HoF and Discussion (Propose Game Ideas Here)

I'm watching IndyCar qualifying at COTA. As expected, they are around 12-14 seconds slower than F1 cars, but they still look bloody fast! And the car looks much more difficult to handle, as if they are actually driving the car instead of guiding it around the circuit. Especially Sector 3 looks very hard feathering the throttle and the finesse to keep the car on the edge. I'm definitely a fan of this event already.

Hey guys! Been testing a little project on AC (Still veryvery early) with the AI cars, and came up with this idea. This is only a first draft, but will be happy if some of you wanted to help me out testing (Only if you are interrested ofc) or just throw some feedback.

Draft in file

Attachments

• Assetto Corsa Manager RPG.pdf
    215.1 KB · Views: 105
Hey guys! Been testing a little project on AC (Still veryvery early) with the AI cars, and came up with this idea. This is only a first draft, but will be happy if some of you wanted to help me out testing (Only if you are interrested ofc) or just throw some feedback.

Draft in file
I like the concept and this could be a decent testing ground.

However, i am not sure how many people would participate in a game like this.
To start it off, i would recommend doing a test run with only one season and one class. Or at least fewer classes than what you have now. I dont know how many people you already gathered, but from experience it is quite difficult to find people if a game hasnt alrady successfully started.

Using AC is very cool, i only ever had a series like this run in much older games.
Managing an own team is great.
Beeing able to develop a driver or the car is a great tool, too. This is very important to be able to do some strategic choices.

Having a scouting league where we dont participate but can look out for drivers is an idea i have not heard before and i like it very much.

In my opinion, older drivers should not get a higher chance of retirement. They are more experienced, less agressive, and therefore should retire less. But maybe they get a bit slower after some time.

Draft in file
Every game which allows to manage a team and combines development and strategy with a little bit of RNG gets a +1 from me, but as ben said, start of small and expand ones everything is running smoothly. Starting with 1 series helps setting the base to gather players and once more players start participating you can expand it accordingly

I like the concept and this could be a decent testing ground.

However, i am not sure how many people would participate in a game like this.
To start it off, i would recommend doing a test run with only one season and one class. Or at least fewer classes than what you have now. I dont know how many people you already gathered, but from experience it is quite difficult to find people if a game hasnt alrady successfully started.

Using AC is very cool, i only ever had a series like this run in much older games.
Managing an own team is great.
Beeing able to develop a driver or the car is a great tool, too. This is very important to be able to do some strategic choices.

Having a scouting league where we dont participate but can look out for drivers is an idea i have not heard before and i like it very much.

In my opinion, older drivers should not get a higher chance of retirement. They are more experienced, less agressive, and therefore should retire less. But maybe they get a bit slower after some time.

Thanks for the feedback. As Lesley says as well, I'm also thinking when I'll do the tests we'll start small. Just for the concept I've put that many series as an example of the structure, and are the series I'm currently testing to see how the AI does alone.

When I'm saying retire, I mean career-wise, not in-race :D

FFG News!

It's not coming back soon.

But something similar is!

So I think most people would be aware that I've guarded FFG very closely, hence why I've not lent it out to anyone else to take over. As you may have guessed, that's not going to change. The classic 11 teams, 17 races, testings and suppliers will still remain on ice until I get my sh*t together. Season 6 won't be around soon, but I'm confident that it will eventually, especially if I can implement a new marketplace system (not to spoil the surprise, but we're talking all prize money goes to teams, and teams pay a race on race salary to drivers. Naturally the entire economy needs to change to allow that, hence it won't be around soon either).

So what I want to chat about today, a proposal for everyone to think about, is a FFG Sprint Series. Think more like FFG crossed with GPTCC. Everything is streamlined, faster and hopefully a bit more jovial. It retains crucial parts of FFG, but also does away with time consuming matters - practice, testing, supplier values etc.

So what we're looking at is 8-10 races per season, team sizes to range from 1-3/4 (teams championship would be tallied on top two cars at any race), custom/personalised numbers, allowing markedly different liveries across a team. Beyond that, standard car shape and base performance means that editing the files shouldn't be a problem at all, likewise having a nice and easy template to work with makes it easier for everyone to create good looking cars.

Additionally, team managers would still be required, but would be able to drive for their team should they wish (still would rather that didn't happen), and indeed perform well. That's because the marketplace would instead be race setups. With a small-ish pool of driver skill and HP, teams and drivers would submit their 'setups' for a given race. Thus, drivers and teams can look to play to a tracks strengths, but also it means that teams and driver are always a chance, there's no snowball effect present to create a midfield or backmarkers. But there will be 'momentum bonuses', a bit of extra performance that rewards those who have done well in the last race, but isn't insurmountable for the other teams.

So what's the big deal about this then? Well, unlike FFG which I won't let anyone touch for the most part, I'm opening up the Sprint Series to anyone that is interested in helping. The races are shorter, there doesn't need to be commentary, the video can just be 5-10 minutes of footage and then speed up the race to end (like the F1 series was for ages). Two races a week, which can even be grouped to doing two at once on the weekend can also make it easier for anyone running the round/s.

And all of this is officially separate from FFG in terms of statistics, so again I've got no issue letting others take control of it.

So if you're interested in helping out, in joining the stewards board :D let me know. Also, team slots will be offered to the managers of Season 5 of FFG firstly, then we'll go from there as to how we need to shuffle them around. Contracts are not enforced across the two series, so being contracted at say, Ravenwest in FFG doesn't mean you have to drive for them in the Sprint Series. Likewise teams don't have to be the same either (e.g. Ravenwest in FFG, Speedy in Sprint Series). thanks lesley

Also if anyone can come up with a catchy name, something that can be abbriviated nicely would be good. FFGSS S1 doesn't really have a great ring to it you know :roflmao:

It'll all make a bit more sense with a bit more thinking behind the scenes, but ultimately this is to bring back some classic GP4 racing in our forum.

Im racing for sure, maybe managing, if needed.

Helping, not so sure if i want to commit myself to that, i have some important stuff coming up. What woulf we need to do?

-

And could you guys please give @StephoSlash some feedback?

You all like simulated series and it sounds very good. The forum game section could be a great testing ground for him and for us

@StephoSlash

I really like your idea too, but there's some things I'd like to warn you, from my own experience :

- At the beginning we all want to create a very rich game, with many many many things involved. Several series, hundreds of drivers, complex simulated stuff etc... But soon you'll see that it requires A LOT of time to do everything, to answer everyone, to fully manage your game... every day ! In my opinion, the more simple the game is, the better it is. And simple doesn't mean "dumb". But if everyone has to watch rookie races + their own races + other series. And in the meantime you have to simulate, race by race, everything in the game it will take you hours every day !

- The second thing is the reward/upgrade system which is an inherent problem of every "RPG" game based on "if you're good you get points/money that you can spend to be better and earn more points to get even better" and so on. If young drivers become better if they win, they'll keep winning forever. From my point of view, any development (car pace or driver skills) has to be strictly independent from results. And it's the most difficult thing to create. The main issue is, for me, that if the Champion gets the more money, he can create a better car than all of his opponents.. which gives him the best chance to become champion again.

@StephoSlash

I really like your idea too, but there's some things I'd like to warn you, from my own experience :

- At the beginning we all want to create a very rich game, with many many many things involved. Several series, hundreds of drivers, complex simulated stuff etc... But soon you'll see that it requires A LOT of time to do everything, to answer everyone, to fully manage your game... every day ! In my opinion, the more simple the game is, the better it is. And simple doesn't mean "dumb". But if everyone has to watch rookie races + their own races + other series. And in the meantime you have to simulate, race by race, everything in the game it will take you hours every day !

- The second thing is the reward/upgrade system which is an inherent problem of every "RPG" game based on "if you're good you get points/money that you can spend to be better and earn more points to get even better" and so on. If young drivers become better if they win, they'll keep winning forever. From my point of view, any development (car pace or driver skills) has to be strictly independent from results. And it's the most difficult thing to create. The main issue is, for me, that if the Champion gets the more money, he can create a better car than all of his opponents.. which gives him the best chance to become champion again.
I think one has to find the right balance. Winning should be rewarded, but it should not mean, that the team or driver is overpowered suddenly.

re FFG
Don't feel like you're required to help out. If the series is easy enough to run then I may run a lot of it.

Also with Mark, we can look at a small screenshot selection as well.

@StephoSlash

Thanks for the feedback. :D

I totally get the point in the first part. I'm also thinking of starting with the basics for testing, and then build upon that, when the basics work.
Timewise, I'm willing to put a lot of work and effort into the project, if the interest is there. So far I've tried to optimise the workflow, so I don't have to figure it all out as we go along.

To the reward system I will of course try to make it in a way, so that the winning team/driver wont get OP and just keep on winning, nobody wants that (execpt mercedes maybe :p) That's also why I want to implement the dillemas, and RNG/Roll-parts as well. Ex. If you develop a new part on the car, there's a risk that it will fail and make the car worse, risk/reward. No guarrantees. Of course these systems will need to be polished and tested to optimise it, and make it fun for every participant.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%