HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I doubt this will happen (HP official gasket). Even VRCover just released G2 interface use same exact dimension as stock, just pleather padding. Not sure what they were thinking.
You can just remove gasket completely and try bare headset to get a taste of what closer to eyes distance feels like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Never heard of that.
Sigh, I ran across that while searching for something else, but do not find it in saved bookmarks..
This from babeltechreviews,com:
Although the lenses look similar and technically have the same 2160×2160 resolution per eye, they are not the same. The G2 lenses were designed by Valve working together with HP, and they have very different characteristics. The G2’s lens distortion compensation requires a much higher SteamVR resolution and a more powerful video card to power it.
I'll keep looking; I seem to recall another article by someone using VR pretty much full time
with virtual desktops, but it might have been a video... but not specifically a G2 review.

Tyriel Wood referred to barrel and chromatic aberrations in preproduction that were addressed in production. Microsoft describes such image processing improvements, which apply also G1 and Odyssey+.

Oops, MRTV did also check out updated G1. So far as god rays,
MRTV seemed so favorably impressed with G2 prototype god rays and glare
that he may not have closely scrutinized those in production G2, but a consensus of production
G2 reviews that I have read or watched would have those better than average.
It seems that fully exploiting G2 resolution and FOV requires eyeballs specifically located relative
to lenses, but lack of relief adjustment, as in Index, makes that problematic.

FWIW, here is a useful real user G1 vs G2 comparison video

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It all steams from unusual for WMR 1.4x internal multiplier. I bet barrel distortion is the same or extremely close to G1.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the comments.
\
I called in a RMA but still have time to back out. To be honest, If I could confirm these god rays were normal for everyone I'd probably just keep it as I would like a backup for guests, and I wouldn't be interested in other HMD's.

BUT

I'm still kinda concerned that my God rays are worse than average? I mean some such as the review above and others here claim no godrays at all. Others can see it plain as day? Very very confusing. Maybe I'll return it and buy somewhere else to try again. I would like one even if it was no better than the G1, but I don't want to upgrade to worse!

Upvote 0
I've got no idea why the lenses or overall visual experience is not as good as the G1 in the new G2. It baffles me, completely. But the god rays don't surprise me considering Valve were a part of the R&D for the lens design. The Index had HORRIBLE god rays and I was super glad to be rid of them when I put the G1 on for the first time. They are not as bad, but they are there.

Upvote 0
While I am very happy with my G2, I have 2 questions I haven't been able to find the answer to online:

1) About 1 in 3 or 4 times, when a game starts the VR becomes very 'floaty' and unlocked to my seating position. With my position not being properly anchored, the image moves around. If I quit the game (AC) and reload, it usually sorts itself out. Is that normal?

2) My main criticism is the narrow field of view, which does feel like having tunnel vision. With the 3d printed gaskets (like Jewcookie) do you get more eye-fry, being closer to the screens?

It would also be nice if there was an official HP aftermarket gasket made of non-porous PU as I share the headset with the kids. Overall though I'd recommend it to anyone. The controllers are fine for me too, even though they seem unpopular.

Upvote 0
While I am very happy with my G2, I have 2 questions I haven't been able to find the answer to online:

1) About 1 in 3 or 4 times, when a game starts the VR becomes very 'floaty' and unlocked to my seating position. With my position not being properly anchored, the image moves around. If I quit the game (AC) and reload, it usually sorts itself out. Is that normal?

2) My main criticism is the narrow field of view, which does feel like having tunnel vision. With the 3d printed gaskets (like Jewcookie) do you get more eye-fry, being closer to the screens?

It would also be nice if there was an official HP aftermarket gasket made of non-porous PU as I share the headset with the kids. Overall though I'd recommend it to anyone. The controllers are fine for me too, even though they seem unpopular.

I’ve not done it yet, but plan on doing the frankenfov mod using the Samsung odyssey + gasket. You could do that for now, it’s cheap and non porous pleather is easier to wipe down and keep clean.

Upvote 0
any of you VR users find the tactile feedback messing with the headset cameras resulting in the image "vibrating"?

Make sure you're going into WMR portal at the beginning of your session. Don't go straight into SteamVR or anything else. Go into the headset and it will load the cliffhouse. Before it does this, for me on the G1 anyway, it always calibrates "look left and right, and down at the floor". If you do this each time you get into the headset it should never drift and even when you put it down and walk off for a bit, when it loses tracking it should come back once you start looking around. Occasionally it dies and does not recover tracking, but most of the time it does. You can still use the headset but once your recenter the view, you'll only have 3DOF tracking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Absolutely, bigger sweetspot as well. Just try without gasket to see.

Upvote 0
Absolutely, bigger sweetspot as well. Just try without gasket to see.

Ah, so the sweetspot is bigger too?

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. By eye-fry, I mean the drying out of your eyes you get wearing a headset, in an fatigue kind of way. The field of view improvement would of course be the main reason for changing the gasket - but does it come at a decreased eye comfort cost?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, so the sweetspot is bigger too?

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. By eye-fry, I mean the drying out of your eyes you get wearing a headset, in an fatigue kind of way. The field of view improvement would of course be the main reason for changing the gasket - but does it come at a decreased eye comfort cost?

There is no decreased eye comfort, since the focal point distance stays the same. Quite the opposite - i'd say the general cause of eye strain / fatigue is the small sweetspot, and the custom gasket makes that bigger, so less eye fatigue

Upvote 0
Hello all I'm looking for some info. I'm new to the G2 and vr Any help would be appreciate.

Pc with 5600x, 6800xt, 3600 ram Xmp set and 1800 infinity fabric. No oc or undervolting set. Updated all dribers and win 10.

Is there any setting in Windows that need to be set for better performance?

Is having xmp and infinity fabric set hurt any vr performance?

Can running Fpsvr steam app hurt performance.

There Windows portal setting and steam vr setting . is there a combo of setting so they work well together. Or is it a trial and error .

Any good links to vids or articles to help all the combo of menu options and inside tricks.

Are there any settings in Radeon Graphic that help or hinder performance.

Thank you . I've been google a lot as well . 1st Vr headset and trying to get up to speed so to speak.

Upvote 0
Hello all I'm looking for some info. I'm new to the G2 and vr Any help would be appreciate.

Pc with 5600x, 6800xt, 3600 ram Xmp set and 1800 infinity fabric. No oc or undervolting set. Updated all dribers and win 10.

Is there any setting in Windows that need to be set for better performance?

Is having xmp and infinity fabric set hurt any vr performance?

Can running Fpsvr steam app hurt performance.

There Windows portal setting and steam vr setting . is there a combo of setting so they work well together. Or is it a trial and error .

Any good links to vids or articles to help all the combo of menu options and inside tricks.

Are there any settings in Radeon Graphic that help or hinder performance.

Thank you . I've been google a lot as well . 1st Vr headset and trying to get up to speed so to speak.

So many different variables it's hard to give consistent advice that works for everyone, but I'll try.

I have no knowledge or experience with AMD products, I'll assume your system passes the minimal requirements, I'm sure someone will chime in with AMD.

Windows settings I max them out always. I have to see 90fps in VR. Many are okay with 60hz.

Fpsvr has virtually no impact in performance for me, it's fantastic.

I do overclock in bios as I noticed medium draws coming from MSI afterburner, now I bios only.

Nvidia control panel (Radeon graphic for you) and Steam vr settings is where the magic happens or hurts. You'll be spending alot of time adjusting SS in steam. I spent some time in Nvidia to get it where I wanted before I started with Steam settings. Some like to run the general Steam SS at 50%. I run general 100%, then adjust per game in the per application settings.

For example, with Assetto Corsa I max out all WMR settings, 100% Steam vr general SS, 130% Steam vr per application. This seems improbable with my PC and does involve extremely gutted settings within AC, yet it results in a very clear image at 90hz.

Some like running SOL and other higher settings in which case you'll have to turn steam SS down. It really is trial and error no two eyes are the same, we all have different tolerance levels. I cannot VR at 60hz, for those that can it's great because it gives you more headroom to turn settings up.

For now I have the G2 running very good in AC and rF2. I cannot get the madness engine to stops shimmering or UE4 to perform well. Would be helpful if you listed what sim you're trying to run.

Upvote 0
So many different variables it's hard to give consistent advice that works for everyone, but I'll try.

I have no knowledge or experience with AMD products, I'll assume your system passes the minimal requirements, I'm sure someone will chime in with AMD.

Windows settings I max them out always. I have to see 90fps in VR. Many are okay with 60hz.

Fpsvr has virtually no impact in performance for me, it's fantastic.

I do overclock in bios as I noticed medium draws coming from MSI afterburner, now I bios only.

Nvidia control panel (Radeon graphic for you) and Steam vr settings is where the magic happens or hurts. You'll be spending alot of time adjusting SS in steam. I spent some time in Nvidia to get it where I wanted before I started with Steam settings. Some like to run the general Steam SS at 50%. I run general 100%, then adjust per game in the per application settings.

For example, with Assetto Corsa I max out all WMR settings, 100% Steam vr general SS, 130% Steam vr per application. This seems improbable with my PC and does involve extremely gutted settings within AC, yet it results in a very clear image at 90hz.

Some like running SOL and other higher settings in which case you'll have to turn steam SS down. It really is trial and error no two eyes are the same, we all have different tolerance levels. I cannot VR at 60hz, for those that can it's great because it gives you more headroom to turn settings up.

For now I have the G2 running very good in AC and rF2. I cannot get the madness engine to stops shimmering or UE4 to perform well. Would be helpful if you listed what sim you're trying to run.

Thanks for all the info, this will give a good place to start from. I've been reading some conflicting info. I read in another forum that Fpsvr was hurting the fps also said any monitoring software was hurting. So just making sure I'm headed in the right direction. Games AC, AMS2, RRE, RF2 .

Upvote 0
AC runs the best out of all the sims.
AMS 2 better than PCars with shimmering but still noticeable.
RRE is one of my favorites but impossible for me to run, extremely hard on CPU.
RF2 runs great Steam general 100%, per application 70% with most settings med-high.

I'm on a 2060 super/ i5-8400

Upvote 0
@randy66 Your system is nearly identical to mine. There is no reason you will not have a good experience. You don't really need overclocking, the CPU I would not touch and if you're familiar with playing with the sliders in Radeon software, give it a go and see how much you can get out of your GPU. I can get mine pretty stable with max clock speed set to 2650 and min speed set to 2525. But this will vary card to card and you may get more or less than mine. I put power limit at max, memory at fast timing and voltage I max the slider out as well. A custom fan curve will keep the card much cooler than the stock quiet profile, mine never touches 70C under load.

So like Jason mentioned, the SteamVR SS is going to be the biggest factor. With that system you can nearly max all in game settings and just use the SS slider per game to achieve the frame target. If you're aiming for 90hz, you may need to knock a few in game settings down. I personally use 60hz so I have lots of headroom not having to render another 30 frames per second.

Windows settings, I've tried them all and I honestly cannot see a difference in either quality or performance. There seems to be no difference between upscale mode and full res mode for some reason.

Upvote 0
@randy66 Your system is nearly identical to mine. There is no reason you will not have a good experience. You don't really need overclocking, the CPU I would not touch and if you're familiar with playing with the sliders in Radeon software, give it a go and see how much you can get out of your GPU. I can get mine pretty stable with max clock speed set to 2650 and min speed set to 2525. But this will vary card to card and you may get more or less than mine. I put power limit at max, memory at fast timing and voltage I max the slider out as well. A custom fan curve will keep the card much cooler than the stock quiet profile, mine never touches 70C under load.

So like Jason mentioned, the SteamVR SS is going to be the biggest factor. With that system you can nearly max all in game settings and just use the SS slider per game to achieve the frame target. If you're aiming for 90hz, you may need to knock a few in game settings down. I personally use 60hz so I have lots of headroom not having to render another 30 frames per second.

Windows settings, I've tried them all and I honestly cannot see a difference in either quality or performance. There seems to be no difference between upscale mode and full res mode for some reason.

I hit about the same GPU oc today , good advice. The only game that I cant get running nice is raceroom. It ran better on my 2080. Not sure whats going on there but I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 60 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%