Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

May be we need separate 4XXX series thread. Not much on VR for the last few pages.

I tried F1 22 this weekend and i can say with confidence say that vr is not dead.

The F1 game is a very good example of how much a game changes when you change to VR. Playing all official tracks in VR, which are all beautiful made, is pretty awesome and you get a so much better sense of scale compared to the Samsung 49" on which i used to play it.

My RTX 3090 is performing very good and i manage to get a decent 90fps in the Index with a 180-200 super sampling. Great graphics

By the the 40 series will be available, my RTX 3090 will be +2 years old.

Looking back it was a very good investment even though at the time of purchase it was expensive. But i bought it at retail, just before the insane price increase.
Same here, I've had 2+ years of insane fun out of my 3090 so what initially looked like a crazy price has proven to be a decent investment. It allowed me to brute force some very badly optimised titles into a playable state even on my ultrawide and has been fantastic in VR.
I'd be very wary of buying used 3 Series cards atm if they have been used by miners. Mixed reviews on how worn out those cards could be.

The Pico Neo 3 link has finally taken a positive step. The big issue was they had swapped the X and Y resolutions and were doing a very weird distortion to fix it and the end result was a horrible image. At the time I made the last post they were going to continue down that path so I had confidence it was going to get corrected properly. This week they fixed it properly and a lot of the image distortion is gone. For sim racers this is a better quest 2 since you can have uncompressed PCVR down the optical cable and it looks great now. The wifi 6 works too for PCVR so you can do wireless and it can also do the independent run its own games thing of the quest 2 and all it requires is an email address so none of the data collection of Facebook.

Its still a bit buggy getting in and out and with the sound and there is too much chromatic aberration currently, so its not ready yet, but I have confidence it will get fixed now after their U turn on the resolution issue.

1658258823054.png

So Meta Quest Pro for $1,500 with about 3.5Mp per eye or 7Mp total rendered release date in October. The actual pixels of the rotated screens are 2160x2160 or identical to the G2, but not all pixels are rendered. QLED, eye tracking, foveated rendering. It won't require a FB account and the hand controllers have 3 transducers in them for haptic feedback and some other goodies.

• Deleted member 197115

It won't require a FB account
It's interesting how they spin what essentially is just trading a donkey for a mule as you still need an account.

Meta will no longer require Meta Quest owners to create a Facebook account to use its VR hardware.

Starting in August, it will be possible to create a new Meta account that can be used with the company's range of VR headsets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact is that in 99% of all cases they can figure out what your FB account is and correlate your data that way and still sell info to their customers.

Right now FB, Google, and Amazon have piles of information that they can sell.

Last edited:
It's interesting how they spin what essentially is just trading a donkey for a mule as you still need an account.
And from what I understood; the new "Quest Pro / Project Cambria" has outside camera's of very good quality, they can send images/video's from the place that you use VR to Meta. I wonder what they exactly registrer and send to Meta...

I'm on win11 with a 3070ti and I'm getting amazing performance in AC with the reverb g2 when using openxr/opencomposite instead of steamvr. Steamvr is a major bottleneck.

Maybe you can help me. I have tried everything anyone has posted, and I am unable to get AC to run in anything other than SteamVR.
Have done all the normal stuff, made sure I did not have Steam set to automatically open in Windows settings, have not selected "Use Steam VR" in Steam settings, nothing works. Even tried the .dll files from here:

I have not run the OpenComposite.exe

As long as I open MSFS from the desktop, it will run without SteamVR, but if I open it from Steam, it will use Steam VR.

When I open OpenXR Toolkit from the desktop, it displays MSFS, and I can check or uncheck it, but AC does not display, so no way to select it there.

I am getting 90fps running with SteamVR, so I don't need to change, but I would like to be able to figure out how to make AC work without Steam.

I am using Content Manager to launch AC, not Steam.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Yearly

Votes: 30 6.8%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%