HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
Imagine!
That's all I can do since I'm getting no sim time. Writing code in one screen, nursing data migrations in another, custom and Scribe simultaneously. Constant barrage of email all weekend long all workday long into the evening and early morning. Feeling sleep deprived and couldn't race right now if I wanted to. I'd be all over the place sliding off the track.

Maybe I'll take a break after this project ends, but I have another customer who will have pent up demand waiting for me. Sorry, this way off topic, just seeing my sim rig every now and then just collecting dust.

Upvote 0
The plan is to slowly move the lenses of the Valve Index a bit further away and so reducing the fov.

By doing this one step a time, during a longer period, the impact of the lower fov of the HP Reverb will be less :D

I might even reach the point that the fov of the HP Reverb G2 positively in a good way compared to the Index :roflmao:

Excited to get mine in a month or 2. I hope that Nvidia has released the 3000 series by then. Hopefully the 3rd party cards are released at launch, so i can pick the fastest card that fits my budget.

Performance is still my main concern, since 90fps on all sims is pretty hard to achieve with these high resolutions.

Upvote 0
The plan is to slowly move the lenses of the Valve Index a bit further away and so reducing the fov.

By doing this one step a time, during a longer period, the impact of the lower fov of the HP Reverb will be less :D

I might even reach the point that the fov of the HP Reverb G2 positively in a good way compared to the Index :roflmao:

Excited to get mine in a month or 2. I hope that Nvidia has released the 3000 series by then. Hopefully the 3rd party cards are released at launch, so i can pick the fastest card that fits my budget.

Performance is still my main concern, since 90fps on all sims is pretty hard to achieve with these high resolutions.

If you're going to get an upper end card, give serious consideration to EVGA... top-shelf.

Upvote 0

I did exactly that the other day, I moved out the lenses all the way to see if I could live with that fov. It's really hard to tell, on the one hand it's smaller but at the same time you are imagining a super clear image, night racing at lemans with better blacks and less glare... oh man, it could be good..

I wish I knew of a bit of software that I could load in the index to allow me to look through the lenses and adjust them to the same FOV of the G2. I hear there is some steam vr environment but I dont have controllers so cant load it up and use it.

Upvote 0
I think out of anyone I can judge the impact of the FOV change in different headsets. CV1 to 5K+ to Index to Reverb.

Considering I have already bought an 8KX and have sold it without having yet received it, am selling my Index after RMA and currently have a G1 in anticipation of a G2 pre order being available in Australia, I think the answer is pretty cut and dry.

Upvote 0
I think out of anyone I can judge the impact of the FOV change in different headsets. CV1 to 5K+ to Index to Reverb.

Considering I have already bought an 8KX and have sold it without having yet received it, am selling my Index after RMA and currently have a G1 in anticipation of a G2 pre order being available in Australia, I think the answer is pretty cut and dry.

It has been interesting to read how your opinion has changed over time. That's not a complaint, it's just an acknowledgement of the journey. That's pretty much the whole gammut.

So far I've only gone from the CV1 to the Index so there has only been upside ( more resolution, more FOV, faster frame rate, better hand control tracking, better audio, better comfort, higher quality, much less SDE, more in focus area). I'd like to maintain that same trajectory,but I have no doubt I would be very impressed with the image quality of the G2.

I'm also not expecting a higher frame rate, better comfort, better audio, or better hand controller tracking out of my next headset, but that does leave more resolution and more FOV. Still hoping to swap out my headset and keep the base stations and hand controllers with my next headset.

Upvote 0
I will be going for from the CV1 to the G2, so expecting vast improvements in all areas.
The only 'worry' i have is the sound. I actually quite like the on ear headphones of the CV1. I think they sound great and i like no outside distractions. I also dont want to 'have to' use my over ear headphones either if i can help it.

Upvote 0
I will be going for from the CV1 to the G2, so expecting vast improvements in all areas.
The only 'worry' i have is the sound. I actually quite like the on ear headphones of the CV1. I think they sound great and i like no outside distractions. I also dont want to 'have to' use my over ear headphones either if i can help it.

You are really going to like the headphones on the G2 given they are from the index. When mine broke on the cv1 I got a set of astro a50's to wear. Good headphones and I bought them just for the cv1. So when I got the index I was a bit bummed about using the index headphones. Short story is I would take the ones on the index all day over wearing something else.

The cv1 headphones were good and convenient, the index ones are better and same as the G2

Upvote 0
Yep was so convenient for someone that hates things touching the ears while racing. The Index headphones are an amazing inclusion. It's a pain messing with earbuds on the G1 since I removed the built in headphones. The volume for me could be slightly higher, but as they stand on the Index currently they are the benchmark.

Upvote 0
Like Anton, @anton_Chez I've gone the CV1, 5K+ and Index route, skipped the G1 but ordered the G2 a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't necessarily an 'impulse buy' as I've nothing but praise for the Index and whilst I originally missed the extra FOV that the Pimax provided, it's been a 'no-contest since and the Valve product is a top quality item.

In a moment of weakness I did pre-order the 8K+ but recently bailed and I'm relived I did once more became known about HP's forthcoming release. The thought of yet more 'eye candy,' along with features that make the Index such a premium product and at at a very aggressive price point is very appealing albeit, like Henk @HoiHman, I'm ready to commit to a 30 series as well to get the best out of it, at least once EVGA release their range of cards. I'm loving the new GT4 class in ACC at the moment (thanks to @Andrew_WOT for the engine.ini and .json settings) but would absolutely love to see that title taken to the next level of visual fidelity without compromising too much in terms of performance.

My biggest concern with the G2 is how inside-out tracking will handle motion compared to the Index with its lighthouse set up. My Index experience has been absolutely rock solid for a long while now based on the 'less is more' Simfeedback profiles I use with my SFX-100 and NLRv3 combo. However there was a time when the image, in whatever HMD I was using, would skip occasionally but frequently enough to really break the immersion for me. So I'm hoping that won't be the case with the G2.

Roll on release date, whenever that may be.

Upvote 0
So, a noob question on VR and Sim Racing. As this is virtual does this mean I can race without a wheel, pedals or a rig? This sounds like a brilliant change for those that don't have the space, then can just sit on a chair in the corner of the room, stick on the headset and make all the actions while the VR tracks the movement.

It's going to be hard to not go vroom, vroom.

I guess forcefeeback will be lacking, as will muscle memory for the brake and accelerator, so it's not all positive, but you win some you lose some.

P.S. I'm joking I promise. For some reason the concept really made me smile though

Upvote 0
I bit the bullet and preordered my G2 earlier.

Figured I should grow a pair and just deal with whatever comes my way. Although I have confidence it won’t be as bad as the first reverb release.

Upvote 0
I bit the bullet and preordered my G2 earlier.

Figured I should grow a pair and just deal with whatever comes my way. Although I have confidence it won’t be as bad as the first reverb release.

There you go, that wasn't so hard :)

southparkBalls.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 482 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 295 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 318 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 148 21.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.3%
Back