Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
They were perhaps hoping that might distract you from noticing that there was no availability date, just a $1500 price.
They had an avail date, it was q3 this year. Oh wait, thats been.

Its all just getting too expensive.. I am talking in my currency but thats a 3k headset, and then a 3k+ gpu. Its just getting silly so i will keep with my g2, 3080 and hope mainstream provides a good next headset.

We had lockdowns, we had no travel and people spending money they couldn't otherwise on stuff like this for a couple years but that time has gone.

Where did they get this obnoxious red head. The worst type to present product aiming at mostly hardcore tech crowd. May be for retired grannies or retarded kids.
I feel patronized and insulted watching it.
Yeah, using staffers to front your promos is fine so long as they're actually good at it.
Where's Aisha Tyler when you need her? Still fronting Ubisoft pressers at E3?

Edit: damn, had to switch off after barely a minute when he talked about 'jumping through technical hurdles'. You jump OVER hurdles, and THROUGH hoops. Looks like a staffer wrote the script too.
Pimax cutting corners to save money on presentations isn't a great sign.

Also:
Screenshot (59).png

Last edited:
They originally set the price at $1900, so they did lower that.
Considering the Aero is $1990, $1500 for this with more resolution or more FOV plus headphones and a few other things could be seen as "reasonable" by the people buying Aero's right now.

Yeah, I am not saying the price is unreasonable for the tech they want to deliver but most economies are at a point where people cant keep buying in to that price continually and my comments was probably more with the thought of nvidia than a niche VR maker.

A while ago it was $2k for the new headset and the new GPU. now its easily 2-3 times that.

• Deleted member 197115

Yeah, using staffers to front your promos is fine so long as they're actually good at it.
Where's Aisha Tyler when you need her? Still fronting Ubisoft pressers at E3?

Edit: damn, had to switch off after barely a minute when he talked about 'jumping through technical hurdles'. You jump OVER hurdles, and THROUGH hoops. Looks like a staffer wrote the script too.

Also:
View attachment 613576
Staffer, are you saying that someone has to work with this individual, in the same office? Oh boy, my condolences to Pimax employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take is that they are trying very obviously and desperately to rebrand.

There was some information in there, however poorly presented.

I still wouldn't buy anything until it was reviewed by a lot of people.

Staffer, are you saying that someone has to work with this individual, in the same office? Oh boy, my condolences to Pimax employees.
He's the Associate Director of Global Communications at Pimax Innovations, so probably responsible for this terrible presentation.
I did end up watching the whole thing. I mean, come on - there was dandruff and finger prints on the product close-ups, FFS. The whole thing was amateur hour, from the terrible script, the patronising delivery, and the MS Paint graphics... right through to the awful and overbearing music. Even his tie annoyed me. And talk about flogging the mountain climbing analogy to death.
Tech presentations need to be slick and professional to inspire confidence in the product. If this one was selling toilet cleaner I wouldn't be convinced.

He's the Associate Director of Global Communications at Pimax Innovations, so probably responsible for this terrible presentation.
I did end up watching the whole thing. I mean, come on - there was dandruff and finger prints on the product close-ups, FFS. The whole thing was amateur hour, from the terrible script, the patronising delivery, and the MS Paint graphics... right through to the awful and overbearing music. Even his tie annoyed me. And talk about flogging the mountain climbing analogy to death.
Tech presentations need to be slick and professional to inspire confidence in the product. If this one was selling toilet cleaner I wouldn't be convinced.
From the company that makes you wait.. They had a countdown to when the youtube went live, then once live there was a countdown from 30 that when it got to zero it went to another countdown from 5, then finally.

Wasnt it worth it for you when they did the cut to side view from the obviously much lower resolution side camera :)

It felt like the script was being read off a TV via sub-titles, instead of a teleprompter. There were all these odd breaks... between sentences.

The music was way too loud, and the the script needlessly dragged on. I ended up scrubbing through most of the video, and ended up stopping half way through.

Oh, and someone buy them a lint roller for Pete's sake! :roflmao:

It felt like the script was being read off a TV via sub-titles, instead of a teleprompter. There were all these odd breaks... between sentences.

The music was way too loud, and the the script needlessly dragged on. I ended up scrubbing through most of the video, and ended up stopping half way through.

Oh, and someone buy them a lint roller for Pete's sake! :roflmao:
It's absolutely worth watching the whole thing, not only for the pure lols and cringe, but also as a corporate lesson in how not to promote your products. Apart from the ill-fitting suit, the constant rock-paper-scissors hand gesturing, the fake handover to Goofy Kev, the sheer smugness of the delivery... I almost choked on my popcorn when he told the story of how their engineers discovered this amazing tech called 'magnetism' to make swapping lenses 'fun', but that screws might also be needed 'in case something goes wrong'.
IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG.
Yes... definitely a phrase you want to use during a tech product launch.
This video really deserves its own thread. There's an awful lot to unpack from it.

We must be a critical group compared to many. I've seen a link to this show up in some other groups and most of the comments are either excited about it, or complaining about the cost and lack of launch date. All comments were technical with none about the delivery.

So any bets on whether we both get an announcement and initial deliveries for the next Index before the Crystal is released?

Last edited:
Lol you guys… let’s discuss about the mean thing, the headset! Do you like it?
Freudian slip?

The "mean" thing is our attack of the presentation (deserved as it is)

The headset specs were already out there and Pimax always looks great based on specs alone. Unfortunately we won't know a thing until it is in a bunch of reviewers hands.

We must be a critical group compared to many. I've seen a link to this show up in some other groups and most of the comments are either excited about it, or complaining about the cost and lack of launch date. All comments were technical with none about the delivery.

So any bets on whether we both get an announcement and initial deliveries for the next Index before the Crystal is released?
The news is exciting even if the price is scary, but the shoddy reveal video gives an impression of a company with inadequate planning, ill-conceived ideas, poor QA, and one that likes to do things on the cheap in-house rather than farm things out to those better qualified. And that's just the presentation itself before we get to the actual product. But unfortunately, the two are inextricably linked in the mental image that gets formed.
Harsh maybe, but that's why these presentations are so important.

• Deleted member 197115

but the shoddy reveal video gives an impression of a company with inadequate planning, ill-conceived ideas, poor QA, and one that likes to do things on the cheap in-house rather than farm things out to those better qualified
Are you kidding, it's Pimax after all, not known for any of that. :roflmao:

Are you kidding, it's Pimax after all, not known for any of that. :roflmao:
But they are westernizing their operation!!!
Bragging about how many people work there now and showing off their incredible whiteness!

They are saying that they know in the past, well forget about the past because they are all new now and we can trust them!

Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Maybe next time they'll be woke and we'll have a trans spokes person showing their diversity.

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 297 34.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 241 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 159 18.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.8%
  • At a friends house