HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
Try using another USB port with USB c adapter. I had similar problems on my x570. Constant disconnects. Changed port. All working

Yeah, I've been swapping all usb ports around. Best result have been moving all other peripherals to a usb hub and plugging the headset into the usb-c port in front of the case. This gives me between 5 to 45 minutes before a disconnect (and a steamvr crash as a result). Enough to practice tracks, but impossible to rely on for races.

Have ordered a pcie card so hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0
Can someone please explain to me a few things.. Im still relatively new to VR (g2 deflowered me).

1. I have a 2070 Super on a i7 6700k 4.6ghz OC. How do i get stable 90fps (not 45+reprojection)? is it even possible? on ACC? I dont care if i lower the resolution to something worse. Is there a combination that would make it somewhat reasonable?

2. OpenXR - What does the setting there actually do? I see no difference in 100% or 50%. I have it selected as my runtime (through dev mode on steamvr). Only thing i see that it actually affects anything are the steamVR resolution per eye sliders. This slider looks completely useless to me.

Most of the answers are extremely subjective that ive read. For someone, its acceptable to run 45fps with reprojection and its "runs fine for me (thumbs up)", while for someone 89fps is not enough. Everyone has his own take on it. Im always up for more stability and speed, rather than eye candy.

Upvote 0
I don’t understand how the 3080 can’t keep constant 90fps!
With my 2080ti/i9-9900k(5.2Hz) I run rfactor2 at high setting and SS-100 in global setting and 120% in per application setting ... 87-90fps.

Upvote 0
People think that with a new GPU you can just jam everything on MAX and have perfect frame rate also. There is always going to be a balancing act with settings for VR because it's such a tough thing to get right in sim racing. We're not yet at the level where every title is able to run without thinking about compromising at least some settings.

Oh and for anyone having issues with AMD boards and USB, just get a powered PCIe USB expansion card and be done with it. As a sim racer you will always use the extra USB ports and your G2 will be able to run perfectly without having to wait a year for a fix. I used it on my system and never had any drama with the G2 while I had it. It bypasses any AMD related issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1 you can't play at 90fps with csp and sol with those specs. Massive CPU bottleneck and the GPU is not powerful enough neither.
I play with 7700k and 3070 and all graphics medium to low with CSP and sol activated at 100% resolution and ALWAYS REPROJECTIONS ON with full grids (15 to 20 cars)
Can someone please explain to me a few things.. Im still relatively new to VR (g2 deflowered me).

1. I have a 2070 Super on a i7 6700k 4.6ghz OC. How do i get stable 90fps (not 45+reprojection)? is it even possible? on ACC? I dont care if i lower the resolution to something worse. Is there a combination that would make it somewhat reasonable?

2. OpenXR - What does the setting there actually do? I see no difference in 100% or 50%. I have it selected as my runtime (through dev mode on steamvr). Only thing i see that it actually affects anything are the steamVR resolution per eye sliders. This slider looks completely useless to me.

Most of the answers are extremely subjective that ive read. For someone, its acceptable to run 45fps with reprojection and its "runs fine for me (thumbs up)", while for someone 89fps is not enough. Everyone has his own take on it. Im always up for more stability and speed, rather than eye candy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

To be honest, their answers to other complaints were pretty awful.
My old G1 is looking better and better every day.

Then again, people swear Index has awesome support and I didn't really have a good time with their support either.
G1 is also HP and had much more serious issues, including recall on release. I doubt anyone would go with Hewlett if there were a choice like Samsung, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I don’t understand how the 3080 can’t keep constant 90fps!
With my 2080ti/i9-9900k(5.2Hz) I run rfactor2 at high setting and SS-100 in global setting and 120% in per application setting ... 87-90fps.

A lot of variables can make an impact. Just diff versions of CSP alone make a difference:

unknown.png

That testing was done by Peter, creator of SoL. With same settings across the board, you can see the difference in performance.

I personally run csp 1.60, sol 1.62 with the natural mod post processing filters. After the nvidia hotfix, I'm able to to hold 90fps at 100% steamvr and 130% AC. I'm on a 9900k at 5.2 as well with 16/4400 mem and a 3090 with a custom curve.

I'm a bit surprised you can't hold 90fps honestly. Try something like 100% steamvr anad 100% AC and post your settings on here.

Upvote 0
I cant seem to get the blur out of AC. Doesnt matter how much SS theres still a blur while rf2 and iracing is super crisp. Anyone notice or have a fix?

Since iracing isnt in my steamvr, how can i manually up the SS like you can do for each steam game?

Edit: I figured out, if you use the controller and open steamvr you can manually do it there and restart the game for it to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

After moving to G2 it seems too sharp to me and I am only using 75% SS. Have you disabled Advanced Supersample Filter in SteamVR.
Take a look at this doc, it has some useful info on setting up AC/CSP/SOL/SteamVR.

Upvote 0
After moving to G2 it seems too sharp to me and I am only using 75% SS. Have you disabled Advanced Supersample Filter in SteamVR.
Take a look at this doc, it has some useful info on setting up AC/CSP/SOL/SteamVR.

Have you got the steamvr at 50% and then edit AC for 75%. Or just have steamvr at 75%? Would that even make a difference or exact same result?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Have you got the steamvr at 50% and then edit AC for 75%. Or just have steamvr at 75%? Would that even make a difference or exact same result?
50% Global and 150% AC, as they are multiplied the overall is 75%.

Upvote 0
I also have a 2070 Super and I have SteamVR at 100% (globally and per-application) and AC looks fantastic. I have everything at maximum (no PP) and I'm able to hold 90 FPS almost everywhere. It's never looked better.

ACC and PC2 are a different matter altogether. I haven't found the secret formula for making them look remotely decent yet. I had them *ok* on my Rift S, but they look much worse now. I've tried every combo of SteamVR/per-application supersampling and antialiasing, but it's still a mess. I've decided a 3080 or 3090 will solve the problem once they're actually available for purchase.

Incidentally, iRacing looks fantastic so I've been spending a lot more time there since getting my G2.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I also have a 2070 Super and I have SteamVR at 100% (globally and per-application) and AC looks fantastic. I have everything at maximum (no PP) and I'm able to hold 90 FPS almost everywhere. It's never looked better.

ACC and PC2 are a different matter altogether. I haven't found the secret formula for making them look remotely decent yet. I had them *ok* on my Rift S, but they look much worse now. I've tried every combo of SteamVR/per-application supersampling and antialiasing, but it's still a mess. I've decided a 3080 or 3090 will solve the problem once they're actually available for purchase.

Incidentally, iRacing looks fantastic so I've been spending a lot more time there since getting my G2.
You should look either into reprojection or 60hz mode. That's the only way to get decent image quality on those. 90fps on Ampere is achievable though, but don't expect miracles.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

wow 75% and i was maxed out on single player alone with no AI. I have a 2060 super and 50% seems like the sweet spot for me. This with sol/csp and PP on.
I am running in 60hz mode, 1080Ti, i9-9900K.

Upvote 0
50% Global and 150% AC, as they are multiplied the overall is 75%.
Is there any difference (performance/quality) in having 50/150, compared to 100/75? To me, the 50/150 sounds like combining two extremes.

iRacing is uses a fantastic game engine, which enables you to do whatever you want, essentially, with the eye candy.

You can remove all the unnecessary bullshit you dont need. Id love to see stuff like that in ACC. Who cares about rendering crowds, trees, high end clouds and sun, local flora and fauna, on a freaking race track?

Give me basic info and markers that I can use and thats that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can remove all the unnecessary bullshit you dont need. Id love to see stuff like that in ACC. Who cares about rendering crowds, trees, high end clouds and sun, local flora and fauna, on a freaking race track?

Have you even opened the ACC graphics menu? There are HEAPS of things you can adjust and turn down. The biggest one is Post Processing. On my previous 1080Ti, it gave a 10% GPU usage hit just going from Low to Medium. There are many other settings you can change. My advice is to basically turn everything to Low, increase your Pixel Density as high as your intended frame rate target will allow and see how the game looks. It still looks great at Low settings. I'm running MAX in game settings now with a 6800XT and I can't really tell that much of a difference from when it was on Low. The biggest increase in viewing experience is running Pixel Density as high as you can, along with Temporal AA set to High. This is what VR users should be aiming to achieve,. From there you can test turning some things up to Medium.

People get lost in the "if it's not on High or Ultra it looks like garbage" argument without actually understanding that even on Low, VR tends to look pretty good.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%