Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I keep reading and watching videos saying how the Valve Deckard is going to be "everything".

I love my Valve Index and they make a great product, but I still think people are starting to pin all their dreams on this headset.

"Valve reportedly has two designs for the virtual reality headset, one that connects to a PC and one that can be used without any cables Video game company Valve is secretly working on a virtual reality headset codenamed “Deckard”, according to leaks and a new report."

What I've read so far the Valve Deckard could have.....

1. Built in graphics processing
2. Stand alone capability
3. Possible wireless to PC
4. Wired to PC
5. Eye tracking
6. Foveated Rendering
7. Auto IPD
8. Micro OLED panels.
10. Runs inside out
11. Also runs with base stations if you want the best possible tracking.

It's got to have more resolution, but how much? Some are saying 4K per eye, but based on what?

FOV? Some are suggesting they've changed the orientation of the new micro OLED panels to get more FOV.

Rumor Mill craziness :p

• Deleted member 197115

I also read that with Steam Deck being a priority for Valve they will not have production capacity and components to handle Deckard launch for at least another year. So hopefully 2023.

I think my setup with a G2 is fine for now. I can barely run the thing so more resolution isn't going to be attractive to me for the foreseeable future. Having splashed out on a 3080 (the most I've ever spent on a card and I got it at MSRP) I will skip the next generation of cards. I know they'll have a lot of power but it will probably be the generation after the next one before developers are in a position to really take advantage of that extra power.

My plan is to skip the next generation of everything and wait for the human eye resolution to become the standard and also wait for hardware that can actually run those resolutions to become the norm. I'm guessing that the 5000 series at best.

A hybrid solution with rendering on both the PC and the HMD would could bring big performance gains.

I keep reading and watching videos saying how the Valve Deckard is going to be "everything".

I love my Valve Index and they make a great product, but I still think people are starting to pin all their dreams on this headset.

"Valve reportedly has two designs for the virtual reality headset, one that connects to a PC and one that can be used without any cables Video game company Valve is secretly working on a virtual reality headset codenamed “Deckard”, according to leaks and a new report."

What I've read so far the Valve Deckard could have.....

1. Built in graphics processing
2. Stand alone capability
3. Possible wireless to PC
4. Wired to PC
5. Eye tracking
6. Foveated Rendering
7. Auto IPD
8. Micro OLED panels.
10. Runs inside out
11. Also runs with base stations if you want the best possible tracking.

It's got to have more resolution, but how much? Some are saying 4K per eye, but based on what?

FOV? Some are suggesting they've changed the orientation of the new micro OLED panels to get more FOV.

Rumor Mill craziness :p

That would be the perfect upgrade for my Index. :)

I also read that with Steam Deck being a priority for Valve they will not have production capacity and components to handle Deckard launch for at least another year. So hopefully 2023.

Sounds very logical and it's probably true :(

It's a long wait and until then if there's another candidate VR headset i will surely give it try. For now the Index is still the clear winner for me and both the Reverb G2 and the Vive Pro 2 could not persuade me to discard my beloved Index.

Last edited:

Vive Flow: wear it and look like a bug

FBimhJMWQAAgPME

• Deleted member 197115

In reference to that HTC Flow

HTC’s China President Alvin Wang Graylin replied “Hey Boz, Nice looking research project. Want to trade for a production quality device hot out of our factory?”

And a bit more details on that Flow

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Some more info on Arpara from VoodoDE, apparently the brand had some issues in the past.

Oculus has 3 prototypes including a retina display headset in prototype...
HTC Vive Flow - old tech, relies on android phone and old snapdragon
Pimax announces they will show their roadmap for VR 3.0 soon
Vario announcement in 2 days... Hmmm...

Meanwhile not mentioned in this video is that the Valve Deckard announcement may not come until Nov-Dec.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Oculus has 3 prototypes including a retina display headset in prototype...
HTC Vive Flow - old tech, relies on android phone and old snapdragon
Pimax announces they will show their roadmap for VR 3.0 soon
Vario announcement in 2 days... Hmmm...

Meanwhile not mentioned in this video is that the Valve Deckard announcement may not come until Nov-Dec.

FB can shove their headsets into where the sun doesn't shine, but did you see this https://uploadvr.com/varjo-for-all-teaser/

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care what Facebook announces there is zero chance I ever go there. PiMax likewise can shove it, I backed that criminal organisation once I wont make a mistake of giving them more money. But if Varjo comes out with something decent I might replace the Odyssey+, the Odyssey was meant to be a stop gap solution until PiMax delivered and ended up being a great purchase even though I imported it from the USA into the EU while it was on sale. Its been fantastic. Itching for something better its been years.

Even if you don't buy a FB Oculus product, if they can main stream VR retina displays, there is still good trickledown from that.

What was also interesting was that MS was talking about VR again and not just focusing on AR even if it was for something that looked very rough and 3D printed.

Last edited:
That's pretty wild. ONLY Nvidia GPU's supported.

Compatible with Index controllers and lighthouses !!!!

Zero screen door effect, great color and contrast.

However, requires another piece of software like the Pimax.
The headphones and microphone seem a bit lacking, but whatever, some people would like that.

I'm curious to see what Valve announces before I consider this, but it's pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Watch party

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • At a friends house