Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
1633095474079.png

https://www.arparaland.com/pages/arparaaio

I like the form factor, but not quite sure how they can claim ultra-wide FoV with 95deg...

Also, I saw someone talking about waiting for Gen 2.0 to come out.... I thought we were already in Gen 2.0 - did the stuff in the 90's by virtuality not count? I guess it was not really consumer grade... as well as being pretty shite... the frame rate made me want to chuck almost instantly... :D

Last edited:
I am still sat with the Odyssey+. There are enough VR performance problems doubling the pixel count is only going to make that worse! I do want more but we need faster GPUs and better use of the resolution with software to reduce the cost of it all. Just rendering all these pixels with large over render can't continue into the well above 4k rendering pixel densities, smarter has to come into this, what we are doing right now is so inefficient.
Take kunos ACC for example. They made a racing simulator in which they developed an User Interface that you cannot use properly while sitting on your racing simulator, with menus that hide behind your steering wheel. Think about the thought process that went behind that decision.

The focus for these companies, could have been to make "a great racing game™" many years ago, when they were indie developers. Had the VR revolution happened 10~15 years ago - because it is the most revolutionary tech to happen in racing simulators since the forcefeedback wheel was invented - basic things that we are missing now would have been done instantly back then.

Instead, in Kunos example, we now have a company that focused the User Interface based on the PS4/Xbox experience, and made fun of the VR community by writing in the patch logs "Fixed No Vr = no buy", whilst introducing the worst VR experience that I have memory of.

In short, their priorities are extremely efficient. Just not the same as ours. Fortunately, indies got wind of how to mod the original assetto corsa, and the innovation spirit is alive and well.

In all fairness, the vocal members of the AC VR community brought "Fixed No Vr = no buy" on themselves, with their constant whining.

That is not really fair to say. Those times were before it became apparent what the game was really targeting (consoles).

ACC was the next-gen sim from the makers of Assetto Corsa. You cannot blame the community from expecting VR to be a core feature from the most hardcore racing developer in existence. The "whining" was really just the pc community signaling Kunos of their disapproval.

That is not really fair to say. Those times were before it became apparent what the game was really targeting (consoles).

ACC was the next-gen sim from the makers of Assetto Corsa. You cannot blame the community from expecting VR to be a core feature from the most hardcore racing developer in existence. The "whining" was really just the pc community signaling Kunos of their disapproval.

Absolutely, I think I own all the acc content but I only race in VR, I have a few hours in it but thats only time I have spent trying to get it good. What kunos brought on themselves is people like myself not trusting them on future releases. I wont buy it until sometime after it is out and has good reviews. I will buy their stuff if its good and works well in VR but they lost a customer that used to buy all their content to support the developer.

I have a lot more time in AC than ACC. AC is fair from the ideal VR game because it doesn't have the menu in VR support for that slick experience that PC2 really proved was the way to do this. But ACC just runs too badly to be playable in VR. I have done all the fiddling about with settings and made it run at 90 fps but it looks terrible, the cars float above the ground and it is just running it can't always do 90 fps even looking like an early 2000 game.

ACC is what made me loose confidence in Kunos completely. I highly doubt AC2 delivers now, as a company they are off in the wrong direction.

But if........ Somehow Valve will make a standone alone PC VR headset that will let the GPU of the PC render together with an extra GPU in the HMD itself ?

Add to this FOV rendering and specific DLSS for VR ? Who knows what performance gains can be made???

Very, very and very interesting indeed. Better start saving for the deckard now, maybe a "base" is sooner than we think as in by 2022 autumn and the "upgrades" options later on.

Take kunos ACC for example. They made a racing simulator in which they developed an User Interface that you cannot use properly while sitting on your racing simulator, with menus that hide behind your steering wheel. Think about the thought process that went behind that decision.
Why can't you use it sitting in your racing simulator? It works just fin for me.
Instead, in Kunos example, we now have a company that focused the User Interface based on the PS4/Xbox experience, and made fun of the VR community by writing in the patch logs "Fixed No Vr = no buy", whilst introducing the worst VR experience that I have memory of.
With AC gave out that the menus didn't work in VR with standard game controller inputs. So they brought that in, it also has the benefit of making the game easier to port. I don't see how it's credible to say that ACC is focused on user interfaces being console like.

That's a lot to unpack....

If they do in fact accomplish all of the following, the odds of being able to handle the trifecta of high resolution, wide FOV and fast frame rates could be possible.
  • headset processing
  • eye tracking
  • foveated rendering

Why can't you use it sitting in your racing simulator? It works just fin for me.

With AC gave out that the menus didn't work in VR with standard game controller inputs. So they brought that in, it also has the benefit of making the game easier to port. I don't see how it's credible to say that ACC is focused on user interfaces being console like.
Because on a well designed sim rig, the monitor sits behind the wheel, and not above it. So, by having the menus occupying the portion of the monitor that is hidden by the steering wheel, you cannot see them. I have to keep twisting myself looking around my wheel to see some menus.

By testing the game in any proper sim rig, you would notice this flaw immediately. Yet, they were told of this issue back in 2019. Problem remains. Their thinking is backwards. They either only tested the game on their coding desks, or they think everybody is still using 21" monitors. The only real explanation is the having the design built to suit the console.

The good news is that the interface is usable in VR, even though the interface navigation itself is poor. How many people here saved a setup on top of the setup you wanted to load? Good design should avoid such pitfalls.

Because on a well designed sim rig, the monitor sits behind the wheel, and not above it. So, by having the menus occupying the portion of the monitor that is hidden by the steering wheel, you cannot see them. I have to keep twisting myself looking around my wheel to see some menus.

By testing the game in any proper sim rig, you would notice this flaw immediately. Yet, they were told of this issue back in 2019. Problem remains. Their thinking is backwards. They either only tested the game on their coding desks, or they think everybody is still using 21" monitors. The only real explanation is the having the design built to suit the console.

The good news is that the interface is usable in VR, even though the interface navigation itself is poor. How many people here saved a setup on top of the setup you wanted to load? Good design should avoid such pitfalls.
I've never encountered that problem because I use VR. I bet it doesn't really register with a lot of people because they haven't set up their rig properly.

I think once you get away from single screen controller set ups three's no standard. I know myself you can't think of everything when making a product and have to pick your fights when it comes to budget. So some people having a slightly obscured view probably isn't high on the agenda.
Kunos are learning with every new product, each product has been leaps and bounds above the last one. I'm sure they've got a list of all these complaints and will fix them for the next title.

• Deleted member 197115

Is it the main menu problem or in race HUD. If the latter, the HUD boundaries are adjustable, so you can move widgets so they are not blocked by the steering wheel. My wheel is partially blocking G9 monitor, I did make adjustment to the wheel to screen overlap a while back, originally monitor was sitting on wheel shaft which was just a waste of screen as I had to look at everything through the wheel with critical information always blocked, right now it's about 1/3 of the wheel and I cannot tell that there are any difficulties accessing menu items as you described. Try to drop wheel down a bit or raise monitor. With proper pitch setting you wouldn't be looking up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the main menu problem or in race HUD. If the latter, the HUD boundaries are adjustable, so you can move widgets so they are not blocked by the steering wheel. My wheel is partially blocking G9 monitor, I did make adjustment to the wheel to screen overlap a while back, originally monitor was sitting on wheel shaft which was just a waste of screen as I had to look at everything through the wheel with critical information always blocked, right now it's about 1/3 of the wheel and I cannot tell that there are any difficulties accessing menu items as you described. Try to drop wheel down a bit or raise monitor. With proper pitch setting you wouldn't be looking up.
Problem is on the main user interface. I cannot, for example, setup the wings of the car, because I cannot see the values and how to change them. To have to push a heavy 55" TV so that I can change some setups of the car, is surreal, in a game supposedly built to be played in sim rigs.

I can either raise the monitor and therefor waste screen real estate showing the roof of the car or the sky instead of the cockpit (might as well buy a 27" for that) or I lower my steering wheel so that it feels like I'm driving a truck instead of a racing car. Seat and steering wheel position should emulate real cars.

• Deleted member 197115

I understand your issue now, large 16:9 monitors do have wasted space on the top, had the same problem on my old 42" 4K. No issue on ultrawide though.
But isn't it the problem with pretty much any UI that is trying to maximize screen real estate, are there any sims that do it better, in other words, how UI should be designed to work around this that works equally well for small and large monitors, Wide and UltraWide. Unless it's adjustable via some settings, it's close to impossible to make something that suits everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 4 10.8%