Interview: Reiza Studios unveils its crowdfunding plans

1669787_10153429244482743_3901168639409614507_o.jpg

When Reiza announced that June would have been a great month for Game Stock Car Extreme, we figured it was the right time to have a chat with the Brazilian dev team. We got in touch with studio boss Renato Simioni, and it seems like our timing was perfect indeed...

RaceDepartment: Let's start with something more general. I think the last couple of years have seen some kind of mainstream resurgence of the racing sim - after being relegated to a niche for several years, blockbusters like Project Cars and Assetto Corsa brought back the genre to the forefront. What do you think of the current simracing panorama, and how can things evolve from here?

Renato Simioni: Interest in realistic racers does seem to be increasing - most importantly it seems there's been some osmosis from the console userbase to the PC. Up until very recently there used to be this dichotomy where console racers (which at least marketed themselves for realism) were extremely popular and sold by the millions, while PC sims were this ultra-small hardcore niche. These days, due to a variety of factors, the gap between these markets seem to have been bridged somewhat, which is a very good thing. As technology continues to evolve and the scope for game development becomes greater, so do the costs involved, so it's very important that the simracing market grows to sustain these developments and push us to the next level.

RD: Steam is clearly the leading digital distribution platform for games, so it's an important gateway to a whole new audience. How did the GSCE Steam launch go?

Reiza: It went very well, and is still going remarkably well considering we're working with titles initially released almost 2 year ago. In hindsight we clearly underestimated how much of a role Steam has in the PC gaming market place, otherwise we'd have pushed to make the move sooner. Fortunately it does not seem like we made the move too late.

RD: GSCE is fairly unique because of its stock content - it's based on a relatively obscure racing series, with an unusual but fantastic selection of cars and tracks, yet it has managed to find a global audience. Are you going to include more Brazilian content, or perhaps focus on some other racing series in the future?

Reiza: As GSC evolved, it has become less about giving the content a proper context, and more about delivering great driving & racing experiences, which is really what simracing is mostly about. At the core though it still has Stock Car Brasil, or the brazilian racing scene in general as its main theme, so while context may no longer be required for adittional content, we still feel it is valuable to have at least some complete real-life series in the package.

11406475_10153429244622743_2011567790562124653_o.jpg

RD: After PCars (and now PCars 2) using the WMD platform and Assetto Corsa using Early Access, would you consider using any kind of crowdfunding or Early Access?

Reiza: Crowdfunding is certainly a valuable path, and actually something we are just about to experiment to try raise additional funds to continue developing GSCE further. Personally I'm not big on the idea of giving people access to alpha builds and such. While I can see how having that insight and the option (even if merely illusory) of helping develop the game is an appealing novelty to some, as an user myself I prefer my initial contact with a creative project to be with something that at least resembles the finished article. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences derived from trying a game or a sim for the first time, so I feel lifting the curtains too early can spoil that magic somewhat. Thus as a developer it's unlikely we'd elect to go in that direction ourselves. Open betas at a later stage of development on the other hand are very possible, given the nature of most sims these days where development is always ongoing and that initial platform is built on for years, whatever the initial release is it's bound to evolve substantially anyway so you might as well release it and get a revenue stream to boost that development. So long as the core features are in place and functioning properly.

RD
: Any news or details on that rumored Senna game?

Reiza: Can't share much yet, but there will be a lot more info about it before the end of the year. One thing I could advance is that while Ayrton Senna will certainly be part of our next project, its scope has probably become too broad now to call it "the Senna game".

RD
:
You've said that June is going to be a great month for GSCE. Can we get some kind of sneak peek at what's cooking in the Reiza kitchen?

Reiza: The base of the announcement is that we have licensed the ISI Motor source code, and while that's especially relevant to development of our next title, it can also have some impact into the current titles and that is what has driven us to launch a crowdfunding campaign. Our goal with the campaign, which starts tomorrow, will basically be to raise the funds to further develop GSCE (and also FTruck), making it a bigger & better simracing platform, before we wrap it up for good and shift focus to the development of our next title.

RD: Something more personal: what's your favorite car\track combo in simracing, and why?

Reiza: All our cars and all our tracks really. Bit of an obvious reply I guess but if you consider how much time we look into various cars & tracks before we elect to develop them - precisely because we figure these will provide great experiences - and then how much time we spend developing & polishing them, picking favorites becomes almost like choosing one of your own children.. Naturally the ones coming up the pipeline at any given time have the focus so right now I'm very fond of tossing the SuperV8 around Montreal, hah.

RD: Thank you for your time.

Reiza's Crowdfunding campaign is now live on Indiegogo, while the update for Game Stock Car Extreme will be released on June 26.

Last edited:
That's okay, but you should be mindful of what you say, as physics are a science/engineering "thang", so to some degree, the data trumps personal opinion, but obviously there's more to it than that, which is why I rate sims based on their combo of physics and ffb.

Games like GTR EVO, netkar pro/SCE etc all have a excellent combo of physics and ffb, however, games like AC aren't as precise and I also have issues with weight transfer and lateral feel.....but don't get me wrong, I still drive AC, but I think SCE is in a league of it's own these days{at least with my G27}.
thats the thing, there isnt really much hard data. we know 0-60 times, stuff like that, but how the cars & tires really perform on the limit...i think its mostly visual cues these guys go off of. maybe iracing gets some data prohibited to others, but despite that i find -- or have found, until the recent tire model update -- their physics to be the least convincing of all, in terms of emulating what i imagine it would be like to drive a race car. i think thats almost all in the tires which are a constant WIP, & constantly improving (or so it seems to me) -- you can now slip around a bit in almost any car, & its not a death sentence! dunno how many watched the last f1 race, but pastor maldonado lost control at high speed, countersteered in a..well, very normal human life fashion + reaction time, and instantly regained full grip. i just dont believe driving these cars at speed is as difficult as some sims make it out to be. since we're on the topic, i think reiza pretty well nails it; AC does a nice job; rf2 adds a lot of depth but imo is too punishing (isi cars, anyway -- third party cars are almost never a problem for some reason). pcars i see as, and i hate to say this, but an rf2-life in terms of physics. its SO similar imo, especially with the new cpm rf2 has rolled out; the tires even feel the same scrubbing against the tarmac, although pcars doesn much care & rf2 punishes you severely here. pcars to me feels closest to a urd mod in rf2 that has even more degrees of slip before tires are considred to lose grip, making it easier than any other sim to correct errors.

@yup..

i pretty much agree with what you said in a round about way. But theres a limit in pcars you can go over and then the sim/game doesnt make sense.

I recently drove a formula renualt, and the first thing thats struck me was the grip!!! wow grip low speed high speed just phenomenal!!! Rf2 still for me struggles with slow corner/hairpin corner grip. But im not keen on the open wheelers ffb on my t300 gets Just too loose, but i know why that is. You need a super expensive wheel to replicate real world forces. Pcars doesnt seem to have this problem, probs down to the seta tyre model not being gmotor, and them compressing much more ffb into consumer wheels.

But they all have got their pros and cons. Physics wise and realism wise. Its just what you can tolerate more. Rf2 AI is the best in the business though. Gsc is a little behind. But i will end on saying i prefer the driving feel in gsce with ffb than rf2. dunno something feels more natural in gsce. But it has realroad and CPM

Last edited:
Oh man, finally i can stop pretending being patient about the Opalas :D.
Most anticipated thing in simracing for me since the release of the Vees, for a start i'll throw 20 Euro into your crowdfunding as a payment for those shoeboxes :thumbsup:.

Loving the fact that you keep going with SCE, i'll most probably contribute again when i stop licking my financial wounds after ordering an OSW, which i did today. Since Niels is running a Bodnar i expect it to be fantastic with your sim :).

Thanks Reiza!

Any minute now!

And I'm wondering if this new build that's gonna be released later today already has improvements based on ISI Motor source code.

Push it to the limits, Reiza!

Last edited:
thats the thing, there isnt really much hard data. we know 0-60 times, stuff like that, but how the cars & tires really perform on the limit...i think its mostly visual cues these guys go off of. maybe iracing gets some data prohibited to others, but despite that i find -- or have found, until the recent tire model update -- their physics to be the least convincing of all, in terms of emulating what i imagine it would be like to drive a race car. i think thats almost all in the tires which are a constant WIP, & constantly improving (or so it seems to me) -- you can now slip around a bit in almost any car, & its not a death sentence! dunno how many watched the last f1 race, but pastor maldonado lost control at high speed, countersteered in a..well, very normal human life fashion + reaction time, and instantly regained full grip. i just dont believe driving these cars at speed is as difficult as some sims make it out to be. since we're on the topic, i think reiza pretty well nails it; AC does a nice job; rf2 adds a lot of depth but imo is too punishing (isi cars, anyway -- third party cars are almost never a problem for some reason). pcars i see as, and i hate to say this, but an rf2-life in terms of physics. its SO similar imo, especially with the new cpm rf2 has rolled out; the tires even feel the same scrubbing against the tarmac, although pcars doesn much care & rf2 punishes you severely here. pcars to me feels closest to a urd mod in rf2 that has even more degrees of slip before tires are considred to lose grip, making it easier than any other sim to correct errors.
Don't wake the dragon lol.I agree with everything you just said.But you may get some disagrees from the master race.

ha, dont particularly care about that, esp if the reasons for the disagreement are given (hint hint guy who disagreed ;D). i do want to clarify what i meant by not liking to refer to pcars as rf2-liTe (no idea why i apparently typed 'life') -- purely because i think its unfair to pcars, which has an entirely independent tire model etc. its just that of the major sims, aside from tire wear it feels the most like rf2 to me, albeit rf2 given some very clever assists. not meant to be a knock on either one, i find both fascinating, but theyre both at such extremes i figure the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Just as a friendly reminder, remember that Race Department has lots of active racing going on in the SCE racing club. There are not only the EU timing, but also US timing races as well. Come on and sign up! I know many on here participate in the club races and know how great the racing can be, and for those who haven't yet, it is well worth it! (While this may be a shameless plug, I don't have any affiliation other than being someone who has participated in SCE racing here at RD and has REALLY enjoyed it and want to share that with others and further increase participation)

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/stock-car-extreme-racing-club-leagues.81/

Graphics do matter, but they aren't enough to make a racing sim game stand.

What makes a good racing sim game is its overall experience with graphics, sounds, physics, ffb, AI, rules and features on a personal level.

Me, for instance, I can't stand more than 10 minutes on AC because of the AI, unless I'm hotlapping and enjoying the game's physics and FFB. But I can lost track of time when playing R3E and SCE because they're fun and offers a better overall experience. As for PCARS, SMS lost my trust and respect and I'm waiting for a sale to try it.

SCE doesn't look as good as PCARS or AC, but it's far from being an ugly game.

Also, try my ReShade (SweetFX-like) preset: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/wedges-visions-reshade-mastereffect.5700/

</ shameless promotion :D> But really, it improves the game's graphics a lot imho :)

Graphics have also some drawbacks. You can run GSC in a triple screen all at max. Not really possible in pcars for an average PC. But I agree that graphics are part of the sim. Sometimes with new sims, we could think it is easier to develop graphics rather than physics. Well, itis probably true anyway.
and this is exactly what I was saying, so called "true sim races" for which graphics isn't that important are also often those with average GPUs who couldn't run it with great graphics , for various reason as well as the one you describe.

if GSC had pCARS graphics, would it make it less of a sim ?? no
but would people sudenly complain about it more ? yes - because they wouldn't be able to run it as smooth as they can at the moment

but this complain shouldn't therefore support oppinion - "yeah, graphics isn't important"
you think people would enjoy this ? if the physics as as good as GSC is ?

http://www.2-game.be/games/Toca Touring Car Championship 1.jpg

I mean yes, some people really wouldn't mind, but defintely not majority
sims are getting more and more equal to each other, so the graphics can be quite a bit decision maker - and both ways, peope with good gpu will go for nicer one, whereas people with average one woudl rather stay with the less advanced one, just to make sure they their FPS stays solid, since it's more important then to see blades of grass

but again, that doesn't mean that graphics isn't important

Wow, stunning news. Thank you SMS for starting a positive trend in the sim racing genre. Shining up the credit card as we speak!:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not (can't tell on the internet!), but it should be said that Reiza has been investigating crowdfunding for a while now. It's very likely a coincidence that this is happening on the week of the backlash about PCars2.

@Msportdan : it's still 3pm in Brazil :) Let's wait for more news!

Graphics do matter, but they aren't enough to make a racing sim game stand.

What makes a good racing sim game is its overall experience with graphics, sounds, physics, ffb, AI, rules and features on a personal level.

Me, for instance, I can't stand more than 10 minutes on AC because of the AI, unless I'm hotlapping and enjoying the game's physics and FFB. But I can lost track of time when playing R3E and SCE because they're fun and offers a better overall experience. As for PCARS, SMS lost my trust and respect and I'm waiting for a sale to try it.

SCE doesn't look as good as PCARS or AC, but it's far from being an ugly game.

Also, try my ReShade (SweetFX-like) preset: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/wedges-visions-reshade-mastereffect.5700/

</ shameless promotion :D> But really, it improves the game's graphics a lot imho :)
your tweaks looks pretty good,
see? ..it's not that hard to improve it at least a bit, so why shouldn't reiza put this in the game by themslef and they have to have someone do this for them ??

yes, graphics is probably not their focus, which for people with average GPU is fine because it's not important. But if someone with good GPU is looking for new sim and is choosing between rF2 or GSC or even AC or pCARS, what are the chances that he will pick the one that looks most old of them ?

yes physics this and physics that, but if you have people that say Ac is the best, pCars is the best, rF2 is the best and GSC is the best, and each also has a huge antifan saying that it's not true at all, .. then it's really going to be subjective decission based on the overal package

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 187 66.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 120 42.9%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 129 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 54 19.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 77 27.5%
Back