Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I found a shot I made through the lens of a G2 that shows this artifact glaringly obviously and I did a similar shot with my O+ that has nothing like that. Look for the white line of the replay timeline and the white buttons below it:
G2:
1666502370492.png

O+:
1666502438150.png

The O+ also has Fresnel lenses and they were supposed to be of a worse quality as the G2 got ones from the Index (which are said to be one of the best in its class), but here we are. Maybe I just got a dud, but it left a very sour impression on me during those couple of days I had it before sending it back

I found a shot I made through the lens of a G2 that shows this artifact glaringly obviously and I did a similar shot with my O+ that has nothing like that. Look for the white line of the replay timeline and the white buttons below it:
G2:
View attachment 610993

O+:
View attachment 610994

The O+ also has Fresnel lenses and they were supposed to be of a worse quality as the G2 got ones from the Index (which are said to be one of the best in its class), but here we are. Maybe I just got a dud, but it left a very sour impression on me during those couple of days I had it before sending it back
You have a problem, its not normal for a G2. I was about to go in and test soimething and I will maie sure I check out that replay line in mine.

Ok, so now I am looking for it, sure it is there, a good example is that line but I will not a couple of things, it was taken at the edge of the lens with a camera and you can make it seem worse than you will see in the headset.

I still find myself in the position that when using it for normal activities will I be put off by the fact I can make it misbehave in scenarios I dont usually come across?

Well thats generally the compromise most of us make the to get best 'affordable' gadget, one the excels where it matters with a compromise that doesnt rear its ugly head often. You didnt say you are put off by it in game, so dont let the technical tests put you off something that otherwise performs well.

I recall an update about 1.5-2 years ago for WMR that did really substantial work on chromatic aberration with my Odyssey+, was a really impressive improvement. My issue with the Odyssey+ is more the small sweet spot and how blurry the image gets outside of the central area.

The Pico 3 Link has really quite good edge to edge clarity but the Chromatic aberration is the worst I have ever seen, it feels like the image is seriously warping and moving about, it has a bunch of projection distortions and some pincushion distortion but its the CA that really strikes you.

Then with the Pico 4 and its pancake lense god rays seem to be solved but alas the image is also showing warping and there is still some chromatic aberration. But now there are new problems, parts of the image and being mirrored by the lenses in other locations, there is a lot of bloom on the lenses around bright objects which honestly looks worse than god rays did and the panels/lenses seem to be producing quite a lot of Mura.

I don't find either of the Pico devices "solid" feeling yet, too much image distortion to really get presence. Maybe a good implementation of pancake lenses will get there but this first generation is a trade off and one I think I chose late generation Fresnel's over it.

Ok, so now I am looking for it, sure it is there, a good example is that line but I will not a couple of things, it was taken at the edge of the lens with a camera and you can make it seem worse than you will see in the headset.

I still find myself in the position that when using it for normal activities will I be put off by the fact I can make it misbehave in scenarios I dont usually come across?

Well thats generally the compromise most of us make the to get best 'affordable' gadget, one the excels where it matters with a compromise that doesnt rear its ugly head often. You didnt say you are put off by it in game, so dont let the technical tests put you off something that otherwise performs well.
It did have a bunch of other cons compared to the O+ and even a small image defect, so I just sent it back and have been waiting for affordable next gen since

I tried to take a photo showing the periphery of my G1. I found it a bit tricky to get the camera in the focal point so the image is quite constrained. You can see the CA clearly in the high-contrast sections of the tyre and also the numbers in the HUD, but whilst it's definitely noticeable in the headset, boy do I have to really look for it. To me it doesn't look nearly anywhere as bad as the AC screenshot shared earlier. Is this just a case of manufacturing tolerances?

AL9nZEUWqb__bfsQjOvKACG_CwyKeoYu6DMANGGCGTMBA6cGGq_j20WedX-eT7ikQU1Y2Ddc-PmHZcpzVLOF_hfP6riCyGrrQL1p5VfLgq1ZAkhNPKNwmIrI5toXNaEYqX5BJneT0my92dRb6sQCNmiBZs5G=w738-h1608-no

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Hopefully Reverb is not the last "good" and affordable headset that is not from Meta.
1667234819278.png

The Pico 4 is out, and it's priced under the G2's list price even though, it's not anything amazing.

Pimax's Crystal and 12X will be just below and over 2K.
Aero right at 2K.
The new Apple headset can't be cheap.
I can't imagine the next Index will be below 1K, but we'll hopefully eventually find out one of these days....

One day the tech will be cheap, but that day just keeps moving into the future.

• Deleted member 197115

Looks like with VR it's a worrying trend of them getting more expensive as technology matures, not the typical other way around.
Sign of VR becoming a true niche, hardcore enthusiasts only market, well, outside Meta social junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be very interesting to see how Apple getting into the market affects things. I think it will be a real indication of where things are heading. If it bombs, then I think this will continue to be a niche enthusiast market.

A Pico 4 Link this time next year is about the best we can hope for as sim racers with limited funds.
And we were so close. Just a DP socket* away.

*I know it's not that simple, before Professor Pedatic pipes up.

A Pico 4 Link this time next year is about the best we can hope for as sim racers with limited funds.
And we were so close. Just a DP socket* away.
Hypothetically let's say someone with no self-control just picked up a G2 for $400 and decided he didn't want to keep it. What are the obstacles to selling it slightly used at a discount to someone in Europe?

I'm assuming there is no warranty support? Are there other penalties?

(FYI, I don't already have buyers remorse, I'm just talking hypotheticals here)

Last edited:
Hypothetically let's say someone with no self-control just picked up a G2 for $400 and decided he didn't want to keep it. What are the obstacles to selling it slightly used at a discount to someone in Europe?

I'm assuming there is no warranty support? Are there other penalties?

(FYI, I don't already have buyers remorse, I'm just talking hypotheticals here)
VAT, import duty, shipping costs...
Still cheaper than RRP though.

In half a hour we will see... ??? Vapor, or maybe a product? Maybe a new release date? Maybe a new price? What will it be? I'll probably find out in the morning. Been in front of my computer for far to long already.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Where did they get this obnoxious red head. The worst type to present product aiming at mostly hardcore tech crowd. May be for retired grannies or retarded kids.
I feel patronized and insulted watching it.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 37 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.3%