Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Gtr2 got VR and Crew Chief implemented by the guys from Crew Chief and it is super.
http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?2012-GTR2-Setup-Instructions-and-Known-Issues

There are also a thread here on RD\Gtr2

Now I am biased as Gtr2 are still my favorite sim but I believe most if not all will be very positive surprised how well it works and how good it looks.

Just wanted to share some initial thoughts on the Reverb G1:

Holy crap the resolution is high. iRacing looks even better in VR than it did on the rift S and that was a high bar to beat.
ACC runs like garbage, but I recommend using VR low as a base, and slowly increasing settings until you feel the framerate take a hit.
For me, the biggest hit was the super-sampling in-game. Setting the resolution scalar to 100% makes it run choppy and slow, but my GPU is only a 5700(XT) so I think with a better GPU I'd have a better experience.
AMS2 however runs great in VR even with settings set relatively high. The Madness engine, despite having major issues (Especially with defining my inputs...) seems to be very well optimized for VR.
The tracking is pretty good, although admittedly I haven't raced for more than 30 minutes using it and I don't have a motion system, but my SC2 doesn't seem to affect tracking at all and I'm not doing any crazy grounding stuff with my cockpit.

I know everyone here is raving about the G2, but at less than half the price, and since I only really use VR for racing, I felt that G1 was worth a try.

I'm going to attempt to modify the cable though and build my own prescription glasses inserts using my 3D printer and some leftover glasses I have from my "people say you look ugly in those" box. The cable is simply awful... Whoever thought the connection "box" should be at the length it's at, should be ridiculed for their incompetence.

• Deleted member 197115

Try to switch to 60Hz mode, it takes a bit while for eyes to get used to due to some flickering, but it's like 33% more power you can use for higher settings and SS.

Try to switch to 60Hz mode, it takes a bit while for eyes to get used to due to some flickering, but it's like 33% more power you can use for higher settings and SS.
I'm wondering if a 3070 is enough to drive it with higher settings or if I should wait and see if the 3080 Ti/3070 Ti brings down prices. But given how high the demand is, I doubt a 3070 Ti will even release or that a 3080 Ti will be low enough in price to bring down the 3080 price. AMD cards are good, but not good enough to pressure Nvidia to change prices since AMD just tried to slot their GPU's in at the same price points.

I'm wondering if a 3070 is enough to drive it with higher settings or if I should wait and see if the 3080 Ti/3070 Ti brings down prices. But given how high the demand is, I doubt a 3070 Ti will even release or that a 3080 Ti will be low enough in price to bring down the 3080 price. AMD cards are good, but not good enough to pressure Nvidia to change prices since AMD just tried to slot their GPU's in at the same price points.

I think for most sims, except ACC, the 3070 will allow good graphics and 90fps. I ran a 2070 super with the G1 and was very happy with iRacing and Assetto Corsa, found AMS2, pcars2 and RF2 ok whilst I could never find settings that ACC would run well or look good enough.

The 3070 seems to match the 2080ti so I'd expect a decent improvement from your current gpu.

I think for most sims, except ACC, the 3070 will allow good graphics and 90fps. I ran a 2070 super with the G1 and was very happy with iRacing and Assetto Corsa, found AMS2, pcars2 and RF2 ok whilst I could never find settings that ACC would run well or look good enough.

The 3070 seems to match the 2080ti so I'd expect a decent improvement from your current gpu.

In the ACC sub forum there is a discussion of VR settings and performance. Grab Speedracers zip file and install as described. It was enough to get 90 fps in VR on my Odyssey+ and 3080 and I clearly have some headroom and hopefully with only minor tweaks on the graphics you can make the 3070 playable as well. VR is doable with the Ampere's, its not perfect the game looks soft but its adequate to produce a more than enjoyable and importantly not stuck in ASW.

That (above) is correct. I'm running my Rift S with 3080, and the best result is gained by using some of the tuned settings you can find on the ACC forum. I'm actually using Andrew's (thanks!) with a few modifications. Just running something like VR High gives you more blurry picture and it's harder to run.

Thanks for this. After a coupe of months I will try ACC in VR again. Still waiting for my Reverb G2 so have to try it with the Oculus CV.

Meanwhile I've seen multiple videos about the poor controller tracking of the Reverb G2...Hopefully it can be fixed with some software updates but I think it has to do with the four camera's on the headset itself. It is easy to go out of sight easily. Anyone already played e.g. Asgarths Wrath on the Reverb G2? How to reload when you have to put your controller above and behind your head? Does it work?

Some advise to use other controllers e.g. the Vive but does that solve the poor camera tracking?
I guess using my Oculus controllers with the external tracking devices do not work together with the Reverb G2?

I received my G2 7 days ago.
My pc spec / 2080ti/i7-8700 16GB
I play only rfactor2 with high-medium setting
I’m getting 85-90 FPS .
I’m coming from oculus S.
It seems that HP put 90% of their attention/work on the lenses . The resolution and image quality is unmatched. Everything looks crisp and clear.No display door effect at all.
It’s a very light headset and this a another positive point but I didn’t find it comfortable for big heads like mine.

I don’t like the headphones. The audio quality isn’t great and I dint like them not setting over my ears. With my motion system and shakers and simwind there is a lot of ambient noises and with these headphone you hear all that and you lose a lot of immersion. I bought the Razer Nari essential and it’s day and night.
The biggest disappointment for me is the FOV. Damn it seems even smaller than the oculus S. The reviews said it’s 98 but for me it doesn’t arrive to 86.
I honestly expected more for the price point . For now I’m keeping it because there isn’t a better alternate on the market.
I forgot to mention that with my motion system the tracking is perfect... no cockpit drifts at all.

• Deleted member 197115

I could get mine to 98 only after modding face gasket as stock one was too narrow keeping eyes too far away from lenses. Hopefully we'll see some aftermarket solution soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon.

Yep, the HTC Cosmos....

I'm aware the tracking on it isn't the best and I'm also aware that there have been firmware updates to improve it but not by much. I'm only interested in VR for sim racing and my previous VR headsets the vive, cv1 and Rift S all tracked very well. My question is, is it only the hand controller tracking of the HTC Cosmos (not elite version) which is the problem as I only need the headset to drive with and not the controller.

Hoping it goes in a heavily discounted sale after Xmas. If anyone is using one would appreciate the feedback

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

If anyone into flight simulators

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 486 69.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 298 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 322 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 150 21.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 193 27.5%
Back