'Halo' Proves Worth in Opening Lap Crash at Spa

Happy it "saved" lives. But just looking at the stats. None of the lethal or heavy accidents in the past would have had a different outcome with a halo.
How many accidents happened because the driver has a big bar right in front of his vision?
Still would have liked a bigger windscreen or even fighterjet canopy.

Speculation and conjecture aside, listen to what none other than Fernando Alonso, has to say about this:
"I saw the replay and how good was the proof for the halo," Alonso said.
"We didn't need any proof but it is a good thing."
Alonso, who was among the majority of drivers in favour of the halo's introduction, added: "The positive side is we are all three OK, especially Charles. I flew over his car and the halo was a good thing to have today.

A certain Leclerc chimes in:
"Never been a fan of the halo but I have to say that I was very happy to have it over my head today."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45316834

As these guys were actually there, that appears to be case closed, Sir.
Halo will remain until a more aesthetic solution (electromagnetic shield or something) is invented.
I'm afraid it is a case of like it or lump it, chaps.

It was clear to see in slow motion that the other car could have chopped his head off, at least could have slid across it and cause fatal neck injuries. The landing marks of the chassis on the Halo support this concern as it took some of the downforce of Alonso's car and no one can tell for sure where that would have gone, only the engineers can tell by analyzing the structural damage to that Halo under a microscope.

Happy it "saved" lives. But just looking at the stats. None of the lethal or heavy accidents in the past would have had a different outcome with a halo.
How many accidents happened because the driver has a big bar right in front of his vision?
Still would have liked a bigger windscreen or even fighterjet canopy.
I can think of at least one where the halo definitely would have saved a life. I can think of one where it may have saved a life. And I can't think of 3 where I'm not sure if it would have saved a life or prevented injury.

The halo got hit by debris (whatever), doesn't mean the helmet or head of Charles would have been hit.

Dont know if this has been posted yet

dm5j7kl2nli11.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/9anb1b/frame_by_frame_video_showing_alonsos_car_getting/

Well, Alonso’s car got pretty mangled. So in a way you can see it as flying debris. Although one big flying debris shaped like a crashed F1 car.

Of course nobody know how badly LeClerc would have been injured without halo. But Alonso’s car was heading a very bad place to impact. And luckily for LeClerc and us - the audience - Alonso’s car bounced off on the (butt-ugly) halo. For sure it took care of the fact LeClerc walked away unharmed.

I think most, if like me still are not that caring for halo but we have got accustomed to it. We accept the importance of it. Clearly, in this case at Spa, it served its purpose.

F1 has had worse looking cars and often silly placed aero before now, more detrimental to the cars looks than halo.

Just some examples:

Last edited:
Look at these two shots from the crash:

Alonsos chassis sits angled downward on the HALO, then his chassis slips backward over the HALO. I saw that right away during replay from Live TV.

How can anyone still argue that the HALO did not save Charles?

Just think where the energy that was going down and forward would have gone otherwise?

There are two options and that can be simulated on a computer with telemetry data from both cars:

1.) He could have been lucky in which the right side of the chassis would have hit the air intake above his head and hope that that would have been rigid enough,
2.) but if the chassis would have turned with its full width between the front end of the car and the air intake he would have at least suffered a broken neck.

From the angle of the damage on the HALO (right side HALO front and downward) I am pretty sure the latter would have happened with a much higher probability than the former.
AND: On the first pic it appears to me as if Alonso's chassis is in front of the air intake with its full width when sliding across the HALO but you cannot be 100% sure from that angle.

Anyone still arguing the fact that this one saved Charles live with a probability of >90%?

Last edited:
Well, Alonso’s car got pretty mangled. So in a way you can see it as flying debris. Although one big flying debris shaped like a crashed F1 car.

I disagree, the chassis and the cockpit were fully intact at the time when the car hit the HALO, the structure of the car carries the weight, all these carbon parts and stuff do not put Charles as much in danger as the weight, speed and direction of the car body does. Especially because debris could have never entered his helmet at high speed such as it did with Felipe Massa a couple of years ago or when Senna hit the wall and got killed by a high speed debris part of his car with his head flying forward as a result of the impact.

Halo saved Charles life but Aeroscreen/Shield/Full Canopy will have the same outcome, it will work in more situations (small debris) and at least it will look good.

I stand by my post in saying safety has gone too far. I also state that I don't want to see death obviously but if there's car parts flying, I'm all for that! When you next talk to your mate or whoever about the grand prix, the first thing you say isn't "What about the Bottas overtake" no, it's "Wow what a crash, what a mess! People never want to miss the start of the race because yes their favourite driver might gain positions before turn 1 but.......... They know there is a big chance of an incident. Sky tv advert at the moment advertising ultra hd show the 2 ferrari cars crashing into each other and close up of car parts, they're not showing some overtake. Why? Because it's excitement. I think all the disagreements on my first post are really meant to be the green ticks and you're probably the same people who don't know the difference between lose and loose lol.
Your argument is severely flawed.
Crashed cars 'rob' real F1 fans of what could have been during real track competition.
A bunch of broken cars piled up behind a fence, means less drivers, less action, less overtakes.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 429 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 267 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.2%
Back