagine a full endurance real time season for example in the WEC or Blancpain endurance series in GTR 3: Make the plan for your motorsport season by the beginning of the year, maybe participate at the 24h in Dubai, the 12 hours at Mount Panorama, 24 hours at Daytona or the 12 hours in Sebring. Then give your entry for a full season in the WEC, BES, or even VLN and maybe also enter the 24h of Nürburgring and Le Mans. Go testing and testing, present your race season, team, drivers, car and livery to your sponsors and partners and start your race shedule, and that all in real time. That would be freakin awesome, and i would do it like this. Please please simbin give us such a experience. With day/night transitions, changing weather conditions, good AI, great sounds, great graphics, good features and physics i would say now one can beat GTR 3.

If all that happen i can clearly say: Shut up and take my money. :D

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%