Intel 12th-Gen CPUs

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
That Torrent case is a bit of a beast in size. Almost there.....
NewHardware_7049.jpg

Edit: I've moved my Case to my office to sit and spin for a while. It may still have to wait until after Turkey Day.

The Torrent case comes with a GPU support which is interesting, but fiddly. You need to tighten it in place from the back and OOB mine wouldn't tighten all the way. It needs washers. Then you slide the arm up and down and there is a small phillips head screw to tighten at the correct height. It is as a fixed angle about 30 degrees. Then there is another slider for the support point that moves along this fixed angle that you tighten with a screw underneath.

GPUSupport_7053.jpg

Unlike Gamer's Nexus review on it, mine is not showing finger prints at all. The top and sides are a matt surface. Also the alignment at the front between the top cover and USB plate area that he was concerned about from a QC standpoint is a perfect seam.

FractalCase_7051.jpg

So no issues so far, but I'm still not sure if I'll use the GPU support they include. The Up Here looks like it may be a better product.

Last edited:
"The waiting of pleasure is a pleasure itself". Repeat it for a few hours per day. Thank me later.
That will work ;)

I'm only checking things out at this point. I haven't gone through the documentation yet. I'll probably start plugging in the fan wires and USB connector wires etc.. But I'm not pulling the PS out of the other until until I'm committed to completing this.

I didn't bolt the cooler down. This case is cavernous inside and the D15S has plenty of clearance for the GPU in the first slot. I doubt my 2080Ti will run much if any faster in a PCIE 5.0 slot. It's only designed to run PCIE 4.0, but maybe the next 40 series card will.

Despite what the MB instructions show, I plan to run all my wiring before I put the CPU fan in place, then the GPU and Up Here support. I think I've decided not to use the support that came in the box.
Torrent_7058.jpg

The legs are about 1.5" tall. I will put something under it.
Torrent_7059.jpg

I was initially concerned about cleaning the screens, but they are both very easy to get to.
Torrent_7060.jpg

Last edited:
That will work ;)

I'm only checking things out at this point. I haven't gone through the documentation yet. I'll probably start plugging in the fan wires and USB connector wires etc.. But I'm not pulling the PS out of the other until until I'm committed to completing this.

I didn't bolt the cooler down. This case is cavernous inside and the D15S has plenty of clearance for the GPU in the first slot. I doubt my 2080Ti will run much if any faster in a PCIE 5.0 slot. It's only designed to run PCIE 4.0, but maybe the next 40 series card will.

Despite what the MB instructions show, I plan to run all my wiring before I put the CPU fan in place, then the GPU and Up Here support. I think I've decided not to use the support that came in the box.
View attachment 519460

The legs are about 1.5" tall. I will put something under it.
View attachment 519462

I was initially concerned about cleaning the screens, but they are both very easy to get to.
View attachment 519463
Looks very similar to my meshify S2! I like these bigger fractal cases. My pc sits on the left of my legs, next to the wall. I wouldn't have any use for the space in front or behind it.
Longer case only means easier to reach power button and better hiding of the cable on the rear :D

I have received some parts and I am ready to update:

Current system:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 7-OP LGA 1151
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz
Video Card: EVGA RTX3080Ti
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H115i AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm Radiator
Cooling Fans: Noctua 4x NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM, 2x NF-A15 140mm
OS Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 4000MHz

New Parts:
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus Wifi D4
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix, 280mm Radiator

Cost Analysis:
Cost of updated parts = $850USD
Estimate Resale of Old parts ~ $200
Net cost up update = ~ $650USD

The only issue up in the air is the cooler stand-offs which were not included with the cooler. The MB include holes for a LGA 1200 cooler however the standoffs need to be 0.8mm lower. Ordered the new standoffs from Corsair however I do not have a confirmed delivery.

Last edited:
Looks very similar to my meshify S2! I like these bigger fractal cases. My pc sits on the left of my legs, next to the wall. I wouldn't have any use for the space in front or behind it.
Longer case only means easier to reach power button and better hiding of the cable on the rear :D
I bought my first Fractal case this year for a personal server I've thrown together... a Meshify 2 XL. This thing is an absolute monster! :geek:

The only annoyance is no HD LED... so I re-purposed the power LED. :p

Also went with Fractal (Meshify 2) earlier this year. Missed out on the release of the Torrent and would have gone with it if the option was there. Nits I have with the Meshify 2 are (i) my top USB 2.0 slots don't perfectly line up with the cover; (ii) the vertical GPU mount does not offer enough front panel clearance for 3-Slot GPUs; and (iii) concerns re: trying to install a 420mm rad up top down the road (also limits front rad to 280 if done).

Would also like Fractal to offer replacement front panels in different colors for the Meshify2 like they have for the Meshify C.

Last edited:
Here's a recent review on the Tuf Z690 which I bought.

Not the best review, but I will have to live with it.
The most concerning part is the comments on the Audio outputs, which might be important for me since I use those outputs to drive my buttkickers..... starting at about 4:00 is the commentary on the audio outputs.

Now, I have to think. I have 100 days window to return it (if needed), so I'll wait for a few more reviews to show up to see if this is a real issue, or not.

Last edited:

The most concerning part is the comments on the Audio outputs, which might be important for me since I use those outputs to drive my buttkickers..... starting at about 4:00 is the commentary on the audio outputs.

Now, I have to think. I have 100 days window to return it (if needed), so I'll wait for a few more reviews to show up to see if this is a real issue, or not.

I also have this board. I have not installed the board yet since I don't have an adaptor for the cooler yet.

I have a nice audio card I can install if needed. I also have a butt kicker. I use the output from one of my monitors to feed the butt kicker amp.

• Deleted member 197115

Nice, I am going for this one.

Attachments

• 1637738144_ddr5_corsair_dominator_4x16_$5000_ebay_(via_pcmag)_story.jpg
    1637738144_ddr5_corsair_dominator_4x16_$5000_ebay_(via_pcmag)_story.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Good luck getting DDR5 RAM for your Alder Lake PC, up to $5,000 scalper prices seen on eBay

DDR5 availability and cost is what drove me to get a relatively inexpensive motherboard and reuse my DDR4.

Other than winning the NewEgg Lottery.... Best way to get a full z690 system with DDR5 and quality components for a "reasonable" price is to go with a System Integrator. AVADirect, Origin, and Maingear have the products.... not scalper pricing but probably 20%+ MSRP when all is over and done. For example, Corsair Dominator DDR5 5200 CL38 is in-stock to config for $337 from AVADirect. Something you can mock up on PC Part Picker for around $3k will cost $3.5 - 4k from an integrator.

Would also be careful going with discount integrators such as iBuyPower, CyberPower, BLD, Redux, etc... recent reviews have shown their component selection and QC to be sub-par. Alienware also has serious issues and should be avoided. The GamersNexus series on pre-builts is highly informative and will show why you should avoid the aforementioned companies.

N.B. I went with AVADirect earlier this year. They have the most granular configurator and huge product selection for every component.... Z690 desktop config page:

Last edited:
Entry level ddr4 board is plenty to get the most out of the platform at this stage. Ddr5 that you actually want without 400+ price tags is a while away sadly.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%