Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Thank you for taking the time to redirect me. :thumbsup:
I do fully understand you.
In that pricetarget at least the kit should fit to the face reasonably.
But something I havent given a thought is the obvious small FOV.
Again to that price - no.
But I guess that some of the reason for the small FOV could be the ressource demand to the g-card.

Hehe maybe we have to wait and see if the Pimax 12K does arrive at the same time as a 6090 card :roflmao:

Read em' and weep.
If these are MSRP then we can expect most brands like Asus and EVGA to be a bit more expensive.

Then again if a $679 card is 15% more powerful than a 3090, that's actually pretty nice.

1654281407955.png

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

What headset are you going to pair with new 4080, there is nothing new, what's the point of upgrade.

What headset are you going to pair with new 4080, there is nothing new, what's the point of upgrade.
I have the 2080ti so the performance jump with the 4090 will be huge for me. As I have said in my previous post, the 4090 will allow me to use my G2 Reverb at ultra setting and SS:150% and solid 90fps.

• Deleted member 197115

I have the 2080ti so the performance jump with the 4090 will be huge for me. As I have said in my previous post, the 4090 will allow me to use my G2 Reverb at ultra setting and SS:150% and solid 90fps.
If your CPU can manage that. I had high hopes for 3080 and 3080Ti as well, but that 90fps at 150% SS just didn't happen.

So i got the rift s and it was impressively simple to set up.
The small space i have matters not to much for sim racing.
Tried AMS2 first, and yes wow. Incredible really.
Didn't need to fiddle at all yet and looked and ran really well.
So amazing so far.
One thing that is standing out to me is that i have become obsessed with checking temps of CPU and GPU to the point where i can't live without MSI afterburner.
It doesn't seem to work in VR so is there any others that work in VR to keep an eye on temps / frames etc?

Also if my nvidia control panel is set to limit frames to 60 does that affect VR too?

One more thing, i switched back to 2d screen and i was worried after hearing tales of "you'll never go back to 2d"
But didn't bother me at all, happy in VR or 2D.
Also i felt a bit nauseous and not sure if that is just the 'stress' of setting up etc and being a bit out of my depth.

So far for £120, I'm happy.

It doesn't seem to work in VR so is there any others that work in VR to keep an eye on temps / frames etc?
FPSVR on Steam does this for Steam VR, its got a few options although its support differs depending on the headset you have as to just how much information it can display but by default it appears on the back of your controller. SteamVR also has a debug option where you can see the render time for CPU and GPU and get an idea of how much headroom or how much reprojection is happening and it has an option to display in the headset.

As far as I know Oculus also has some tools for this as well, I have never owned a Facebook VR so not sure how to access it.

Also i felt a bit nauseous and not sure if that is just the 'stress' of setting up etc and being a bit out of my depth.
No its probably nausea, takes a little while to get your VR legs as its not a perfect fit for how human vision works so it can make you feel a little off until you get used to it. Driving cars is one of the better cases but if play an FPS with sliding mechanics especially without any comfort factors it isn't the best way to start your VR journey.

Last edited:
Oculus debug tool is hidden in the main folder, create a shortcut to desktop or install oculus tray tool, same thing almost. Assuming you are not using steam vr, if u are then use fpsvr as said above.

Looks like we are heading for an interesting situation.

Intel released the ATX 3.0 spec for power supplies that are required for the higher end 40 series GPU's that NVidia will be releasing soon.

Can anyone find an ATX 3.0 powersupply that has been released?

• Deleted member 197115

Cool chart, last 6 months.
1654730508722.png

Just curious if there is chart that shows which VR titles are played the most.
Plus I suspect the spike could be due to cheap Facebook Quest2 that most people get to just play BeatSaber, which is not an audience for Valve higher end, much more expensive headset.
Where there any AAA blockbuster VR titles released after Half Life?

That VR chart is interesting. I didn't realise you could break it down that way. I compared the numbers from that site to the steam totals for AC

1654759554864.png

Comes out a little over 60% on average if the numbers are right. Unfortunately the two sites provide the data a little differently, so I had to use the mean of the daily peaks. I might go a see where they get the raw data from and do an apples to apples comparison

Google sheet for the above here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AXgI0I8VCK7uXaNzwJLQz0nVoPc0f_LNQmGDmNct75I/edit?usp=sharing

I suspect the spike could be due to cheap Facebook Quest2 that most people get to just play BeatSaber
Yeah, that pattern repeats at the start of each year, so I suspect it's just people with new toys. I guess it gives a little insight to how quickly the novelty wears off though

That VR chart is interesting. I didn't realise you could break it down that way. I compared the numbers from that site to the steam totals for AC

View attachment 572976
Comes out a little over 60% on average if the numbers are right. Unfortunately the two sites provide the data a little differently, so I had to use the mean of the daily peaks. I might go a see where they get the raw data from and do an apples to apples comparison

Google sheet for the above here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AXgI0I8VCK7uXaNzwJLQz0nVoPc0f_LNQmGDmNct75I/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, that pattern repeats at the start of each year, so I suspect it's just people with new toys. I guess it gives a little insight to how quickly the novelty wears off though
Finally some facts in this thread. Fact is that VR is not dead and will never be dead for sim racing. And that what it's all about here on racedepartment.

Those numbers are completely in line with my expectations as I described in: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/unreal-engine-5-performance-in-vr.229335/page-2

Completely the opposite of what the OP here is thinking as we discussed there.

I really hope that Rennsport and AC2 and all other future sim racing titles will realize the importance of this subject and don't listen to the anti-VR department, which is now strangely enough also a part of racedepartment.

Without good VR support they lose a lot/at this moment even the majority of buyers of their title.

The future is great for VR in sim racing, simply because new headsets(current headsets are FAR from perfect but still better then pancake)/new software(see recent OpenXR toolkit+opencomposite developments that are awesome for sim racing!)/new gpu's etc. will be released in the (near) future.

Completely the opposite of what the OP here is thinking as we discussed there.
In fairness to the OP, I think they started this thread as devils advocate rather than an anti-vr rant, but have just become more disillusioned with vr over time

I really hope that Rennsport and AC2 and all other future sim racing titles will realize the importance of this subject and don't listen to the anti-VR department, which is now strangely enough also a part of racedepartment.
It's a big eclectic bunch of people here at RD and like all such things you get a few who are happy to be very vocal about a subject (pro or anti). I race with quite a few others at RD who also use VR, but they just don't get drawn into arguments about it around here

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.