Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

Wow, MS and VR relationships are getting more complicated than ever.
Looks like WMR might stay for longer, but with MS abandoning projects mid stream you never know.
Surprised we do not see new headsets from ex HW partners, where is Samsung?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like WMR might stay for longer, but with MS abandoning projects mid stream you never know.
.. but guessing can be fun. HP and M$ have a long and deep relationship, particularly on the imaging side.
There was quite a lot of noise about M$ support for G2...
I suppose M$ expects augmented and mixed realities to eventually have big commercial payoff,
but meanwhile mass market VR pays the bills. They can write off R&D costs against WMR.
Surprised we do not see new headsets from ex HW partners, where is Samsung?
My understanding is that Odyssey HMD was nominally U.S.-only.
When I worked for a company that competed with some Samsung electronics,
we were surprised how many small variations they might offer on a product,
then eventually abandon a line altogether, e.g. digital cameras. I suspect other WMR hardware developers
felt that M$ burned them, promoting largely equivalent commodity HMDs, competing in too small a market.

Anybody got an idea if the 3090 or the 6900XT is a better card for VR simracing? Running Index. Also concerning CPU, is the 10900K or the 5950X the better card for simracing? Or should I wait for Intel 11th Gen? Damn.. my 1080Ti and 6850K are really struggling nowadays... but I could still wait a couple of months...

Anybody got an idea if the 3090 or the 6900XT is a better card for VR simracing? Running Index. Also concerning CPU, is the 10900K or the 5950X the better card for simracing? Or should I wait for Intel 11th Gen? Damn.. my 1080Ti and 6850K are really struggling nowadays... but I could still wait a couple of months...

Alienbabeltech has been testing VR and universally Nvidia is better there. Right now Nvidia has more advanced tech like SPS for iRacing than AMD does. Not that I think the 3090 is a good buy, it is far too expensive for the gain over the 3080.

As far as I know the 5950x is the better CPU for VR and racing now. Dan Suzuki did some testing of the Ryzen CPUs and found them quicker than Intel in some of the sim racing titles.

Alienbabeltech has been testing VR and universally Nvidia is better there. Right now Nvidia has more advanced tech like SPS for iRacing than AMD does. Not that I think the 3090 is a good buy, it is far too expensive for the gain over the 3080.

As far as I know the 5950x is the better CPU for VR and racing now. Dan Suzuki did some testing of the Ryzen CPUs and found them quicker than Intel in some of the sim racing titles.

Great info, thanks! Yea the 3090 is criminally expensive, waiting for the 3080Ti then. Ok so 5950X. One day I might ever see 120Hz mode on my Index... one day..

HP Reverb G1 report:
I sent my last G1 back to HP for having a broken audio cable, moved houses, now have a dedicated office for my sim rig (I work from home full time).
I don't know if it's the replacement headset, or the new dedicated area (less reflections or something) but I used the Reverb G1 for iRacing with my RTX 3070. 100% resolution in Steam VR settings, all the video quality on high, I did a Skip Barber race + qualifying, which is about 45 minutes from session start to checkered flag.

I never had one tracking issue at all. The visual fidelity is insanely good, and the framerate was incredible.
I've also tested Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 and it's the first time I feel like I'm actually sitting in a car when I drive. I don't have to squint to look far into the distance.

I'm still tweaking settings, but for the price I paid for the G1 ($220 with 1.5 years of warranty left), I feel like it was a solid investment. I'm way happier with it than my Rift S.

The Rift S had considerable issues with me having to reset my Guardian and sometimes not starting smoothly in SteamVR/OpenVR. Plus the controller batteries always died. I don't know if it's WMR power saving, but my WMR Reverb controllers are on the same batteries for over a few weeks now and still haven't died.

Also, by disabling SteamVR in Steam app settings as recommended by many people in the Reverb G2 thread, I can smoothly start SteamVR races and get into the application quickly without any headaches. The best part is, for some reason, I don't have the same issues with the VR "window" being behind my neck or out of reach and having to map "reset HMD" before I can see the UI. Even iRacing (which always started all the way to my right and above my head on the Rift S) consistently starts right in front of my face.

Compared to Oculus, I think it's easier to "full time" with WMR, because the virtual desktop + higher resolution means you can start your games, change DD settings on True Drive all from WMR and it smoothly transitions to SteamVR from there.

The one complaint I have, is that the cable is quite stiff and can feel uncomfortable to turn my head while driving. I'm going to 3D print a cable caddy for behind my seat that will keep it above my neck line.

Another area that surprised me is the speakers. I expected them to be garbage, but they're way better than the Rift S ones.

Another area that could be better is the adjustment straps to the left and right. I'm not sure if those were resolved with the G2, but they're kind of a pain to loosen and adjust and they always accidentally fasten the velcro before I've adjusted them.
For me, the Reverb G1 is better than the Rift S in every way, except controller tracking/controller quality. I will say, that if something like the Reverb G2 is released that's 100% compatible with Index/Vive/SteamVR, that's "next gen" VR and with another triple A title and maybe a $600 price tag including base stations, could bring VR back into the mainstream. Of course, we'd have to resolve the GPU shortage too...

Last edited:

As far as i know the 3090 is the absolute king, at insanely expensive rates.

But i got one anyway since it does give me the piece of mind knowing there's nothing faster available out there. There wasn't a decent priced 3080 available anywhere and i got kind of tired watching all the webshops.

For gaming on the 49" ultrawide the good old 2080ti was more than fast enough, but in VR you need all the power you can get.

I think i made a pretty decent deal since after selling my 2080Ti, the upgrade only set me back € 700,-

This is still a lot cash but certainly do-able.

It's not the best overclocking card, but the clocks and temps are ok i guess :)

Hoping for an Index 2 in 2021

For me, the Reverb G1 is better than the Rift S in every way,
except controller tracking/controller quality.
Which model G1 do you have, e.g. 7DH4OUT or 5QB37AA or 7FU78PA?
Earlier version reportedly had more issues than did later ones,
but I have yet to see that broken out by model numbers..
I will say, that if something like the Reverb G2
is released that's 100% compatible with Index/Vive/SteamVR, that's "next gen" VR
My guess: HP wants to also market into government and commercial enterprises e.g. in Microsoft bids, so will stick with WMR and the WMR-for-SteamVR shim.

Last edited:
As far as i know the 3090 is the absolute king, at insanely expensive rates.

But i got one anyway since it does give me the piece of mind knowing there's nothing faster available out there. There wasn't a decent priced 3080 available anywhere and i got kind of tired watching all the webshops.

For gaming on the 49" ultrawide the good old 2080ti was more than fast enough, but in VR you need all the power you can get.

I think i made a pretty decent deal since after selling my 2080Ti, the upgrade only set me back € 700,-

This is still a lot cash but certainly do-able.

It's not the best overclocking card, but the clocks and temps are ok i guess :)

Hoping for an Index 2 in 2021

Impressive! Yes 700€ for such an upgrade is a good deal. May I ask what SS you are typically running on your Index? And what CPU are you using? I'm still not decided in buying the 5950X now (for friggin 1000€!) or wait for what Intel has to offer soon, or maybe next gen AMD..

Impressive! Yes 700€ for such an upgrade is a good deal. May I ask what SS you are typically running on your Index? And what CPU are you using? I'm still not decided in buying the 5950X now (for friggin 1000€!) or wait for what Intel has to offer soon, or maybe next gen AMD..

Still trying to find the sweet spot in terms of performance but in general between 150 and 180%
I'm using a I9700K @5Ghz.

Which model G1 do you have, e.g. 7DH4OUT or 5QB37AA or 7FU78PA?
Earlier version reportedly had more issues than did later ones,
but I have yet to see that broken out by model numbers..

My guess: HP wants to also market into government and commercial enterprises e.g. in Microsoft bids, so will stick with WMR and the WMR-for-SteamVR shim.

None of those? lol.
Mine is 6DU19AA which is apparently unique to Japan since it says "HP Reverb VR 1000-230jp Headset JPN2" on the box.

Took plunge into VR and have Quest 2 arriving soon. Can anyone please tell me if the PCs desktop resolution impacts on the performance when in VR? I have triple screens so have desktop set to 5760 by 1080. I'll be connecting to my Quest 2 with usb c to usb c cable to my RTX2080 so will my desktop set to 5760 by 1080 cause any problems?

Took plunge into VR and have Quest 2 arriving soon. Can anyone please tell me if the PCs desktop resolution impacts on the performance when in VR? I have triple screens so have desktop set to 5760 by 1080. I'll be connecting to my Quest 2 with usb c to usb c cable to my RTX2080 so will my desktop set to 5760 by 1080 cause any problems?
Depends on the game (uuuh sim ;) ). Some* use the native 2D screen resolution for the menu and the in game HUD.
* Second thought: I think all the known titles use this 2D resolution for menu --> AC, ACC, R3E, rF2
Not familiar with IRacing? Also keep in mind the VR aspect ratio is different vs triple screen (or like my 32:9 screen). I set the resolution to 1920x1080 or a 16:10 equivalent. Hope it helps?

PS Are you familiar with VR? Is a real immersion game changer despite it cannot match the 2D screen details (yet).
I moved from Oculus CV1 to Reverb G2. I have a RTX30 series GPU but still have to tweak down a lot of graphic settings to get a stable FPS (not even 90FPS). But so joyful to sit in your 'own' car. Enjoy!!

Last edited:
The simple answer to the question, is no. You can run whatever resolution on the monitor and it should not have a negative impact on VR. The only thing as mentioned is that it does affect the size of the in game HUD and some other things. For instance, in rF2, if you have the resolution set to anything above 1920x1080 in game, you'll break your neck looking around the menu as it's scaled so large to match that higher resolution.

For me personally, I never change the resolution of my desktop when going into VR for performance reasons. If you run a mirror on the screen, this may be a different story but I do not so I'd not know.

• Deleted member 197115

The simple answer to the question, is no. You can run whatever resolution on the monitor and it should not have a negative impact on VR. The only thing as mentioned is that it does affect the size of the in game HUD and some other things. For instance, in rF2, if you have the resolution set to anything above 1920x1080 in game, you'll break your neck looking around the menu as it's scaled so large to match that higher resolution.

For me personally, I never change the resolution of my desktop when going into VR for performance reasons. If you run a mirror on the screen, this may be a different story but I do not so I'd not know.
It depends on the title. In general mirror is using already prerendered for HMD image, but Madness Engine for instance renders screen image separately (reason VSync is recommended with titles based on it).
I believe that in AC higher mirror resolution had negative impact on performance too.
From this source it sounds like while impact from copying already prerendered image is negligible, there is still some overhead from filling pixels for different render target that goes up with larger targets.

EDIT: Realized that we are talking about desktop, not mirror resolution. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case one exception with desktop resolution and VR performance.

In Dirt Rally 2 setting the desktop to my 49" Samsung at 5120x1440@120Hz produces a frametime spike every 30 to 60 seconds.

If i switch screens to my 40" philips 4K@60Hz i have smooth VR experience with no stutters at all.

It took me a realy realy long time to find out that having the desktop on the Samsung was causing the stutters.

I'll go with setting my resolution to 1920x1080 to avoid any menu issues in the hud.

My first use of vr as avoided until I had better graphics card than my 980ti. The 2080 I have now will do until stocks/prices improve for latest Nvidia or AMD then may invest in newer GPU. Looking forward to trying various games not just sim racing as have hotas setup for flight sims.

I'll go with setting my resolution to 1920x1080 to avoid any menu issues in the hud.

My first use of vr as avoided until I had better graphics card than my 980ti. The 2080 I have now will do until stocks/prices improve for latest Nvidia or AMD then may invest in newer GPU. Looking forward to trying various games not just sim racing as have hotas setup for flight sims.
I run a 2080 with i7-9900, just finished a session of DCS then. Takes a bit of tinkering to get it running well, but that's more of an issue with the game than the hardware. I settle for 45fps reprojection at the airport then 90fps (minor fluctuations) on the runway and in the air. Forget MS2020, X-plane 11 works well though.

My reverb G2 showed up completely out of the blue yesterday. I wasn't excepting it to ship until February according to the reddit thread, never even got a dispatch notification to say it was on the way, so a complete surprise.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. The 3080 card hasn't come yet so I'm running it on a 2070 super, and the card is just about able to run it. Of course I jumped straight into ACC, just went with the VR low setting, did a practice run and was able to get 90fps. While there's a lot of pop in the increase in resolution is worth it, even on 2070. I felt like it even ran smoother in some places than the oculus CV1. Watching cars pass by in replay works better on the G2 for some reason. Its far from perfect though, there are stutters and dropped frames (mostly in replays) in car while driving it's perfectly playable. Can't wait to stick the 3080 in and see what it can really do. Even at VR low I had to reduce settings further. But the resolution! It's not as shocking as using the rift for the first time was. This is the resolution VR needs as a minimum, things are clear and readable, while you can still see the pixels it's no worse than sitting in front of a 1080 display.

As an upgrade from the oculus I think it was worth it, even when scaling things back it's a better image than the rift CV1. It's right on the limits of what can be gotten out of a 2070 Super though.

Quest 2 arrived and got it all setup both WiFi and on link cable. I installed the Oculus app on my PC and used its virtual desktop to launch couple of titles. Ran Dirt 2 from steam after setting in game graphic settings to 1920 by 1080 and it ran in vr first time. Did same for flight sim IL-2 but that ran in a window in oculus virtual desktop not vr. Anyone, have an idea what I am doing wrong? Should i buy Virtualdesktop wired app on oculus store and use that to launch games from steam not the oculus virtual desktop. Probably something simple I've missed.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 305 68.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 197 44.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 215 48.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 90 20.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 118 26.5%
Back